Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 07:56 PM

636 posts, read 706,596 times

Advertisements

4 out of 5 states that have the highest number of coronavirus cases in the United States including Massachusetts, are legalized POT states.

Here is the latest map at the time of this post
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 07:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
It also seems like all these companies that have shut down and forced workers to work from home expect business to continue as usual. It’s not. People are preoccupied with coronavirus. I had two deals (not big ones) fall through because of coronavirus. There’s no way business has been just marching on as usual in many industries the past few weeks nor will it in the weeks to come.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:11 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Unable to find the source, sorry, I've been reading so many sources- Lancet, CDC, Doctors Without Borders, Johns Hopkins.

Of course this is a financial/job/economic disaster. My current state of Colorado is now shut down. There is very little "work from home," and people in the lower part of the income world are absolutely screwed, and small business. Etc.

I find it pointless to discuss with you the seriousness of this pandemic for all people, even if many deaths are clustered in post-60 or already compromised. I am no screaming liberal or anything, but after years of working in hospitals, studying infectious disease and getting a master's in public health and going through several outbreaks, working in AIDS hospice and going through Ebola training, I can say that this is not an overreaction in the interest of some stroked-out near-dead old people. I'm done here.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:18 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times
That’s fine feel free to be done. We didn’t shut things down over Ebola or SARS. There are other contagious illnesses out there that we don’t shut down over either that kill.

I am alarmed by this but most people are surviving this. I’m also alarmed at life shutting down.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:38 PM

636 posts, read 706,596 times
People are spoiled in the county.
They need to have their brain stimulated around the clock, drink booze or smoke dope or .... they get booooooored.
They need attention so they get tattoos or talk ghetto to get the attention.

Sit home and read books for 3 months. Get tough with your brain.
Give it time for the virus to be contained and a vaccine developed.

Last edited by wror; 03-16-2020 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 09:51 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The mortality rate with the flu is .01% - 1 out of every hundred thousand. In your scenario, it's 3000 out of every hundred thousand. It's nothing like the seasonal flu.
And so far the death rate in the US from this is .02%, so yes slightly higher cause we don't have an immunization from it. I think the average death age is around 80. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking that lightly, but elderly are always at risk from the flu and other illness.

I get the containment thing at first, but at what point is that not going to work and we need to let this take its course. Just make sure the people with health problems are the ones that go to the hospital and not those with healthy immune systems. I really believe we are delaying the fact many will end up with this either this year or in future years.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
But kids are not dying, that’s kind of my point. I don’t want anyone to die. Just not sure we need to shut down entirely the way we are.
Kids are not dying from the virus, but if our healthcare system gets overwhelmed by people with the virus, your kid will die if he needs critical care for some reason. Young healthy people are at risk of getting no critical care for anything if our healthcare system collapses. Everyone has skin in the game.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:55 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I guess there is just no convincing people like OP. They've seen the charts and heard the arguments but whatever we say, they will just say it's not a big deal.

Doctors in Italy right not have to decide who gets treated, and who gets to sit in the hallway and die. The health system is overwhelmed. There are not enough hospitals, doctors, nurses, ventilators, masks, equipment or supplies to handle this. Hospitals were already overwhelmed before this whole thing started. ICUs only have so many beds. There are simply not enough resources to take care of everyone. They are still caring for premature babies requiring the NICU, trauma patients, cancer patients, emergency surgeries etc on top of coronavirus victims.

But it's just like the flu right?
This.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:10 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
This.
Panic is different than the flu, or anything. Healthy people need to stay home and will beat it and let the hospitals deal with the people with weaker immune systems. This is something we need to do, but right now the panic is worse than the actual virus.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:16 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
And so far the death rate in the US from this is .02%, so yes slightly higher cause we don't have an immunization from it. I think the average death age is around 80. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking that lightly, but elderly are always at risk from the flu and other illness.

I get the containment thing at first, but at what point is that not going to work and we need to let this take its course. Just make sure the people with health problems are the ones that go to the hospital and not those with healthy immune systems. I really believe we are delaying the fact many will end up with this either this year or in future years.
In Lombardy there is a 9% fatality rate. The rest of Italy it’s 2-3%. Italy is what happens when containment works to some extent. Imagine if they did nothing.

That’s what happens when you let it “run it’s course” in Hubei it was like 7%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts