Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 08:55 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Yeah I dunno - I have never heard of the Thailand Medical News, and I try not to listen to sources that I've never heard of. If it's in a recognized US scientific or medical journal, or a reputable medical or science news site even - like Science News, STAT, Phys.org, LiveScience, or on the CDC website, etc, I'd pay a lot more attention. I'll wait until I hear it there to believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 09:18 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
For what it's worth, here's a discussion in Science News of exactly this issue, from March 26th. They are referencing an article from Nature Medicine - that's a very well known, highly respected journal. The leader of the study, Kristian Andersen, is from the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla - that's a very well known and prestigious biomedical research institute.

They find unambiguously that the virus is not man-made, and suggest that it may result from genetic exchange (horizontal gene transfer) between bat and pangolin hosted viruses.

See Science News article here:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

And source Nature Medicine article here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9

Old 04-16-2020, 10:25 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That makes sense. China so badly wanted to ruin the economy and purchasing power of its largest customer that it released a virus it made in its own country, then funneled it through Italy to get to the U.S. as cover while decimating the economies of its other largest customers its dependent on. That is Trump level brilliance.
I'm ready for a simulation reset any time now ... please.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:30 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
For what it's worth, here's a discussion in Science News of exactly this issue, from March 26th. They are referencing an article from Nature Medicine - that's a very well known, highly respected journal. The leader of the study, Kristian Andersen, is from the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla - that's a very well known and prestigious biomedical research institute.

They find unambiguously that the virus is not man-made, and suggest that it may result from genetic exchange (horizontal gene transfer) between bat and pangolin hosted viruses.

See Science News article here:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...nalysis-nature

And source Nature Medicine article here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9
While I agree with the conclusion the study you discuss, I think using words like "unambiguously" projects too much confidence about what is a result from earlier this year. The actual article is decidedly more open-minded:

Quote:
The genomic features described here may explain in part the infectiousness and transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2 in humans. Although the evidence shows that SARS-CoV-2 is not a purposefully manipulated virus, it is currently impossible to prove or disprove the other theories of its origin described here. However, since we observed all notable SARS-CoV-2 features, including the optimized RBD and polybasic cleavage site, in related coronaviruses in nature, we do not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible.

More scientific data could swing the balance of evidence to favor one hypothesis over another. Obtaining related viral sequences from animal sources would be the most definitive way of revealing viral origins. For example, a future observation of an intermediate or fully formed polybasic cleavage site in a SARS-CoV-2-like virus from animals would lend even further support to the natural-selection hypotheses. It would also be helpful to obtain more genetic and functional data about SARS-CoV-2, including animal studies. The identification of a potential intermediate host of SARS-CoV-2, as well as sequencing of the virus from very early cases, would similarly be highly informative. Irrespective of the exact mechanisms by which SARS-CoV-2 originated via natural selection, the ongoing surveillance of pneumonia in humans and other animals is clearly of utmost importance.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That makes sense. China so badly wanted to ruin the economy and purchasing power of its largest customer that it released a virus it made in its own country, then funneled it through Italy to get to the U.S. as cover while decimating the economies of its other largest customers its dependent on. That is Trump level brilliance.
It’s true. The Umbrella Corporation has a Wuhan facility.

I think it’s just more right wing deflection. Stop funding the WHO. Invent conspiracy theories that China did this intentionally. Anything to take attention away from the total mismanagement by the Federal government.

I see that Cuomo is now demanding that everyone wear a mask in public places where social distancing isn’t possible. I’m totally baffled that Massachusetts isn’t doing this yet. It knocks down the transmission rate. Until it gets below 1.0, the economic debacle continues.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I see that Cuomo is now demanding that everyone wear a mask in public places where social distancing isn’t possible. I’m totally baffled that Massachusetts isn’t doing this yet. It knocks down the transmission rate. Until it gets below 1.0, the economic debacle continues.
The "masks" I am seeing people wearing isn't going to do anything, other than increase fear, which I think is the real intention. This thing is contagious enough that only herd immunity or a vaccine will stop the spread.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:38 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
I'll add that I do find it very strange that obesity is a high risk factor for a respiratory illness. America is of course so very fat.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'm ready for a simulation reset any time now ... please.
I hit ctrl-alt-delete a number of times already - it hasn't worked.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:15 AM

12,865 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I'll add that I do find it very strange that obesity is a high risk factor for a respiratory illness. America is of course so very fat.
Why is it strange? Obesity often has direct impact on the lungs, including a reduction in lung capacity. It also commonly coincides with other health conditions.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:26 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s true. The Umbrella Corporation has a Wuhan facility.

I think it’s just more right wing deflection. Stop funding the WHO. Invent conspiracy theories that China did this intentionally. Anything to take attention away from the total mismanagement by the Federal government.
I didn't have the energy to call out that conspiracy theory yesterday. It's been widely discredited just about everywhere but FOX News, City-Data, FB, and the NY Post, so it should go without saying it's an unfounded rumor, but conspiracy theories are their own kind of virus. It'll rattle around in some corners forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The "masks" I am seeing people wearing isn't going to do anything, other than increase fear, which I think is the real intention. This thing is contagious enough that only herd immunity or a vaccine will stop the spread.
By wearing a mask, you are greatly reducing the spread of whatever contagions you may be carrying. For a virus that is spread widely by asymptomatic carriers, this is a very important public safety measure. "Increase fear" is the "real intention"? Where the heck do your get your information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts