Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2020, 05:30 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
That link you have also says we can start to relax after June 8th?

Should we continue on this trajectory (and given the shifts in data, that's not set in stone), then it predicts that we can start a phased open approach after June 8. That of course relies on having adequate testing, which we currently do not. We will, however, have our team of contact tracers at the ready by that point but nothing replaces testing.

A lot depends on the next few days. Will we peak and then drop back down? Will we plateau? Will we peak, drop a bit, and then peak again as has happened in NYC?

We just have to keep hanging in there.

Washington State, Michigan, and California both have potential relaxation dates in mid-May. Their governors will not loosen up until the second it is safe. We will likely follow their lead when it's appropriate for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 05:34 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So you're also an expert on the US Constitution?
You don't need to be a expert and the bill of rights is not complicated to understand..

The attack on our rights are so numerous during covid 19 it would take someone to be completly blind of rights not to notice.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...y-during-covi/

here are a few examples from what i linked.

Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo is stopping automobiles with out-of-state license plates as they attempt to enter Rhode Island and denying them entry. She has also threatened to send police door to door looking for persons from the New York City region who somehow eluded her border dragnet. And she is doing this with no warrants, no probable cause of crime and no individualized suspicion.

In New York City, where Mayor Bill de Blasio has declared music stores essential to society but churches, synagogues and mosques to be nonessential, we have seen the boldest threat yet. He offered to close permanently — permanently! — any house of worship that presently holds religious services. This barbarity directly violates the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment that keeps government out of religion

we all want to get rid of this virus but to ignore the rights being violated is not responsible.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:36 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
with respect to masks Anything is better than nothing. Although I will say one thing that is a little bit hypocritical mostly in cities is that unfortunately there's still a significant part of the population that smokes. I'm going to call somebody out if I see them wearing an n95 and having a smoke break.
And that will do what exactly?

Old 04-17-2020, 05:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Should we continue on this trajectory (and given the shifts in data, that's not set in stone), then it predicts that we can start a phased open approach after June 8. That of course relies on having adequate testing, which we currently do not. We will, however, have our team of contact tracers at the ready by that point but nothing replaces testing.

A lot depends on the next few days. Will we peak and then drop back down? Will we plateau? Will we peak, drop a bit, and then peak again as has happened in NYC?

We just have to keep hanging in there.

Washington State, Michigan, and California both have potential relaxation dates in mid-May. Their governors will not loosen up until the second it is safe. We will likely follow their lead when it's appropriate for us.
Yes I saw CAs relax date is mid May and I can’t imagine that will happen

Well school is not happening in MA

Old 04-17-2020, 05:54 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
You don't need to be a expert and the bill of rights is not complicated to understand..

The attack on our rights are so numerous during covid 19 it would take someone to be completly blind of rights not to notice.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...y-during-covi/

here are a few examples from what i linked.

Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo is stopping automobiles with out-of-state license plates as they attempt to enter Rhode Island and denying them entry. She has also threatened to send police door to door looking for persons from the New York City region who somehow eluded her border dragnet. And she is doing this with no warrants, no probable cause of crime and no individualized suspicion.

In New York City, where Mayor Bill de Blasio has declared music stores essential to society but churches, synagogues and mosques to be nonessential, we have seen the boldest threat yet. He offered to close permanently — permanently! — any house of worship that presently holds religious services. This barbarity directly violates the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment that keeps government out of religion

we all want to get rid of this virus but to ignore the rights being violated is not responsible.
What kind of trash is this? The RI National Guard did not "deny" anybody entry into the state. It was basically a reminder to self quarantine if they claimed to be remaining in the state. The police going door to door was similar, basically to inform. Nobody was dragged out of their homes and hauled away. COME ON.

Mayor DeBlasio's response in NYC was certainly sup par to say the least, but again he acted within his rights as a mayor. Let me guess, if a church building had toxic mold; closing it off would be violating one's "First Amendment rights" as well?

I suggest reading up on these things before embarrassing yourself with this nonsense. And stay off of Facebook bro, place is known to kill brain cells.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:29 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I also noticed the model has changed (for the better)

June 8th is about what I assumed would happen in terms of starting to relax restrictions.

Enjoy the snow tonight

Old 04-17-2020, 06:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
What kind of trash is this? The RI National Guard did not "deny" anybody entry into the state. It was basically a reminder to self quarantine if they claimed to be remaining in the state. The police going door to door was similar, basically to inform. Nobody was dragged out of their homes and hauled away. COME ON.

Mayor DeBlasio's response in NYC was certainly sup par to say the least, but again he acted within his rights as a mayor. Let me guess, if a church building had toxic mold; closing it off would be violating one's "First Amendment rights" as well?

I suggest reading up on these things before embarrassing yourself with this nonsense. And stay off of Facebook bro, place is known to kill brain cells.
IF you dont find that violations then you dont deserve freedom. you dont care about individual rights.

IF a church building had toxic mold the members would congregate elsewhere in normal times. They are not allowed to congregate anywhere. The govenor has no authority to prevent people from assembeling . If people want to do it for the saftey of everyone that is different. Ever hear of seperation of church and state? I guess not.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-17-2020 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-17-2020, 07:51 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I know there are critiques of this model (and something is janky with Mass's reported deaths) but better projections as of today: https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite.../massachusetts

The projection is now saying that our peak hospital usage will be tomorrow and that our peak numbers of daily deaths will be Monday. Last week (earlier this week? does time exist?) they increased our projected total deaths to more than 8000. Today, it's dropped by more than half.

We can't completely predict the future, but I certainly feel a bit of comfort and hope from the shift in projections.
They were scrutinized very publicly by state experts here in MA (the Globe ran an article yesterday citing numerous local experts). So I’m not surprised they made adjustments to the model. To be fair, they took on the impossible task of taking data from every state (which is not consistent across the board) and tried to apply a standardized method for modeling outcomes for each state. They did as well as they could and I applaud their work. But this newer adjustment seems to be more in line with state estimates. In fact, it’s even a bit more optimistic than state estimates which have over 4K deaths.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:56 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
IF you dont find that violations then you dont deserve freedom. you dont care about individual rights.

IF a church building had toxic mold the members would congregate elsewhere in normal times. They are not allowed to congregate anywhere. The govenor has no authority to prevent people from assembeling . If people want to do it for the saftey of everyone that is different. Ever hear of seperation of church and state? I guess not.
It's "separation", in the 1st place.

Quoting a piece of trash like the Washington Times doesn't help your argument, either.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:06 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
They were scrutinized very publicly by state experts here in MA (the Globe ran an article yesterday citing numerous local experts). So I’m not surprised they made adjustments to the model. To be fair, they took on the impossible task of taking data from every state (which is not consistent across the board) and tried to apply a standardized method for modeling outcomes for each state. They did as well as they could and I applaud their work. But this newer adjustment seems to be more in line with state estimates. In fact, it’s even a bit more optimistic than state estimates which have over 4K deaths.

Seems like they were putting a lot of weight here on the fact that we don't have an official stay at home order. That hasn't changed our trajectory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts