Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 12:47 PM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Agreed. It isn't going anywhere. We can hope for the best, but must now proceed with a plan to live with Covid 19. I believe efforts would best be used at nursing homes and other senior facilities, primarily.
Yeah, we really can't just operate in isolation forever waiting on the hopes an dreams of a potential vaccine. We also can't just reopen everything and wish it all away. We need to adapt now, adapt again and again as the situation evolves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There is no guarantee that anyone will be immune. In my opinion, a vaccine is far more likely. So, no, there really isn't another viable option at this time.

And the only difference between now and 2 months ago is that they now have field hospitals where people can temporarily go to before they get hauled away in the refrigerated trucks.

We're just now becoming aware that some children are getting PMIS 4 to 6 weeks after they've recovered from COVID-19. There is so much unknown; we can't let everyone get this virus as we don't know enough about it. We can't count on full recoveries with adults either. And what about babies being born in the near future? We have no idea what's going to happen. COVID babies?

The reality is...the gov't can print more money and we can stay in lockdown for the time being.
You're entitled to your opinion, but it's not exactly based on science. Unless you have info we don't, there's really no real evidence that immunity won't result from recovering from a COVID-19 infection . So I'm not sure why you don't think we'll get there? We can't prove that immunity is definitely the case yet - the timeline is too short to be able to do so. However, early studies indicate that people who have recovered develop some level of immunity, and experience with other coronaviruses has made most experts pretty confident that those who have recovered won't be reinfected. The question is not so much "will they have immunity," but "how long will the antibodies/immunity last for?" There's hope that a vaccine will be available, but we're not certain and this country doesn't exactly have a plan for mass distribution once we do have one. It doesn't make sense to lock everyone up under the assumption we'll have one for all 300+ million people by fall or winter, or whenever.

And again, practically speaking, it's extremely naive to believe that Americans will comply with quarantine indefinitely. They're already getting stir crazy. Quarantine fatigue is real, and it's not going to get any better in the coming weeks/months. What people should do, and what people will do are not the same and it's important to be realistic about that when making decisions at high levels. People are not going to stay home all summer, even if you say pretty please. So the only thing that makes sense is restoring some semblance of normal life with measures in place to minimize the risk of infection.

Printing more money without increasing economic activity is a nonstarter. Google "inflation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 12:48 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
I believe I read somewhere that 64% are working from home. Add in manufacturing jobs, essential workers, etc. and it's probably 80% employed.

20% unemployed is a big deal but I don't see it as unmanageable for a year or so.
There's more to it than just the current unemployment rate though. You have to remember we are a consumer driven economy and when people aren't out there spending their money on things, it has a cascading effect. Of the small businesses that have held their breath for now, there's no way most could hold off for that long. Unemployment will be much worse than 20% if we stay in our current state for another 6 months. Anything hospitality will be devastated.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:49 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
There is no guarantee that anyone will be immune. In my opinion, a vaccine is far more likely. So, no, there really isn't another viable option at this time.

And the only difference between now and 2 months ago is that they now have field hospitals where people can temporarily go to before they get hauled away in the refrigerated trucks.

We're just now becoming aware that some children are getting PMIS 4 to 6 weeks after they've recovered from COVID-19. There is so much unknown; we can't let everyone get this virus as we don't know enough about it. We can't count on full recoveries with adults either. And what about babies being born in the near future? We have no idea what's going to happen. COVID babies?

The reality is...the gov't can print more money and we can stay in lockdown for the time being.
Redplum is spot on that we simply don't know enough about this virus yet. More and more reports are coming out about strokes, kidney damage, lung damage, heart damage, PMIS - but there are very few statistics on what percentage of survivors will have to deal with medium-or longterm issues (if you have to stay on dialysis because of covid, your lifespan is dramatically shortened!). In the meantime, many governors, including RI's, are throwing the doors wide open. Raimondo, for instance, promises to open up more and more, without allowing enough time to pass in between phases to see if there is an uptick in cases. This is very dangerous. She has emphasized that we may well end up using our field hospitals - so they full expect things to get (much) worse. MA's governor appears to be more cautious, but we'll see.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:52 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Redplum is spot on that we simply don't know enough about this virus yet. More and more reports are coming out about strokes, kidney damage, lung damage, heart damage, PMIS - but there are very few statistics on what percentage of survivors will have to deal with medium-or longterm issues (if you have to stay on dialysis because of covid, your lifespan is dramatically shortened!). In the meantime, many governors, including RI's, are throwing the doors wide open. Raimondo, for instance, promises to open up more and more, without allowing enough time to pass in between phases to see if there is an uptick in cases. This is very dangerous. She has emphasized that we may well end up using our field hospitals - so they full expect things to get (much) worse. MA's governor appears to be more cautious, but we'll see.
Yeah RI is definitely going about it too fast.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:57 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
We better hope that there is some immunity post-exposure, otherwise it does not bode well for the future success of vaccines.

Last edited by sawyer2; 05-14-2020 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-14-2020, 01:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Must be a lot of dependents and independently wealthy types here if people can seriously propose not reopening the economy. I, and thankfully most I know, have been working more than ever during this. Unfortunately, plenty (though a minority) have been sidelined. They want and need to work, even the ones with serious health conditions. With our third world joke of a health care system where we pay more for less than almost any other developed nation, the greatest threat to health is poverty and losing insurance by being out of work.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:10 PM

Wisconsin should provide some interesting data points either way

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wiscons...-strikes-down/

As of Wednesday, 10,902 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in Wisconsin. 421 people have died. 117,111 people have tested negative.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 05-14-2020, 01:12 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
We better hope that there is some immunity post-exposure, otherwise it does not bode well for the future success of vaccines.
Indeed. The immunity data I've seen so far is the only thing giving me same angst in terms of returning to "normalcy".

Studies have shown a slightly flawed immune response and previous SARS and MERS infected have only maintained immunity for 2-3 years (versus a decade+ if given the SARS 1 vaccine).

A flawless vaccine is certainly not a guaranteed outcome.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

Studies have shown a slightly flawed immune response and previous SARS and MERS infected have only maintained immunity for 2-3 years (versus a decade+ if given the SARS 1 vaccine).

A flawless vaccine is certainly not a guaranteed outcome.
Agreed

The rhesus monkey data from a month or so ago was at least promising. I need to look if there was any follow up data about antibody titer, durability of response etc

Old 05-14-2020, 01:41 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
I have also seen a lot of the helicopter/lawnmower parents 'struggling', of which MA seems to have an abundance.

No, your young kids don't need you looking over their shoulder and checking on them every two minutes.....and your 5 year old will be fine without 'homework'. No they won't fall behind .... I'm sure they will catch-up on writing their name later. And yes, I have kids.

The same parents seem to have plenty of time to launch diatribes on social media or forums complaining about the 'struggle'.

From what I can see, the majority of us on here are on CD are certainly inconvenienced. Stuck at home which is certainly wearing thin, balancing work and home at the same time.....but income/dual income coming in and bills being paid etc etc. ...... it could be a lot worse.
"Lawnmower parents"....hmmm.....that's a new one..

I think what we're getting here ( for some) is an early look at retirement life. There are some who will take classes, travel the world, etc, but as one crosses over into their 70s/80s, for many that seems to stop. Most people will be at home, 7 days a week, and not traveling all that far.

There are those that say that many Americans have led privileged lives, that they've never really been "tested", and that the COVID crisis might reveal some things about ourselves that we've kept under wraps. Well, some of the results so far have not been flattering, and those naysayers just might be right..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts