Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 11:55 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In Massachusetts? On March 28 there were 4257 cases and 44 deaths. As of yesterday there were 53,348 cases and 2730 deaths
I meant per day. But actually I meant in the USA. We started posting 25K numbers at the end of March. Pretty much same numbers now.

Quote:
I was disheartened to see the amount of traffic, on both highways and side roads. It's almost as if people are getting tired and impatient and heading out just to avoid going crazy.
I see a lot of people going for rides but probably not going anyplace. I just went for a 3 hour ride. Gas is super cheap so why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 12:17 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
And honestly, I'd question the "shut down". I had to drive into my workplace yesterday (essential business...and it was the first time I'd gone there in a month)...from the Burlington area to the Rt 3/495 interchange area. I was disheartened to see the amount of traffic, on both highways and side roads. It's almost as if people are getting tired and impatient and heading out just to avoid going crazy. I don't know how much social isolation is taking place in private settings, but it would not surprise me if folks are "trusting" their close friends and starting to socialize.

I was walking the charles river and only 50 percent of the people had masks on. the walkways on the path where very crowded. I saw people in their yard with 5 friends socializing and having a grand old time sitting at a small table. Other then the masks it looked like a normal saturaday.

Two weeks ago someone was having a social gathering in their drive way with about 7 people all sitting close on lawn chairs.

My friend thinks people are seeing the numbers on how many are dying and thinking oh this is safe.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:23 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
This really hasn’t been much of a shutdown. The only things shut down are offices, restaurants, gyms, some parking lots closed off. People are free to do whatever they want. It does seem like most people are being responsible but who really knows.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:29 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
This really hasn’t been much of a shutdown. The only things shut down are offices, restaurants, gyms, some parking lots closed off. People are free to do whatever they want. It does seem like most people are being responsible but who really knows.
I think closing schools is huge, both education-wise and economically.

Of course many people are going to to visit socially with friends and family and congregate or not distance in public. It's inevitable, anywhere. It's one thing that prolonged the Italian health disaster and added up to a police-enforced stay-home order.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:42 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I forgot about schools not sure how lol. Also all the sports and kids activities have been closed. Ok so a lot has been taken away. I guess my point is that people are still free to visit whoever they want as long as both parties are ok with it. The police aren’t sitting around pulling people over asking where they’re going. People can leave the house.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I can not disagree more with there has not been much of a shutdown.

there are no movie theaters open or beaches. there are no electronic stores like best buy. there are no music or guitar shops open. dunkin donuts is closed at 3 pm in my town and closed all day sunday. There are no hair saloons or barber shops open. many restuaraunts in my town that can not handle the restrictions closed because it ruined them financially. Recreational marijuana is closed down .

all schools are closed as well as colleges. All but one gun shop is closed. I am sure i missed some here . No dental work now! there are no bars that can operate like they ussually do. all of sports and sports events have been suspended as well as high school sports.

Ya this is not normal.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:13 PM

162 posts, read 102,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The WHO is already backpedaling from the quotes in that article and deleted their tweets from earlier today.
If you can't provide links you have no credibility. Your opinion isn't a fact.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:16 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I can not disagree more with there has not been much of a shutdown.

there are no movie theaters open or beaches. there are no electronic stores like best buy. there are no music or guitar shops open. dunkin donuts is closed at 3 pm in my town and closed all day sunday.

Ya this is not normal.
Sorry but I don't feel your pain on this one! I'm a Starbucks guy...and it's been torture because only the drive-through locations are open. And even I ain't gonna wait 45 min in line for a latte.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Sorry but I don't feel your pain on this one! I'm a Starbucks guy...and it's been torture because only the drive-through locations are open. And even I ain't gonna wait 45 min in line for a latte.
Starbucks is way over rated and tastes like mud. Ya i forgot starbucks. why is starbucks closed but not dunkin donuts?

The starbucks in my town and the next town over is closed. you can walk into a liqour store. these closures are arbitrary. I know why liqour stores are open because of tax revenue and people would revolt in times like these if they could not get some booze in them. Even massechusetts people would get very angry if they could not get thier booze.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:45 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Some of the Starbucks closings might be because they don't think they can do enough business.

Best Buy is open, or at least all stores should be. Albeit pickup only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts