Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 06:00 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
that is why i get my news from alternative media. all the major networks are owned by few companies. I can watch agenda news and not be affected. in fact i probably have watched more cnn then fox .
“Alternate media” is biased too. Every media source is. There isn’t and never has been any such thing as “unbiased media.” There is always an agenda, regardless of the source. Humans are biased and as long as there’s a human element to news distribution, it will be influenced by bias. Writing off major networks in favor of “alternate media” is not critical thinking, it’s confirmation bias. Critical thinking is being able to identify the bias, understand the agenda, and still pull the pertinent information you need to form an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 06:03 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I think there's going to be a back and forth on the dates at this point. Massachusetts the governor is saying May 5th it what island are looking at loosening on the 9th and Connecticut it's a few weeks after that. Schools are still closed and it's going to be a little bit hard to make an argument for some of the larger institutions to be opened if schools are still closed. Maybe this might mean you go to a cafe with four or five people listen to music rather than a stadium with hundreds if not thousands or tens of thousands people. Just because some bars and restaurants might open that does not mean the crowds that were around there to support them are still going to be there. If academia and schools aren't open we're not going to see those same numbers.

Take a look at this one though.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/04/...lift-suddenly/

I'd say construction really does have to start up again. If we're looking to build any form of housing or any significant remodel of a conventional business or retrofitting for any commercial entity that needs to accommodate for covid is going to have to have Construction.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:09 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
“Alternate media” is biased too. Every media source is. There isn’t and never has been any such thing as “unbiased media.” There is always an agenda, regardless of the source. Humans are biased and as long as there’s a human element to news distribution, it will be influenced by bias. Writing off major networks in favor of “alternate media” is not critical thinking, it’s confirmation bias. Critical thinking is being able to identify the bias, understand the agenda, and still pull the pertinent information you need to form an option.

yes I know to some extent all media is biased but i am better then most at not being affected by the bias .

Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
yes I know to some extent all media is biased but i am better then most at not being affected by the bias .

This pegged my irony meter.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
With schools and daycares closed parents are kind of screwed if things do open up on May 5th. More people will have to go back to work but what will they do with their kids?

I got an email that my kids canoe will probably be closed in July. They sent out a survey asking for thoughts on a virtual program. Right I really want to pay $700 a week to sit in the house with the kids and do online work with them that I’m paying to someone else so they don’t lose money. Makes sense. This has gotten crazy.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:44 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This pegged my irony meter.
One time a cult tried to get me to join but it did not work. I am ultra stubborn and generally hate humans. where most are susceptible to get involved in the cult i had no interest. I took a test on the likely hood of joining a cult when I was a lot younger and I did better then everyone else. They say everyone to some degree is able to be brainwashed.

I will tell you those doctors might not have high credentials but they are right that if everyone wears masks and gloves all the time peoples immune systems will weaken. I would not want people to totally disregard those doctors advice they still are doctors.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:14 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
The fact that we are not hearing numerous news stories of hundreds of thousands of people with long term complications is evidence that they are not common. In this high profile situation, absence of evidence is evidence of absence. You are essentially claiming there are hundreds of thousands of people with long term health conditions and this is not being reported by the media, that is an extraordinary claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, provide it if you have it.

I don't understand your other question/point about the virus hasn't been around long enough. It isn't like there is any reason to believe that those that have recovered from the virus will spontaneously develop a new heart or lung condition 3 months post recovery.
This is a bizarre statement...because it's been reported widely that the virus leaves lesions on the lungs that are slow to heal (even in younger healthy patients). How can you claim no long term damage, when it's so early?

Old 04-28-2020, 07:49 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
One time a cult tried to get me to join but it did not work.
It's too early for this. I'm going back to sleep.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:56 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
With schools and daycares closed parents are kind of screwed if things do open up on May 5th. More people will have to go back to work but what will they do with their kids?

I got an email that my kids canoe will probably be closed in July. They sent out a survey asking for thoughts on a virtual program. Right I really want to pay $700 a week to sit in the house with the kids and do online work with them that I’m paying to someone else so they don’t lose money. Makes sense. This has gotten crazy.
Yes, my office has talked about getting us back in the office in phases as soon as restrictions are lifted, but the majority of us are parents, so we can only come in once care has been sorted out.

My kids are in a smattering of camps this summer--I was surprised to hear that the camp they are signed up for starting 6/22 (through mid-July) is planning to "enthusiasticlly move ahead with all camp sessions..." they did go on to say that they are monitoring the situation, but are hopeful. I was expecting the communication to say that camp was delayed until July at the earliest. I am not hanging my hat on camp starting 6/22 as planned, but was encouraged that they are moving forward with all sessions given last week's news about daycares being closed until 6/29.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:10 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
This is a bizarre statement...because it's been reported widely that the virus leaves lesions on the lungs that are slow to heal (even in younger healthy patients). How can you claim no long term damage, when it's so early?

My MIL contracted the Virus on Mar 9th. 8th confirmed case in her state. Almost 2 months later she still can feel the effects in her lungs. Random isolated coughing fits, and not able to exert herself like she used to. 61 and no underling health conditions, but definitely slow to heal.

Despite the lingering effects. State called her once after discharge, and considers her “recovered”.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-28-2020 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts