Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 02:21 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

^I'm sure many people on this site have had coronavirus, despite their best social distancing efforts. It's just so mild, many people in the younger age brackets dont even notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 02:22 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yeah, we lead the world by far in gun ownership per capita, but have conniptions over a 6-week closure of gun shops. This is why the rest of the world shakes their head when they look at us.
Golfers cried so much the courses in Mass had to open early w/ foursomes.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:26 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The numbers are incredibly obvious- people over 80 at high risk, people over 70 also should be careful. Pay nursing home employees for lots of Overtime, maybe even to live on the premises. I'm sure others can come up with better solution, I'm just spitballing. However, one thing I know is that taking a family of 4, laying off the parents, and forcing kids to stay home is not helpful.

U.S. military bans anyone hospitalized for COVID-19 from enlisting

At least 85 kids across U.S. have developed rare, mysterious COVID-19-linked illness

Old 05-08-2020, 02:44 PM

"No deaths have been reported in the U.S.; however, a 14-year-old boy in the U.K. died. His and other such cases in Europe are detailed in a report published in The Lancet.

Still, COVID-19 complications, which include the possibly-linked new syndrome, are rare in children.

"We want to reassure parents this appears to be uncommon. While Kawasaki disease can damage the heart or blood vessels, the heart problems usually go away in five or six weeks, and most children fully recover," Dr. Jane Newburger, director of the Kawasaki Program at Boston Children's Hospital, wrote in a news release on behalf of the American Heart Association."

An important passage, no?

Meanwhile, sorry, I havent been following mass so specifically, but here in Ohio (from what I': https://www.cleveland.com/coronaviru...have-died.html

Edit: just adding the Mass info, looks very similar: https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...ovid-19-deaths

^ Hard to not see what's going on the graphics in this article.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-08-2020 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 03:55 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
The odds are bleak for older folks according to that article.

1 out of 4 chance of death over 80

1 out of 20 chance in your 60s.

Meanwhile 1 out of 5000 for someone in their 30s.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The odds are bleak for older folks according to that article.

1 out of 4 chance of death over 80

1 out of 20 chance in your 60s.

Meanwhile 1 out of 5000 for someone in their 30s.
Keep in mind the number of cases documented are likely dwarfed by the number of actual cases that people simply didn't notice, or just stayed home for a week during. The true fatality rates are much, much lower than 1/4 or 1/20. Though I agree that the elderly, especially with other chronic conditions, should take precautions, as should their caregivers.

Still not sure how this justifies shutting down the world though, this is my larger point.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind the number of cases documented are likely dwarfed by the number of actual cases that people simply didn't notice, or just stayed home for a week during. The true fatality rates are much, much lower than 1/4 or 1/20. Though I agree that the elderly, especially with other chronic conditions, should take precautions, as should their caregivers.

One also needs to keep in mind that many people (who were never tested) died at home, and those deaths are not counted*.

* At one point, NY added approximately 3700 deaths to their total to take this into account but other states have not.

Old 05-08-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
One also needs to keep in mind that many people (who were never tested) died at home, and those deaths are not counted*.

* At one point, NY added approximately 3700 deaths to their total to take this into account but other states have not.
But how many do we really think there are of these? They don't do autopsies on you if you die at home? What was the criteria used for this estimate? Why the loose criteria for assumed Covid diagnoses without a positive test?

I think just the ability to have a reasonable back and fourth is in itself enough "soft" evidence that this is far from a black and white situation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-hospitalized

Old 05-08-2020, 07:29 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
^I'm sure many people on this site have had coronavirus, despite their best social distancing efforts. It's just so mild, many people in the younger age brackets dont even notice.
Yeah. I haven't had any symptoms but I would say 50-50 I would test positive for antibodies.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
But how many do we really think there are of these? They don't do autopsies on you if you die at home? What was the criteria used for this estimate? Why the loose criteria for assumed Covid diagnoses without a positive test?

I think just the ability to have a reasonable back and fourth is in itself enough "soft" evidence that this is far from a black and white situation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-hospitalized

At the time the ~3700 deaths were added, that number was more than half of the confirmed positive deaths.

I don't know the answers to your other questions...but testing kits were in short supply at the time, it was difficult to get tested, and they weren't testing dead people. From what I understand, the virus can be contracted from a dead body. People working at funeral homes are at very high risk...similar to the health care workers that do the intubations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts