Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They should be able to drive to work, if anything. You'd think there be a way for the hospitals to work something out for parking, given how much of everything else is shut down.
I would think that there may be people who don't have cars. I have never lived in Boston, but this would be a big issue in NYC.

I suppose they could set up some kind of big car pooling situation. But would probably be a nightmare to manage. Better to keep public transportation, but restrict it for essential travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 06:34 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I spent the weekend in a large hospital near Boston. The entire hospital was a ghost town. I mean NO ONE. I was in the ER (Ongoing heart issue not COVID; sadly I have to frequent ERs) and it was a total of 5 people. FIVE. Never seen anything like it. Everything was running smoothly. Nurses say the panicking is out of control.
All hospitals are building a buffer in preparation for a surge. This has been accomplished primarily by canceling/postponing elective surgeries.

For example, MGH is currently running at about 70% capacity vs typical 90%+.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:40 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
This is a frank and honest plea from U Chicago infectious diseases expert

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/for...ess-conference

Old 03-23-2020, 08:05 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Home Depot could be essential if something needs to be repaired in the home. With everyone sheltering in place there is more wear and tear on the house. Home Depot is also another source for cleaning supplies. Likewise cars need to be kept up for grocery and drug store errands.

Agreed that they are needed, but there's no easy way to get in and out without possible exposure.

I drove by a HD yesterday to grab a few non-essentials and it looked like a typical Sunday afternoon in June with everyone and their mother there buying stuff. The lot was packed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
I spent the weekend in a large hospital near Boston. The entire hospital was a ghost town. I mean NO ONE. I was in the ER (Ongoing heart issue not COVID; sadly I have to frequent ERs) and it was a total of 5 people. FIVE. Never seen anything like it. Everything was running smoothly. Nurses say the panicking is out of control.
I wouldn't tell that to medical personnel currently working in NYC

It's a paywall...but the first paragraph says enough.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronav...ed-11584719908

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...rary-hospitals

I do know one hospital in Boston is currently converting as many rooms to ICU rooms as it can right now.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-23-2020 at 08:13 AM..

Old 03-23-2020, 08:16 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Ma issues stay-at-home

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...at-home-order/

In effect Tue at noon

Old 03-23-2020, 08:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
This is mostly common sense stuff and taking the keys out of the hands of employers who may have conflicting priorities. Essential business remain open and travel is NOT prohibited. I didn't see the full comments, but restaurants are not explicitly mentioned. I assume they will be able to continue doing take out and delivery.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-es...vices/download

Restaurants still can remain open

Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This is mostly common sense stuff and taking the keys out of the hands of employers who may have conflicting priorities. Essential business remain open and travel is NOT prohibited. I didn't see the full comments, but restaurants are not explicitly mentioned. I assume they will be able to continue doing take out and delivery.
Are they gonna define what's an "essential" business? My employer (to remain nameless!) is taking the stance that we're in this category, since we supply into an industry deemed "essential infrastructure" by DHS. Will the Commonwealth have its own designation, or abide by the Fed?

Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
All hospitals are building a buffer in preparation for a surge. This has been accomplished primarily by canceling/postponing elective surgeries.

For example, MGH is currently running at about 70% capacity vs typical 90%+.
Nonetheless, the ER doesnt cater to elective Pre-OP/POST OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Ma issues stay-at-home

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...at-home-order/

In effect Tue at noon
Which doesn't change anything really...

Old 03-23-2020, 08:48 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
this is mostly common sense stuff and taking the keys out of the hands of employers who may have conflicting priorities. Essential business remain open and travel is not prohibited. I didn't see the full comments, but restaurants are not explicitly mentioned. I assume they will be able to continue doing take out and delivery.
+1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts