Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Direct Link to video: https://www.tiktok.com/@mannat.arya/...87536831139078

Yeah, it's not the college kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2020, 08:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
https://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus/...ting-dashboard

Old 10-24-2020, 10:56 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Ah yes. Tiktok. The news source..

Old 10-24-2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Basically this. Everyone screaming for more action: what action do you think is realistic? In a society that prides itself on disobedience, anything that expects us to do better is already doomed to failure.

Stopping the spread of infection was never the plan. Slowing it a little, yes, and that’s been done. Now we’re at the part where we ride through this until herd immunity. Hundreds of thousands more will die before we’re done, but most of what can realistically be done has been done. It’s just tweaking things here and there to keep the ICUs from overflowing.

There are no options on the table where this goes away soon.

This is nonsense. Turn back all the reopening phases. All schools (and colleges) are remote. Only essential businesses can be open. Restaurants are takeout and delivery only. Instructions to stay home if it's not essential. You know, just like it had been.

It worked before, and the curve was indeed flattened. Even with a lot of stuff being reopened, we were still relatively fine. Everything fell apart when the schools and colleges reopened. That's the reality. Those dashboards are controlled by businesses with a major financial interest and there's no oversight. In other words, they can't be trusted.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:28 AM

Just under 84k new cases in the US on Friday. The highest amount ever.

Old 10-25-2020, 06:26 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This is nonsense. Turn back all the reopening phases. All schools (and colleges) are remote. Only essential businesses can be open. Restaurants are takeout and delivery only. Instructions to stay home if it's not essential. You know, just like it had been.

It worked before, and the curve was indeed flattened. Even with a lot of stuff being reopened, we were still relatively fine. Everything fell apart when the schools and colleges reopened. That's the reality. Those dashboards are controlled by businesses with a major financial interest and there's no oversight. In other words, they can't be trusted.
If you think people will respond to a second shutdown the same way they did in March, you've been isolated so long you forgot how Americans think. Many are still hurting from the impact of the first shutdowns, and are not going to respond well to being told to do it all over again. This action would drive people into the anti-masker and noncompliance camps in droves.

Like I said last week, go ahead and shut down the restaurants so you can watch people gather somewhere else instead. Look back to Prohibition to see how far people will go to not comply with something they don't like anymore.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:18 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
With viral poop loads at or exceeding March levels, and given the accessibility of testing now, vs then, I wonder if asymptomatic (or very minor symptom) spread is far more prevalent than we thought.

I don’t really get a sense of any urgency with the general public. Outside of C-D and maybe a few friends in my circle, many people I talk to are completely unaware cases are climbing back up.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-25-2020 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-25-2020, 08:41 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
With viral poop loads at or exceeding March levels, and given the accessibility of testing now, vs then, I wonder if asymptomatic (or very minor symptom) spread is far more prevalent than we thought.

I don’t really get a sense of any urgency with the general public. Outside of C-D and maybe a few friends in my circle, many people I talk to are unaware cases are climbing back up.
Our town flipped from green to red, and people are definitely talking about it. I don't see it affecting easily observable behavior, but people are well aware we're heading in the wrong direction.

I'll admit I'm dense to many subjects and sources of information, but I don't understand the wastewater testing data at all. I haven't seen that measured before (though it obviously has been), and I don't know what the graphs are supposed to tell me. How do we know it's not just a few dozen infected McDonald's bingers who are continuously evacuating their bowels?

Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

I don’t really get a sense of any urgency with the general public. Outside of C-D and maybe a few friends in my circle, many people I talk to are completely unaware cases are climbing back up.
I would agree with this. In fact, our workplace is making plans for the "return to office" phase. And I'm wondering whether I should make the decision-makers aware of the what's going on (e.g. 4 --> 63 red communities in a short time). Not sure I would reopen while we're still on the upslope.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
If you think people will respond to a second shutdown the same way they did in March, you've been isolated so long you forgot how Americans think. Many are still hurting from the impact of the first shutdowns, and are not going to respond well to being told to do it all over again. This action would drive people into the anti-masker and noncompliance camps in droves.

Like I said last week, go ahead and shut down the restaurants so you can watch people gather somewhere else instead. Look back to Prohibition to see how far people will go to not comply with something they don't like anymore.

I don't think people would respond well. As I said earlier in the thread, people were burning masks in the streets of NYC when 9 zip codes recently got shutdown. That reaction was short lived, though.

And you're correct that some people would go out of their way to not comply, but those people would be the small minority. Overall, we'd be in a far better place than we are now...and that's a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts