Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Certainly don't think it's okay but do not like that you feel resentful that you've (and so many others) have done the right thing and she got away with not doing it.

If you're tired of my commenting, feel free to ignore me. I feel a need to address attitudes *like yours* in these difficult times.
So you think it’s ok to test positive and then go out and pump gas. Well I guess I’ll be part of the committee that will be angry at people doing this. It’s not about getting away with anything. It’s about spreading this to others. Really questioning your intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So you think it’s ok to test positive and then go out and pump gas. Well I guess I’ll be part of the committee that will be angry at people doing this. It’s not about getting away with anything. It’s about spreading this to others. Really questioning your intelligence.
Please read. I did say it's not okay for her to be driving around and being in public. I am furious with people who break quarantine and do the wrong things anywhere, including my own area. But I am not envious of their doing what they're doing when I am doing the right things.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:28 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Nobody said it was OK for her to go out and pump gas.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:33 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Omg envious?! Yeah I’m envious that she pumped gas.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
There's a lot of optimism about the projections indicating the peak will occur sooner or later with fewer deaths, both here and nationwide—which is great, of course—but not one of these projections has factored in wave two. I suppose there are too many variables to even map that out, but still.

Things are going to get very weird when we've "passed the peak" and pretend we can slowly get back to some sort of normal routine. We could easily end up right back where we are now in June.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:37 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Omg envious?! Yeah I’m envious that she pumped gas.
Certainly considered putting this poster on ignore but felt I wanted to address her lack of knowledge previously for anyone who might be reading or lurking.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:38 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
You should have been turned away if you weren't wearing a mask. Not virtue signaling, just honesty. There's no excuse to not make a mask to protect the people who have to interact with you.

Gloves are a misplaced focus. They're typically used to prevent cross contamination. I have been using one on one hand to be my "outside" hand and one ungloved hand to go into my wallet, touch my phone, touch my car, etc. But wearing a set of gloves and touching all the things doesn't do anything to protect. A mask protects others.
Maybe not traditional virtue signaling, but it's acting out the same way. People are treating this virus like being exposed to it is a guaranteed death sentence. I'm starting to see similarities in how people are treated to how people were treated during the AIDS epidemic in the 80s.

The high risk people and those who live with them should take additional precautions (and stay home), but treating anyone who doesn't act up to someone's accepted level of pants-****ting is suddenly a bad person who needs reprimanding? It's approaching cancel culture level in some cases.

I was on a flight in March and coughed. Within minutes I had 4 flight attendants at my seat (now donning masks and gloves) stating there were multiple complaints and fears about me and that I would have to undergo screening on the plane. Passengers wanted to know my temperature. I ended up with 3 rows to myself as other passengers fled my presence. This is now an accepted normal response to a cough?

Old 04-08-2020, 10:42 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
She shouldn't have been pumping gas, but I see nothing wrong with going for a ride (provided no one in your vehicle leaves the vehicle) or being in your yard provided it's not shared. In fact, fresh air coupled with deep breathing and some movement may well help someone recover and stay out of the hospital.

Getting scared of sick people in their own yards or cars isn't helpful.

That said, I live in an apartment complex with many different buildings. Each building has shared entrances, mailrooms, trash rooms, and laundry. The complex itself has one shared package locker and place to reload your laundry card. We know there's at least one positive diagnosis living in the complex, but no idea what building that is. The apartments are all 1 or 2 beds with 1 bathroom, so it's near impossible to totally quarantine from family within a room, so the whole family needs to quarantine. What scares me is the likelihood of these people going through the common spaces. I've taken to wearing a mask even to do laundry (just in case someone else comes into the space) and disinfecting every surface on my way in and out.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Maybe not traditional virtue signaling, but it's acting out the same way. People are treating this virus like being exposed to it is a guaranteed death sentence. I'm starting to see similarities in how people are treated to how people were treated during the AIDS epidemic in the 80s.

The high risk people and those who live with them should take additional precautions (and stay home), but treating anyone who doesn't act up to someone's accepted level of pants-****ting is suddenly a bad person who needs reprimanding? It's approaching cancel culture level in some cases.

I was on a flight in March and coughed. Within minutes I had 4 flight attendants at my seat (now donning masks and gloves) stating there were multiple complaints and fears about me and that I would have to undergo screening on the plane. Passengers wanted to know my temperature. I ended up with 3 rows to myself as other passengers fled my presence. This is now an accepted normal response to a cough?

It's not a death sentence, but not taking responsibility from easy things you must do to relieve the pressure on the medical system is wildly irresponsible. The person you may get sick likely won't die, but there's a chance they will need to get tested. Now that's one less test available. If they are one of the 20% of known cases who are admitted to the hospital, they are taking up a bed and putting doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc. at risk when it was needless if people acted like an adult, cut up an old tshirt, and made their own damn mask to prevent their droplets from infecting others.

I know quite a few people who have been hospitalized due to coronavirus. Few have pre-existing conditions and many are in their 30s or 40s - not considered "at risk" ages. All were fine, but did they increase the viral load for the nurse checking their oxygen levels? Probably. They also took up beds and resources from patients who are sicker than they are.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:48 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Certainly considered putting this poster on ignore...
How do you do that on this forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts