Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2021, 10:02 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Effective tomorrow - 'an individual who is accompanying a person age 75 or older to get the vaccine may schedule their own appointment to be vaccinated on the same day.'

https://www.mass.gov/news/baker-poli...w-appointments
Time to visit the senior center and make some friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 10:05 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Time to visit the senior center and make some friends.
I got a chuckle out of this. Alas, my parent and in-laws are out of state, if only one of them was with me, I'd be in business.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:34 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
Thats nice that more people can get the vaccination. Still slow, but - we are getting there.

Old 02-10-2021, 10:39 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/02...massachusetts/

Old 02-10-2021, 01:17 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
https://www.thedailybeast.com/biden-...l-thanksgiving
So Thanksgiving to mid December? maybe they aren't reopening schools in the fall.

"Top members of President Joe Biden’s COVID response team are warning internally that the U.S. may not reach herd immunity until Thanksgiving or even the start of winter—months later than originally calculated—according to two senior administration officials.

In an interview with CBS News this week, Biden hinted at some of these concerns, saying it would be “very difficult” to reach herd immunity—a population-wide resistance to the virus—“much before the end of the summer” with the current daily rate of approximately 1.3 million vaccine doses. Other top officials working on the federal government’s COVID-19 response say the are uneasy about vaccine supply long term and the impact on herd immunity, and have begun to explore ways to expand U.S. manufacturing capacity, potentially through new partnerships with outside pharmaceutical firms."

Old 02-10-2021, 01:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
We don't even know yet if the vaccines prevent asymptomatic transmission. We're flying blind. The best data collection is in Israel. Half the country has now had two vaccinations. They should have a pretty good sense for whether herd immunity is even possible in another 3 or 4 months assuming they vaccinate the Palestinians, too.

Old 02-10-2021, 01:45 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We don't even know yet if the vaccines prevent asymptomatic transmission. We're flying blind. The best data collection is in Israel. Half the country has now had two vaccinations. They should have a pretty good sense for whether herd immunity is even possible in another 3 or 4 months assuming they vaccinate the Palestinians, too.
Theoretically herd immunity is possible even if it had "zero" effectiveness against asymptomatic transmission. Of course that is dependent on many factors, and likely a much higher vaccination rate than the 70% best case scenario they are now suggesting.

Old 02-10-2021, 02:06 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Theoretically herd immunity is possible even if it had "zero" effectiveness against asymptomatic transmission. Of course that is dependent on many factors, and likely a much higher vaccination rate than the 70% best case scenario they are now suggesting.

I guess I wasn't clear. Nobody knows after you're vaccinated the incidence of getting infected. The only thing that was logged in the trials was whether people show symptoms or not. Until you have a big pool of vaccinated people getting tested frequently, we won't know. In the United States, the best shot at that is international border crossings. Once we get enough people vaccinated, infected people who were vaccinated will start turning up at their test coming back into the United States. Right now, all we know is the mRNA vaccines are pretty good at stopping people from having symptoms. We have no good data about whether they're actually getting infected or not.

This, of course, is why they're still telling vaccinated people to wear masks. We know that they don't show symptoms but we don't know if they're infected, asymptomatic, and transmitting the virus.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:10 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My 75 year old diabetic neighbor across the lane was hauled off in an ambulance this weekend. Her husband tested positive. He was treated for lung cancer recently. My town is a Sturgis-like 50+ per 100,000. With no genetic testing, we have no idea if we’re about to explode with more transmissible B.1.1.7. Those people should have been vaccinated weeks ago but Massachusetts public health totally failed them.
This is so sad. I am so afraid that I am going to be the loser who gets covid a week before I am finally scheduled to get a vaccine (whenever that will be). I am being very careful, but with the more contagious variants out there, who knows what we're in for?

Old 02-10-2021, 03:29 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
This is so sad. I am so afraid that I am going to be the loser who gets covid a week before I am finally scheduled to get a vaccine (whenever that will be). I am being very careful, but with the more contagious variants out there, who knows what we're in for?
This is my nightmare scenario also. Partly because I'm a firm "Phase 3", unless I hang out near a senior community trying to strike a quid pro quo with a horny widow before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts