Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 12:05 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I kind of disagree with the driving part. The more unnecessary trips I make, the sooner I will need gas which of course adds in an additional potential transmission. I just viewed my CC statement and the last time I gassed up was on March 9th. Still have 1/4 tank left which I hope to stretch for as long as possible. This is unprecedented for me.

I keep forgetting how spoiled I am in my Prius. I last filled my tank (still was at half a tank) on March 8 and worked through March 13. I've been going on weekly drives of an hour or two, and am only down 1/8 of a tank.

I keep work gloves in my car for filling up at the pump and have taken to bringing at least one wipe with me whenever I leave the house so I can wipe down anything I touch before and after, and also wipe down my credit card.

If people are sick, infrequent drives when they know their car is topped up on gas is fine IMO, but I hear you on the increased exposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 12:08 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If people are sick, infrequent drives when they know their car is topped up on gas is fine IMO, but I hear you on the increased exposure.
Unless of course, you get a flat tire, get into an accident, hit a pedestrian or animal, require medical attention, or any other scenario that causes you to have to leave the vehicle (conscious or unconscious) and expose others who may respond to you.

Slim chances I know, but it could happen

Old 04-08-2020, 12:08 PM

295 posts, read 317,162 times
Those antibody tests that people talk about using before people are allowed to go back to work better be close to if not 100% percent accurate. Whoever is developing those gonna have to be ready for lawsuits if someone got cleared and then infect a bunch of people.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:09 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
I keep forgetting how spoiled I am in my Prius. I last filled my tank (still was at half a tank) on March 8 and worked through March 13. I've been going on weekly drives of an hour or two, and am only down 1/8 of a tank. ...

I get great mileage on my Subaru and am retired, so do little driving anyway (and as far as I know, am not positive). I hesitate to go to my preferred grocery store in the town 24 miles away because I admit to being concerned that I'd have a car crash and have to go to the little community hospital that has plenty to deal with now (and need to conserve PPE). It would be nice to take a drive, and heaven knows there's no traffic.

Easier to go to the local restaurant for curbside takeout. Thank you, True Grit and Beth's!

Old 04-08-2020, 12:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Quote:
I keep work gloves in my car for filling up at the pump and have taken to bringing at least one wipe with me whenever I leave the house so I can wipe down anything I touch before and after, and also wipe down my credit card.
Yup. I either use disposable gloves when gassing up or throw my gloves in the wash when I get home. I also have Clorox wipes in the car.

I have a Phonesoap for my cell phone, which is a UV light sanitizer. Credit cards, etc. that get used when I am out go right in there as well.

More places have embraced contactless and things like ApplePay, which is helpful.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
This is the new virtue signaling.

I got attitude today at the dealership to get my car fixed because I didn't have a mask or gloves on.. err sorry I don't know where the stash of these things is but I don't have them and it is far too late now. Don't "judge" me for not having them unless you just handed me gloves and a mask.

PS. there is now way to stop this anyway. Just slow the spread.
Make one at home! Everyone on earth is doing this. Where the hell have you been?

Jesus Christ, they were absolutely right in giving you grief.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:26 PM

636 posts, read 705,781 times
Just in---'Massachusetts Crisis Standards of Care Advisory Committee introduces guidelines for intensive care unit, recommends ventilators for younger patients over older people'

In my opinion, this is racist,perhaps white genocide in Massachusetts
Young people in Massachusetts is or going to be majority non whites.
Older people in Massachusetts are majority White.

Members of the State of Massachusetts's Crisis Standards of Care Advisory Committee that determined this edict that will allow older people in Mass. to die are majority Non whites.
This is my opinion.

Link:
https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...erwhelmed.html

Last edited by wror; 04-08-2020 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-08-2020, 12:29 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Go up to the top and click on "My settings" and go down to "Edit Ignore list" and enter whatever names you wish to ignore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
In my opinion, this is racist,perhaps white genocide in Massachusetts.
Who knew it would come in handy this quickly!

Old 04-08-2020, 12:35 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am not sure I feel much reassured by temperature checks, although it's better than nothing. The spread of virus by people without symptoms is pretty significant apparently. If someone has a fever, they might well not be well enough to be out and about, so testing and masks and distancing, yup.

Temp checks seem to be pretty common in Asian countries that have dealt with past pandemics. I've read some things that indicate that asymptomatic carriers may have lower viral loads, so things like masks and social distancing help combat the asymptomatic people while fever checks help control people who are symptomatic.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:37 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Temp checks seem to be pretty common in Asian countries that have dealt with past pandemics. I've read some things that indicate that asymptomatic carriers may have lower viral loads, so things like masks and social distancing help combat the asymptomatic people while fever checks help control people who are symptomatic.
Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts