Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2020, 03:46 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
We hiked a mountain up north last month. The general practice for hikers passing each other was to pull up a neck gaiter or put on a mask as they approached/passed as a courtesy. Most everyone was good about this (this has been the case on all of our hikes this year). When we approached the parking lot on our way out, there was a guy likely in his late 60s/early 70s starting upward with no mask (already huffing and sweating profusely). We put ours up anyway to be polite. He stopped in front of us and said, verbatim, "Guys, the death rate from this is lower than the flu, you don't need to live in fear! Don't be sheep!" I'm not so bothered by people having their own thoughts on COVID that differ from my own. I'm more concerned about the cult-like adoption of the views and the regurgitation of exactly the same language and facts (largely inaccurate) that the rest of the cult is using. I mean, there's not even the slightest effort to have a personalized/unique take on the issues. The "sheep" irony would be funny if it weren't so scary.
I know we're supposed to be empathetic to all life and all, but I've basically hit the point where people like this are welcome to go play their stupid games and win their stupid prizes. Unfortunately, it won't thin the gene pool much since half of them already procreated decades ago, though it might be injected with some bleach (literally and figuratively, it seems).

It's going to be a really big group prize for the Darwin awards this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Silver lining...death rates are dropping. That’s for all ages too.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...19-death-rates

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...hs-11603388389

Old 10-28-2020, 05:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Connecticut has added Massachusetts to the plague people quarantine list and removed Rhode Island. Oh, the irony.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:58 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
500,000 new cases over the last week in the US - new record - 'Rounding the turn'

Old 10-28-2020, 08:23 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
500,000 new cases over the last week in the US - new record - 'Rounding the turn'
The good news is studies like the recent published NYU Langone study are suggesting much better recovery rates. Hospitalization deaths were lowered from 25.6 percentage points to 7.6 percentage points.

If the MA populace can continue to manage good social distancing and future hospital 'runs', we should maintain very low death counts. The big one is obviously vigilant testing and PPE in retirement communities.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:24 AM

16,398 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I really feel like there is no solution to stopping the spread at this point. It's basically become a stay home if you're scared type deal and the rest of us just have to deal with what comes next. 500k new cases in one week seems like a ton but clearly people are out and about and who can stop them?

I'm also tired of people blaming Baker and Trump for all this. I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of theirs, but they have no control over who masks up or stays home or has parties. They're damned if they do for closing things or opening them!

Schools are closed, rinks are closed - my life has certainly been affected by this, I've had no choice but to deal with these closures and watch my kids have less to do. I think people are tired of worrying about other people in all this to be honest. I personally don't care if some nervous nelly wants to sit in the house all day or if another person has parties. Whatever other people do it's not going to change my situation at this point. I'm already not allowed to have my kids in school full time or play the sport that keeps them active.

Thanks to whoever ate the damn bat in China. What a mess you've made for the world.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:35 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I really feel like there is no solution to stopping the spread at this point. It's basically become a stay home if you're scared type deal and the rest of us just have to deal with what comes next. 500k new cases in one week seems like a ton but clearly people are out and about and who can stop them?

I'm also tired of people blaming Baker and Trump for all this. I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of theirs, but they have no control over who masks up or stays home or has parties. They're damned if they do for closing things or opening them!

Schools are closed, rinks are closed - my life has certainly been affected by this, I've had no choice but to deal with these closures and watch my kids have less to do. I think people are tired of worrying about other people in all this to be honest. I personally don't care if some nervous nelly wants to sit in the house all day or if another person has parties. Whatever other people do it's not going to change my situation at this point. I'm already not allowed to have my kids in school full time or play the sport that keeps them active.

Thanks to whoever ate the damn bat in China. What a mess you've made for the world.

I take it you haven't lost loved ones or know any long haulers.

I'm sick of being called a "nervous nelly" for doing the bare minimum in a pandemic.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:38 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I take it you haven't lost loved ones or know any long haulers.

I'm sick of being called a "nervous nelly" for doing the bare minimum in a pandemic.
I haven't lost a loved one to covid, no. I also know you don't have young children. Parents are exhausted from working at home (or away from home or not even working) and trying to entertain kids all day. I'm at the point where my kids are just important as an 80 year old person everyone is trying to keep safe. Those people can stay home and limit contact and there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM

I'll also add that any time I've gone out to a restaurant I'm shocked by all the 85 year old people I see out to eat. So give me a break. If all these elderly people that everyone wants safe and healthy are going shopping and out to eat then my kids should be in school.

Last edited by msRB311; 10-28-2020 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: re

Old 10-28-2020, 08:55 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'll also add that any time I've gone out to a restaurant I'm shocked by all the 85 year old people I see out to eat.
Same observation here.

My "fear" from Covid is long-term affects. My MIL is currently suffering these. She had covid back in March and to this day still has lingering breathing, cardiac and mental issues in which she is seeing multiple doctors for and in a few studies for. This is front and center in my (wife's) life every day, and it sucks seeing my MIL have to stop to catch her breath after walking 100 feet from car to front door of my house. As a result of this experience, I have a different view on the severity of Covid.

I know anecdotally, many of the 20-something who have had it recently that I indirectly know claim it was just "a few days of a bad cold and that was it", but I'd rather just avoid catching it altogether or exposing my family to it. What if those who recover develop some symptoms from it later in life? What if it knocks 10 years off your life?

So while I am out and about in the world going into work, stores, and other activities which bring me into contact with people, in generally i'm avoiding things that *I* perceive as high risk.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-28-2020 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts