Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2020, 09:19 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen studies on how contagious this virus is outdoors versus indoors?

It might be a lot less contagious outdoors.....

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...virus-in-china
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 09:33 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
If it’s true about it being less contagious outdoors and also true that it doesn’t do well in the heat then today should be a good day.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
If it’s true about it being less contagious outdoors and also true that it doesn’t do well in the heat then today should be a good day.
Forcing people to wear masks outside is going too far. I want to breathe the fresh air and improve my immune system. the authoritarianism is much more scary then any virus. I can see maybee indoors but people should not be forced to wear a mask outside!! I think its only when social distancing is not possible but i have to find the orders in my town and surrounding towns.

I found the govenor has his order but each town has their order and some towns might requre you to have documentation on why your not wearing a mask outside

Civil disobeidence needs to be the norm this has gone way to far.

I heard you are 18 times less likely to get the virus outside. A radio host quoted the study but I have not found it yet.

I might have to move to a state that does not require masks outside. Yes it bothers me that much.

In some states they do not require customers to wear them inside businesses.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Common sense says it's less likely to spread outdoors, but the 6ft rule should nevertheless remain the guideline to go by. In my neighborhood, I see no reason to wear a mask. If I was in a crowded inner city area with narrow sidewalks and many people out and about, that might change. I'm not sure how Baker's new order reads. In my state, it mandates that a mask must be worn "where social distancing is not possible". I think that is pretty reasonable.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:25 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

I don't think it is affected by heat- witness the epidemic in hot countries and areas. However, it certainly is safer to be outdoors because aerosol and droplet virus will be dissipated much faster and more effectively than in an enclosed indoor area.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:26 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Forcing people to wear masks outside is going too far. I want to breathe the fresh air and improve my immune system. the authoritarianism is much more scary then any virus. I can see maybee indoors but people should not be forced to wear a mask outside!! I think its only when social distancing is not possible but i have to find the orders in my town and surrounding towns.

I found the govenor has his order but each town has their order and some towns might requre you to have documentation on why your not wearing a mask outside

Civil disobeidence needs to be the norm this has gone way to far.

I heard you are 18 times less likely to get the virus outside. A radio host quoted the study but I have not found it yet.
I can bet who...someone with the initials RL, perhaps?

Old 05-03-2020, 10:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I can bet who...someone with the initials RL, perhaps?
Undoubtedly, or someone of his ilk..

Old 05-03-2020, 11:07 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
I would guess that, generally, it's safer outside. However, you have to consider that if you are in an area where people are going to be passing you while running or biking, they're going to be breathing harder and therefore, presumably, exhaling more forcefully and thus their molecules are going to travel farther. Additionally, there is wind. I think if you can be in an open air area and not too close to people, then you're probably pretty safe. If on a crowded bike path or something, considerably less so.

I used to be a runner (would like to start it up again one of these days) and I, for one, can't imagine running with a mask on. I don't think I'd be able to do it. I would guess there are probably plenty of others who are the same, so you may be more likely to encounter maskless people on bike paths and trails, etc. I don't don't know for sure as I haven't been near one recently.

Old 05-03-2020, 11:22 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Wind could certainly move droplets or aerosolized virus more, but would also cause it to dilute more and faster. Still, I don't want spit or any such on me!

Old 05-03-2020, 12:08 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
I took a drive along Quincy Shore Drive yesterday afternoon. Both street sides were packed with pedestrians, many of whom looked like young under-30 people not wearing masks and some were not even keeping 6 feet apart but walking along in large groups as young people are wont to. The ordinance is going to be as hard to enforce as jaywalking and we're going to have a long hot summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts