Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 02:53 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times

Advertisements

Baker doesn't know what to do ,he looks around blinking then gets a 1000 yard stare .He makes Trump look like a genius..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 03:05 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Most people I see are wearing gloves and not replacing them with the frequency they should be. Like you did, pumping gas properly removing them and tossing them is correct. Putting them on, gassing up, contaminating the steering wheel touchscreen and shifter in the wife's car, touching everything at market basket, contaminating your front door, and finally taking them off the wrong way is scarily common. The hand sanitizer in my pocket is way more useful.

I see people wearing their masks while driving empty vehicles. Unless they are an uber driver (or unable to clean their hands for some reason) that is going overboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Some people, like me, put on a mask when I get in the car. It's got two ties and I prefer to get that done before doing errands, so then do drive alone with a mask on. When I get to my errand or takeout, I'm all set to go in and out of different places.

I agree that I see people taking gloves on and off in a way that contaminates them. I'm all for washing hands when getting home, having sanitizer in the car after being in a store or whatever like that. I am much more concerned about person-person breath and talking transmission than I am a hand that touches a canned good and then the car door then the steering wheel and then taking a glove off, correctly and incorrectly. Just my own assessment of articles and studies about viral load, means of transmission and personal risk.
Thank you, both. I've got the glove thing right then. I use hand sanitizer on the inside and outside car door handles, the steering wheel, and the shift. Like brightdoglover, I put the mask on beforehand. Could be a woman thing, lol. Having to contend with a purse, wanting to keep the hand sanitizer accessible and outside of the bottomless purse, usually wanting a kleenix or paper towel handy on the front seat, it's easier to just put the mask on and get it over with. Then I've got the mask on and ready when I reach my destination.

The latest thing I'm seeing around where I live (in CT now) is people ripping their masks off and saying masks make them claustrophobic. Or else they say it interferes with their breathing. These are the same people who wore masks until a few days ago and were fine with it. I think some medical expert has come out with some "theory" about how the masks deprive us of oxygen or make us work harder to breathe. A friend in NJ just texted me that she feels suffocated in a mask.

I was just sitting outside with a woman wearing a mask and she pulled the mask down below her nose to talk with us. Me? I was slightly annoyed, but my friend who was sitting there has many conditions like COPD. I wonder how she felt about it? (I didn't appreciate it when the mask dropper sneezed!) These are just excuses to not wear masks, which is the least they can do if they are out and interacting with other people.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:10 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
‘I was just sitting outside with a woman wearing a mask and she pulled the mask down below her nose to talk with us. Me? I was slightly annoyed, but my friend who was sitting there has many conditions like COPD. I wonder how she felt about it? (I didn't appreciate it when the mask dropper sneezed!) These are just excuses to not wear masks, which is the least they can do if they are out and interacting with other people.’

These are the types of things that will make returning to life difficult. Probably better to avoid talking to strangers when you’re out and about. People are going to be doing things like us.

Also how the heck will sit down restaurants ever be ok? You can’t sit and eat wearing a mask. So now will it be ok to be sitting in an enclosed area with bunches of others? Good by restaurants or people need to forget the mask thing when they’re in a restaurant which is against the law at the moment.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:48 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Most importantly - hospitalizations are the lowest they've been in over a month. We're down more than 1300 hospitalized people since peak and down almost 300 people in the ICU. It's clear that Boston is really coming down - MGH at peak had more than 450 covid patients, but its now down to less than 250.
The surge I think was due to the virus getting into nursing homes. Of course what ended up happening is Grandma kicked the bucket, and that's why the hospitalized numbers are going down.

I am glad that the shutdown didn't lead to complete anarchy. Maybe if they had gone full shutdown it would have.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:12 PM

I think it’s great that hospitalizations are down and hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. That still doesn’t mean this thing isn’t still capable of spreading.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:20 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

Also how the heck will sit down restaurants ever be ok? You can’t sit and eat wearing a mask. So now will it be ok to be sitting in an enclosed area with bunches of others? Good by restaurants or people need to forget the mask thing when they’re in a restaurant which is against the law at the moment.
It's time we all do some research to find out how the people in East Asia cope with wearing the masks. For certain cities like Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei, and Singapore are much denser than us. Look at the picture in this article for instance:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/07/easi...rants-lkf.html

People doff their masks when eating but at all other times, they have them on. I suppose a stay at a restaurant will be shorter than usual though.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:22 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Thank you, both. I've got the glove thing right then. I use hand sanitizer on the inside and outside car door handles, the steering wheel, and the shift. Like brightdoglover, I put the mask on beforehand. Could be a woman thing, lol. Having to contend with a purse, wanting to keep the hand sanitizer accessible and outside of the bottomless purse, usually wanting a kleenix or paper towel handy on the front seat, it's easier to just put the mask on and get it over with. Then I've got the mask on and ready when I reach my destination.

The latest thing I'm seeing around where I live (in CT now) is people ripping their masks off and saying masks make them claustrophobic. Or else they say it interferes with their breathing. These are the same people who wore masks until a few days ago and were fine with it. I think some medical expert has come out with some "theory" about how the masks deprive us of oxygen or make us work harder to breathe. A friend in NJ just texted me that she feels suffocated in a mask.

I was just sitting outside with a woman wearing a mask and she pulled the mask down below her nose to talk with us. Me? I was slightly annoyed, but my friend who was sitting there has many conditions like COPD. I wonder how she felt about it? (I didn't appreciate it when the mask dropper sneezed!) These are just excuses to not wear masks, which is the least they can do if they are out and interacting with other people.
Did you ever think that the lady who sneezed has allergies esp with pollen counts so high? Oh I know we arent suppose to have any conditions that make the person, sneeze, cough, cant breathe, etc etc. and god forbid anyone should be allergic to elastic or many disinfectants etc.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:38 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
‘I was just sitting outside with a woman wearing a mask and she pulled the mask down below her nose to talk with us. Me? I was slightly annoyed, but my friend who was sitting there has many conditions like COPD. I wonder how she felt about it? (I didn't appreciate it when the mask dropper sneezed!) These are just excuses to not wear masks, which is the least they can do if they are out and interacting with other people.’

These are the types of things that will make returning to life difficult. Probably better to avoid talking to strangers when you’re out and about. People are going to be doing things like us.

In new hampshire they are opening restuarants I think tommorrow but its outside eating only I believe. They are being cautious the same will happen here if you want to eat at a restaurant you have to eat outside for awhile.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:48 PM

Outside eating would be ok. It’s the indoor restaurants particularly in Boston with the ridiculous wait times. People won’t be able to sit in a waiting area together like they used to.

I saw a Facebook poll where people asked what people will visit first when things open. Most people said salon. But another person said she can’t wait to take her kid to 6 flags. I can’t imagine 6 flags will be open anytime soon. I was already grossed out by germs at amusement parks. I suspect many of them will go out of business now.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:23 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Outside eating would be ok. It’s the indoor restaurants particularly in Boston with the ridiculous wait times. People won’t be able to sit in a waiting area together like they used to.

I saw a Facebook poll where people asked what people will visit first when things open. Most people said salon. But another person said she can’t wait to take her kid to 6 flags. I can’t imagine 6 flags will be open anytime soon. I was already grossed out by germs at amusement parks. I suspect many of them will go out of business now.
6 flags thats funny. Ya that is not happening anytime soon. I need to do sneaker shopping and I am wondering if in New hampshire sneaker stores are open. if not I will have to order online and I would hate to order online because my shoe size will vary depending on the shoe and brand. I did find one video of a shoe store open in a certain area of New Hampshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts