Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 08:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Also, a critical thinker not only scrutinizes the sources but also goes out and seeks the truth. Care to share what you know about federal quarantining laws as well as the broad powers state and local governments have over such when it comes to public health (and past court decisions on the matter)? I really want to hear what you think you know...

Not real sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying somebody CAN yell fire in a crowded theater???
I dont know what federal quarentene laws are I never looked them up. I am for quarentening select people but not shuting down a whole state but maybe in the case for new york.

I would acctually have the quarentene days longer then what they suggest I would have it at 28 days like china does. China thinks to feel there are some cases where incubation period can almost be a month.
When I first heard of the virus I heard that it could be a month where some get no symptoms.

What they did was a one size fits all around the country was wrong. Sure in city areas a lockdown would make more sense where the cases are high versus a very remote area in a state where there is hardly any cases. Some states are hit more then others that is why the plan to open everything up in the country does not open everything up at once and is determined by the number of cases going down to enter the phases.

In terms of religious gatherings it was my understanding that they where prohibited in many states that no number of people where allowed. That you could not even have 10 people because religious gatherings where considered nonessential. I would assume that to be the case with Massechusetts.

I explained that under the bill of rights they can NOT stop religous gatherings because its a freedom of speech right. Unless the speech incites immediate violence it is protected speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 08:52 AM

12,435 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
This is a very good site that is updated constantly. I have used it to follow my former county in Mass. and counties in my current state of Colorado.

The numbers are going up in non-coastal areas, especially non-coastal smaller city areas. Because these areas are not as densely populated as coastal cities, the numbers don't look as bad, but there is no question of virus spread and increasing numbers of infections. Of course, such numbers are also a matter of testing, so it's somewhat arbitrary.
You're right that when it comes to confirmed cases, the counts are convoluted by testing rates. Sadly, testing at the national level anyway, has not increased appreciably for 3 weeks now.

This is a big problem that many people are pointing out. The White House has been denying this plateau in testing capacity at first and now has flipped to saying that testing is really a state issue and the White House and Federal govt have no responsibility. As Dr Fauci and other public health experts have stressed, high testing capacity and contact tracing abilities are critical for being able to reopen the economy safely.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:53 AM

New study might shed light on corona virus. Way more people have it then thought and be asymptomatic. They tested a county in Santa Clara with over 3,000 tests. They think the number of people who have it might be at least 50 times higher but those people are Asymptomatic. This could prove the death rate from covid-19 is much much lower.

https://paloaltoonline.com/news/2020...by-coronavirus

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...463v1.full.pdf

I think there was recent study in Chelsea mass. Way more people are asymotomatic then thought which could mean way more people that have it don't even know.

This is only a theory but some say california numbers for death is so low because they are linked with China from travel more then other states and that the bad flu season in December and January was acctually covid-19 and now tons of people have antibodies and immunity to it which if true would be good news.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:02 AM

12,435 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
New study might shed light on corona virus. Way more people have it then thought and be asymptomatic. They tested a county in Santa Clara with over 3,000 tests. They think the number of people who have it might be at least 50 times higher but those people are Asymptomatic. This could prove the death rate from covid-19 is much much lower.

https://paloaltoonline.com/news/2020...by-coronavirus

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...463v1.full.pdf

I think there was recent study in Chelsea mass. Way more people are asymotomatic then thought which could mean way more people that have it don't even know.

This is only a theory but some say california numbers for death is so low because they are linked with China from travel more then other states and that the bad flu season in December and January was acctually covid-19 and now tons of people have antibodies and immunity to it which if true would be good news.
If it's true, then that would refer to the percent mortality. The absolute mortality numbers right now are brutal. "From April 9 to 15, at least 13,613 people died from COVID-19 [in the US], compared with 9,801 the week before." This is worse than a 9/11 attack every 2 days.
https://www.businessinsider.com/char...cer-flu-2020-4

Old 04-19-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If it's true, then that would refer to the percent mortality. The absolute mortality numbers right now are brutal. "From April 9 to 15, at least 13,613 people died from COVID-19 [in the US], compared with 9,801 the week before." This is worse than a 9/11 attack every 2 days.
https://www.businessinsider.com/char...cer-flu-2020-4

Ya it also could prove this virus spreads like wildfire way more then thought. Ya i saw the 13 thousand deaths on tv that is not good.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:21 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
While those numbers are very bad, they don't differentiate between people who died with coronavirus vs because of coronavirus. Also curious how many of those who died due to the virus would have also died of another more common respiratory illnesses.

Very hard to tell what is happening in real time, but there are some interesting studies like the ones out of Santa Clara, Chelsea, the Boston homeless shelter, Vo Italy, etc. that all seem to be pointing in a similar direction despite differences in their methods and locations.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 1,129 times
This world is going unnoticed. We are going through a really bad time. I just want to say, "stay safe with the virus situation".

Old 04-19-2020, 11:46 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisondaviiss View Post
This world is going unnoticed. We are going through a really bad time. I just want to say, "stay safe with the virus situation".
Today's Boston Globe had some 15 pages of obituaries. Usually has one or two.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:17 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Many local deaths at home due to Covid symptoms are not being tested and therefor not counted. So when you see the death toll, resalize there are more deaths not taken into account

Old 04-19-2020, 12:25 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Many local deaths at home due to Covid symptoms are not being tested and therefor not counted. So when you see the death toll, resalize there are more deaths not taken into account
There has never been any proof of that. Me thinks they just see their opportunity to inflate the numbers and get more federal funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts