Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 04:51 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I don't think so. All you need to do is observe what's currently happening regarding food. It is nearly impossible to get a grocery delivery...yet the restaurant delivery services (doordash, ubereats, grubhub, etc.) are being avoided - even with all of them using contactless delivery. People are scared to eat food that has been prepared by someone else.

If you disagree with what I wrote then please explain why the restaurant delivery services are currently suffering at a time when the demand for their services should be higher than ever. These services were thriving prior to COVID-19.
I don't doubt there's a lot of people huddled in the fetal position at home worried that the Covid will break in and kill them. I also can't speak for grocery delivery as I'm still walking to the stores to pick up food.

Every time I walk out the door and down the street, there's other people walking down the street and still some levels of auto traffic on the streets (both Boylston and Mass Ave are significantly lighter than pre-Covid but they're hardly abandoned and I'm still seeing 10-15 cars stopped at lights during the day).

A few restaurants' staff I've talked to while waiting on takeout have indicated that their business is doing quite well on takeout and delivery. I guess they could be lying to me. I don't know how that directly impacts the delivery services like DoorDash/Uber Eats, but takeout/delivery in general seems to still be used. More than once I've had to wait outside on 6-foot markers spaced from other people while waiting on takeout, and there's been some talk about discouraging that behavior as some places are getting a few too many people hanging out waiting for takeout.

As this is a state-wide forum, context probably also matters here. I know on the few times I've headed out to the burbs since this started (places like Dedham or Burlington) the air seems to have more panic in it. Longer lines for grocery stores, empty shelves, and the like. In central Boston, however (Back Bay/South End at least), things are quiet but there's still a lot of life. There's a lot of times on any given walk I have to step into the street or wait for someone to pass just to maintain the 6' distance rule. Titus Sparrow will have 10-20 people hanging around or playing with their kids. People on benches chatting with people 6' away from them. Like other parks, the city had to tie off the basketball hoops and put signs on the swings just to keep people off, though I still see the tennis court used. I can walk to Star and find everything I need and be out in under 20 minutes.

Given our thin walls, I can say doorbell-ringing/deliveries are happening with some frequency.

I'm seeing more masks being worn, but there's still a lot of people not wearing masks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 07:06 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Default MA Coronavirus Cases by Town

Just released on Boston.com. Take a look at your community's numbers. It's depressing but important info.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...s-towns-cities

No surprise the cities have the most cases because of many reasons. They're sure to go up in this near future as well.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:16 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Just released on Boston.com. Take a look at your community's numbers. It's depressing but important info.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...s-towns-cities

No surprise the cities have the most cases because of many reasons. They're sure to go up in this near future as well.
Chelsea. WOW.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:30 PM

27 posts, read 46,032 times
Number of cases negatively correlates with per capita income of the town.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:27 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Agawam is high because it raced through a nursing home but I didn't know it was THAT high. Why is Longmeadow relatively high?

Old 04-15-2020, 08:39 PM

162 posts, read 102,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I always wondered if obesity played a roll.
I'm sure you meant "role" or were you thinking jelly roll, roll of flab, roast beef on a bulky roll?

Old 04-15-2020, 09:02 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I don't doubt there's a lot of people huddled in the fetal position at home worried that the Covid will break in and kill them.
Even if you don't give a damn about others, it's in everyone's best interests to do exactly what you described.

You want the economy re-opened? It's the people with your mindset that are responsible not only for tons of deaths but also for keeping the economy shut down.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:14 PM

228 posts, read 161,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Even if you don't give a damn about others, it's in everyone's best interests to do exactly what you described.

You want the economy re-opened? It's the people with your mindset that are responsible not only for tons of deaths but also for keeping the economy shut down.

And it's the people like you that throw false accusations and false assumptions.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:58 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Longmeadow might be due to the nursing home. Williamstown is sky high

Old 04-15-2020, 11:05 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
For what it's worth, I have also recently received my masks and gloves and wear them when going into stores now. I figure I might as well do my part and we may well soon be mandated to do so anyway. It's a relatively small adjustment, in the context of all that's happening. Some people seem to take some perverse pride in not participating in mitigation efforts - I don't understand that mindset really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts