Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2020, 05:08 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

If someone told me this would be happening 3 months ago I’d have said no way and never would have believed it. I get that we need to flatten the curve on this but it does seem amazing that we are going to the lengths that we are when we don’t do the same for the flu which does kill people. It also makes me thinks of people with allergies. Most schools don’t allow peanut butter or any kind of nuts as these things could make someone die or get them very sick. While we do this in schools that’s really the only place nuts are banned and it doesn’t seem like people are dropping dead. I realize people have died from coronavirus but perhaps the ones at risk should be staying inside?

I am fine with working remotely, fine with major sports being cancelled, fine with parades and other events getting cancelled but people’s livlihood are also at risk due to trying to make it so other folks don’t die from coronavirus. I can’t say this seems fair to them either. So being out of work for months and becoming poor and perhaps going hungry along with your kids is fine as long as you saved a 90 year old from getting coronavirus?

There are now curfews in place. People are having a lot taken away from them over this. I want to flatten the curve but I can’t help but think of others whose lives are going to be ruined over this if they’re In the restaurant business or any job that depends on tips. The numbers are going up everyday.

In the end it’s the people with the compromised immune systems and the elderly who will have to stay indoors. Not sure it makes sense for everyone to put their lives on hold. Not being selfish but genuinely concerned over the long terms effects of this on everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 05:23 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
I find that people who don't work in healthcare are the ones who say it's not a big deal. My wife works at a hospital and yesterday the were 6 presumptive cases. Today there were over 30. This virus is no joke, it is spreading rapidly and many people aren't taking it seriously. I forget how many days behind Italy we are, but we are in the same position they were less than two weeks ago and look where they are now.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:27 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
My mom works as a nurse for the dept of public health. I get that it’s a big deal but is it as big a deal as shutting down life as we are ?

I am not sure why the elderly and the ones with compromised immune systems aren’t just being shuttered in. Most people when they get it will experience cold symptoms.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:30 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,125,554 times
Maybe it should be killing more kids for you to care more.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:42 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
If someone told me this would be happening 3 months ago I’d have said no way and never would have believed it. I get that we need to flatten the curve on this but it does seem amazing that we are going to the lengths that we are when we don’t do the same for the flu which does kill people. It also makes me thinks of people with allergies. Most schools don’t allow peanut butter or any kind of nuts as these things could make someone die or get them very sick. While we do this in schools that’s really the only place nuts are banned and it doesn’t seem like people are dropping dead. I realize people have died from coronavirus but perhaps the ones at risk should be staying inside?

I am fine with working remotely, fine with major sports being cancelled, fine with parades and other events getting cancelled but people’s livlihood are also at risk due to trying to make it so other folks don’t die from coronavirus. I can’t say this seems fair to them either. So being out of work for months and becoming poor and perhaps going hungry along with your kids is fine as long as you saved a 90 year old from getting coronavirus?

There are now curfews in place. People are having a lot taken away from them over this. I want to flatten the curve but I can’t help but think of others whose lives are going to be ruined over this if they’re In the restaurant business or any job that depends on tips. The numbers are going up everyday.

In the end it’s the people with the compromised immune systems and the elderly who will have to stay indoors. Not sure it makes sense for everyone to put their lives on hold. Not being selfish but genuinely concerned over the long terms effects of this on everyone.
No you arent the only one but you are going to get pummeled here. I wrote a post on another thread about those with mental health issues, increased juvenile crime, the homeless, kids who need to escape from abusive homes and school is a safe place to be and to eat, etc. didnt even mention the economics of these edicts. And people jump. This is after all affluent Ma and how dare anyone else, how dare anyone, has problems that are affected and made worst by these rules.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:45 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
My mom works as a nurse for the dept of public health. I get that it’s a big deal but is it as big a deal as shutting down life as we are ?

I am not sure why the elderly and the ones with compromised immune systems aren’t just being shuttered in. Most people when they get it will experience cold symptoms.
The virus spreads from person to person no matter what. It doesn't matter if you're elderly, immunocompromised, or young and healthy. Someone sneezes and the droplets get on a doorknob. You touch the doorknob and then touch your face. Now you are infected and go home and infect your family. Your family goes out and infects everyone else they come within 6 feet of. This is all happening while showing no symptoms. Get it?

Old 03-16-2020, 05:46 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
You May think so but Italy’s containment actually worked.

You might see 2200 deaths in a country of 60,000,000 but over 1,500 of those are in just Lombardy a province of 10,000,000. If they hadn’t done those measures they’d be looking at at least 10,000 dead already.

Old 03-16-2020, 05:52 PM

5,741 posts, read 4,699,967 times
Perspective people.

This virus has a 97% survival rate. 97 people out of 100 that contract the virus ill recover just fine, and 3 people out of the 100 will die, and those 3 will be elderly and/or immuno-compromised. In other words, not much different than the seasonal flu.

Does the govt shut down the economy and schools every winter due to the flu?

Social-distancing is fine; just turn of the news and stop the hysteria.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:03 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Perspective people.

This virus has a 97% survival rate. 97 people out of 100 that contract the virus ill recover just fine, and 3 people out of the 100 will die, and those 3 will be elderly and/or immuno-compromised. In other words, not much different than the seasonal flu.

Does the govt shut down the economy and schools every winter due to the flu?

Social-distancing is fine; just turn of the news and stop the hysteria.

It's FAR deadlier than the flu, and way more contagious. We've covered this extensively. People really still that much in the dark over this? Wow.

Old 03-16-2020, 06:06 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
I worry about this as well. On one hand, I want to support my favorite businesses and for their employees to still have a paycheck. On the other hand, if I'm trying to stay in, then I'm trying to stay in (and don't feel it's fair for probably-low-paid restaurant employees to be taking the risk of being exposed to this-- even through takeout-- just as I feel for grocery store employees), and, I don't feel these times are certain enough right now for me to be spending on anything but essentials (eating out is something I spend money on rarely enough as it is).

I was having a... let's say intense discussion... with a coworker about this. She figures if everything is completely shut down for two weeks, all will be well and people will just have to feel the economic pain for a while and we can sort it out later. I don't think there's any way this will be solved within a couple of weeks (we might slow it down for a couple weeks and then it'll come back full-force; I suppose we can try to make it so it comes in waves for a long time that might be easier for the medical field to handle instead of one big tsunami but I assume that would mean regular shutdowns) and it's neither sustainable for people to keep going out for nonessential reasons and passing it around, nor for businesses to be closed and people without jobs, and that the government has to walk a very fine line between the two (and I'm not sure compromise like this is the answer, or if it will just mean both sides of the equation will be equally bad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts