Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 02:26 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
sports are a very big part of a kids life. I have a feeling this shut down with hockey will last more than 2 weeks. I also imagine that parents decided not to have their kids play this year at all and they may never play in their lives now. Or if they do they'll behind. School works the same way. Right now private school kids (and their parents) have the advantage.

I'm truly disgusted with people who think parents need to just suck it up right no. We've been sucking it up for 7 months, every day. It's easy for childless people or people with grown kids to cast judgement on parents who are trying to work and make sure their kids learn...every day.
Every kid? Yeah I did a tad but to be frank it wouldn't have really changed much of my life without it. You can do other things recreational without sports. I grew up with a guy that was huge into BMX and I went fishing a fair amount of the time and I rode my bike everywhere. Not everyone can afford all sports. To be honest I'm all for promoting phys ed and maybe requiring higher ed to mandate it but that's just in the form of a gym.

Sucking it up? There was the summer. There has never been a time in human history when you had more resources today. Coursera, Edx, Wikipedia, Project Gutenberg, dirt cheap communications around the world etc. While I would not suggest that you know as much as a teacher does I'm sorry but the idea that all learning must only be performed in a classroom just doesn't work.

I wouldn't say private school kids have an advantage because frankly they don't have standards. Blind faith in anything does not help. Between public, private, religious, charter and vocational I think that all students should be able to be reached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 02:35 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Well I know people my age today whose parents did not encourage sports so they didn't play them and were kind of angry about it. My husband got a full ride to college based on sports so yeah if that was in the cards for my kids I'm all for it.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Every kid? Yeah I did a tad but to be frank it wouldn't have really changed much of my life without it. You can do other things recreational without sports. I grew up with a guy that was huge into BMX and I went fishing a fair amount of the time and I rode my bike everywhere. Not everyone can afford all sports. To be honest I'm all for promoting phys ed and maybe requiring higher ed to mandate it but that's just in the form of a gym.

Sucking it up? There was the summer. There has never been a time in human history when you had more resources today. Coursera, Edx, Wikipedia, Project Gutenberg, dirt cheap communications around the world etc. While I would not suggest that you know as much as a teacher does I'm sorry but the idea that all learning must only be performed in a classroom just doesn't work.

I wouldn't say private school kids have an advantage because frankly they don't have standards. Blind faith in anything does not help. Between public, private, religious, charter and vocational I think that all students should be able to be reached.

I'm not sure what EdX, coursera and wikipedia and all that have to do with my 4 and 6 year old lol. I tried to have my son take the edX sharks and dinosaurs course when he was 4 but it was a but advanced and didn't quite hold his attention.

I'm thankful for zoom that's for sure.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:49 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
I've been coaching little league since June or July (it's all a blur), so there are some sports still happening. Kids interacting with kids is important from a mental health standpoint, whether it's in the classroom, on a diamond, or in a rink.

But from an educational standpoint, in-class education is essential, and while private schools are powering through this, this is a charred ring on the education of public school kids.

Old 10-28-2020, 02:50 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
msRB311, is your husband doing his part?

Old 10-28-2020, 02:57 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
msRB311, is your husband doing his part?
yes, he actually does more homework with our son than I do. And was taking him to hockey 4+ times a week. Son was also doing flag football but that's over now as well.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:57 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Well I know people my age today whose parents did not encourage sports so they didn't play them and were kind of angry about it.

Sorry, ^^^ that is just weird to me.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:26 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post

The paranoid fear of their kids getting hurt I suppose. That and if you lived in certain iffy neighborhoods, the fear of getting hurt while coming home late.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:32 PM

Default re

Quote:
I'm not sure why it seems weird to feel bitter that your parents didn't provide you with the opportunity to play sports. I dated a guy who felt this way about his parents. He was an only child, parents divorced and didnt really seem that interested in him. He played no sports until he went to college and played rugby. He went on to be a Navy SEAL so clearly he had the athletic ability. He jsut felt like perhaps his life would have been different if he played sports at a younger age because he felt he would have excelled, went to a different college etc.

I played many sports as a kid. I didn't really excel at any of them, but i was given the opportunity at least.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:39 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Well I know people my age today whose parents did not encourage sports so they didn't play them and were kind of angry about it.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The paranoid fear of their kids getting hurt I suppose. That and if you lived in certain iffy neighborhoods, the fear of getting hurt while coming home late.
I understand that part. What I find weird is people being angry because their parents didn't promote sports. Those people should have developed alternate interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts