Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 11:01 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
People can not use conspiracy theory for every argument. its weak and very lazy. it was a term used to broadly discredit anyone. you can label anything a conspiracy theory. some people question ideas while others blindly accept them.
But it's totally backwards when somebody disregards every expert opinion as well as hard data and facts, while giving very little scrutiny to more questionable theories that simply agrees with what they want to believe. It's a pretty poor reflection on one's judgement, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 11:51 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck can.

If you're willing to let the body bags mostly filled with poor people pile up, you can certainly open things back up without testing, tracing, and quarantining.
The deaths are almost entirely 70+ with some in the 60s. Average age who has died in MA is 81. It isn't quite a rich poor thing.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:17 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
So you believe an urgent care physician in Bakersfield CA with a DO from poorly rated Western University of Health Sciences is somehow an "expert"?
...and to top it off - the video is preceded by an ad for The Epoch Times.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:24 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and to top it off - the video is preceded by an ad for The Epoch Times.
I don't think they are related. Epoch Times has been preceeding a lot of youtube vids with their ads lately. I've been watching vids on MIG welding lately and every single one has an ad for that newspaper. My youtube search history has nothing to do with Covid or politics..

Old 04-27-2020, 12:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've been watching vids on MIG welding lately and every single one has an ad for that newspaper. My youtube search history has nothing to do with Covid or politics..
Youtube is owned by Google, they are getting data from elsewhere (perhaps even the speaker of your phone) and using it to serve you ads.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:19 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
kind of off topic but advertising has changed significantly over the past few months. Facebook ads have been dramatically changed because you can't advertise anything for political rallies or sporting events or for seeing a movie in the movie theater. I'm seeing much more smaller company ads for products that I would never see advertised before.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/19/as-d...ggressive.html

Old 04-27-2020, 01:32 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
So you believe an urgent care physician in Bakersfield CA with a DO from poorly rated Western University of Health Sciences is somehow an "expert"?
when do we quarentine healthy people because normally we only quarentine the sick?

Old 04-27-2020, 02:27 PM

162 posts, read 102,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

Isn't there already an effective treatment for this- convalesant plasma.
Most world class medical research geniuses like you would know to spell "convalescent" correctly.

https://ccpp19.org/index.html

Old 04-27-2020, 02:47 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
What makes you think you can't avoid contracting the disease before there's at least a fairly effective treatment? I had lots of years where I didn't get a flu shot where I didn't get the flu during a big flu season and that's with tons of business travel, conference rooms, restaurants, etc. If you live in single family home suburbia with no children in the house, don't use pubic transportation, telecommute most of the time, and adopt germ-o-phobe behavior in public, you should be able to dodge getting the disease indefinitely.
First of all, exposure != contracting. Now that we've cleared that one up...

A treatment is an unknown still. I could be waiting years for that to happen. That's potentially years of total isolation if I want a 100% avoidance (I don't, but since we're asking why I think one cannot simply evade exposure here).

I don't live in a single family home, I don't live in the suburbs, I have children in the house, I don't need to use public transportation for now, but that does mean I have to walk to places in Boston instead (I could drive to the suburbs, though...that seems pointless), and all the germ-o-phobe adoption in the world won't avoid exposure. Why? People who aren't germophobes walk past my front door (interior) daily. Hundreds of people, many of whom aren't germophobes, walk past my front door (exterior) daily. They sit on my steps. They touch my car. They spit on the sidewalk. They spill drinks. The air all around me is filled with everything from germs to bus exhaust. That's exposure.

I have to eat sometime, and groceries have been touched by many unknowns. Even if I do the germophobe cleaning of all food and items that come in, there's inevitably going to be a point I have to come in close contact with something or someone who could be a carrier. That's exposure.

Maybe someone who's so irrational about this they're wearing a cleansuit to the door and disinfecting everything in a dirty room before taking food into a hermetically sealed home could live this out, though that's not much of a way to live...especially if a treatment is years away (or never). Those types of places don't exist around here to my knowledge. Most of these buildings were built over 120 years ago. We can't even keep rats out of the buildings, never mind a virus.

No, sir. Exposure is an inevitability in all but the most extreme of extreme isolation, and that's going to invite even bigger problems than exposure. I pity those who are so afraid of the possibility of death that they forfeit any actual living in exchange for being alive.

As you yourself state, I can go out and do things that expose me without necessarily catching it, and that's exactly the risk I've chosen to accept. I've almost certainly been exposed to it though, and there's a nonzero chance I've already had it, so I cannot say with even a remote confidence that I've "avoided" exposure or that I will ever be able to.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:31 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
From the health dept where I am the cases are about 1,000. Which is about 0.6% of the population. At the same point exposure can be when these people go out and about as we don't have a mandatory order to stay at home. Not all show symptoms and not all technically are "sick". But...we also have a high elderly population in the region. A number of people I know in the area easily in their 70s.

Am I afraid of it?

No not really. I wash my hands, wear a mask, maybe wear gloves and use a sanitizer in the kitchen. Do I clean my mail, paper currency and have a air filter going with UV? No of course not.

But I also know there are many people that have weaken immune systems. If you are pregnant you have one, if you are obese, if you are in rehab you have one, if you are forms of medication for other aliments you have one (read the fine print etc). Now obviously we don't advertise "Don't do crack you might catch the flu!" but a significant amount of the population does fall into these groups.

https://www.brcrecovery.com/addictio...immune-system/
https://americanpregnancy.org/pregna...hile-pregnant/

What I am afraid is people that might have it and be fine that spread it to others. Until we have a vaccine people might not go out. I had a professor long ago that due to a heart condition could not drive. Likewise if other people cannot come in we're just going to have to telecommute. There's a difference between the government giving the OK and the costs of the businesses to accommodate that for their business plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts