Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 02:04 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Our town finally mandated wearing a mask in public. I keep one in the car and put it on when I have to stop for some sort of interaction.
That's exactly what I do. Extends the life of the mask too, wearing precisely and only when needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 02:06 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
I'm 39 and pretty healthy and strong, but I still don't want to get this thing. I'm the poster child for getting a man-cold and my wife would kill me
Haha, you and me both. I don't want to get it either. I have a close friend who fits your profile above and he got laid low by this virus. He'll be fine and is coming out of it now but he is 25 days post positive test. The first week he didn't feel great but then got absolutely crushed for the next 2 weeks. Extreme fatigue and headaches. Luckily he did not have severe respiratory symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
...yet the restaurant delivery services (doordash, ubereats, grubhub, etc.) are being avoided - even with all of them using contactless delivery. People are scared to eat food that has been prepared by someone else.

If you disagree with what I wrote then please explain why the restaurant delivery services are currently suffering at a time when the demand for their services should be higher than ever. These services were thriving prior to COVID-19.
I don't disagree with what you wrote. However I can share my 'data point of one' opinion about food. We do take out 1-2x a week currently. I try to be careful about the places I order from; they are restaurants I trust to put a premium on safety over volume. I don't feel it is any riskier to get a take out meal than deal with high trafficked grocery stores or multiple people in a delivery chain. Here is an article from a reputable source I found reassuring (https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...tm_id=51541930).

As far as the delivery services. I previously used them a bit but do not any more. One reason if that close friends in the restaurant business unanimously dislike them and feel the financial model is not sustainable. Now more than ever, restaurants don't need a haircut on their margins. Another reason is I have the time to pick it up myself. There is no traffic and taking a drive by myself to get the food is sadly a highlight of my week.

Quote:
Interesting study here that I had suspected, but never saw mentioned anywhere. In hearing about underlying conditions, I always wondered if obesity played a roll. There may be something to it.
This is interesting and it does make sense. I saw another study last night that found only 1.3% of U.S. COVID-19 cases are current smokers, and 2.3% former smokers. I found this completely counterintuitive, but interesting. Smoke em if you got em??

Old 04-15-2020, 03:25 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This is interesting and it does make sense. I saw another study last night that found only 1.3% of U.S. COVID-19 cases are current smokers, and 2.3% former smokers. I found this completely counterintuitive, but interesting. Smoke em if you got em??
Statistics can easily be misleading.

https://www.lung.org/research/trends...tobacco-trends

Current smokers = 34.3m
Former smokers = 55.2m

That probable explains most of the variation. I'm sure if you were to break out the numbers by age group it would explain the rest (former probably skew older than current smokers).

Old 04-15-2020, 03:35 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Assuming your numbers are US smokers, wouldn’t that mean that smokers are significantly underrepresented as a proportion of C19 patients?

Old 04-15-2020, 03:46 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-ca...-2020/download

1755 new cases and 151 new deaths. Crossed the 1k death mark

Vast majority of this latest group of deaths in their 70s through 90s. A pair in their 40s and a handful in their 50s

Old 04-15-2020, 04:12 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Here are the town by town numbers

https://www.mass.gov/doc/confirmed-c...-2020/download

Last edited by sawyer2; 04-15-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-15-2020, 04:21 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I guess you missed this:
You're right - I did. The article I read had a poorly worded line I should have re-read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo sports
Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a mandate nearly two weeks ago saying only essential workers may continue going to work, and building a football stadium doesn’t seem to fit the definition of “essential.”

Old 04-15-2020, 04:26 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Poor Chelsea!

Old 04-15-2020, 04:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Poor Boston!

Poor Brockton!

Old 04-15-2020, 04:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You wear a mask in public places largely to protect everyone else. If we all do it, it really cuts the transmission rate. It doesn't need to be an N95 mask. A cotton dish towel is enough to trap the virus when you exhale. Personally, I don't understand why stores aren't insisting on it since it protects their employees.
I will start wearing a mask when going anyware .Soon it will be a requirement in most places I assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts