Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
How many tests has Donny taken so far? At least 3?
I doubt we'll ever know. And there are enough tests to test "everyone" around him regularly. I guess they never heard of asymptomatic transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 12:15 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Have we given up making this a MA focused thread?

In local news, Cambridge is now offering testing to all residents beginning tomorrow. Residents must call in advance for an appointment. I am surprised at how many Cambridge residents I know who are racing to call for appointments for their entire families. These are people with no symptoms, no known exposure and who are staying at home. I'm not sure what the point is. In my view people who fit that profile are more likely to get exposed when going for testing than anything. If they were offering antibody testing that might be different, in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:21 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
So do I and that is why I am not part of these protests or otherwise endorsing them at this point in time. It is too early to be ending the precautions but come 2021 or beyond I will not be wearing a mask to go out in public.
If there is no vaccine and no effective treatment, you’re unlikely to get far without a mask as the next waves hit. What magic wand is going to make this go away on New Year’s Eve? The point of the mask is to chop down the transmission rate. If everyone refuses to wear masks, we cripple the country as we see-saw between wave-lull-wave-lull. When the hospitals start filling, there is no public health option but to pull the plug each time. ....all because it’s inconvenient for you to take rational steps to lower the transmission rate.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:23 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Saw that golf courses are open effective immediately--that should make a lot of golfers happy!
Some will be happy, others not because unlike other states, there are no carts allowed. The rule here is that it is one cart per person (unless same household) and they are disinfected after each use. Massachusetts has to make it miserable for people.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:33 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Some will be happy, others not because unlike other states, there are no carts allowed. The rule here is that it is one cart per person (unless same household) and they are disinfected after each use. Massachusetts has to make it miserable for people.
Lots of 5 and 6 hours rounds incoming....

Old 05-07-2020, 12:39 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If there is no vaccine and no effective treatment, you’re unlikely to get far without a mask as the next waves hit. What magic wand is going to make this go away on New Year’s Eve? The point of the mask is to chop down the transmission rate. If everyone refuses to wear masks, we cripple the country as we see-saw between wave-lull-wave-lull. When the hospitals start filling, there is no public health option but to pull the plug each time. ....all because it’s inconvenient for you to take rational steps to lower the transmission rate.
Well said, Geoffrey.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Yup. Happy mother's day. Guess where all the dad's are going.

I don't have an issue with golf courses opening. Having played many rounds I assure you I would spend much of my time hiking through the woods looking for my ball staying well away from anyone else on the course.
Good one!

Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
In local news, Cambridge is now offering testing to all residents beginning tomorrow. Residents must call in advance for an appointment. I am surprised at how many Cambridge residents I know who are racing to call for appointments for their entire families. These are people with no symptoms, no known exposure and who are staying at home. I'm not sure what the point is. In my view people who fit that profile are more likely to get exposed when going for testing than anything. If they were offering antibody testing that might be different, in my opinion.
Agreed, but I don't think antibody testing is less of a risk.

I don't know about in MA, but a stat came out yesterday that 20% of the total cases in RI are health care workers.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:57 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Certainly, the risk is the same. My point is that antibody testing potentially has more value for a completely asymptomatic person with no risk factors.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:13 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Lots of 5 and 6 hours rounds incoming....
So you’ve seen me play? I can break 80.... on the front 9. I get my money’s worth. LOL

I’m curious what will happen with the beaches once the April/May ice age ends. I keep getting emails from my beach saying they’ll be ready to go in a couple of weeks but they have no clue what the state and town will do. We always maintain 10’+ of separation at the beach anyways so it’s only a health risk if a lifeguard has to rescue someone. When I worked there as a kid, I saved a beach chair once. It’s not a surf beach. Everyone knows how to swim. They can shut down the rafts and the pier and keep separation.

The boat yard emailed me that the dinghy float is open but please park on the street and stay away from the employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts