Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 12:46 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
All of "this" is speculative worst case scenario. And remember where were last year? Last year at this time, we were in the midst of the Pandemic's largest surge (it didn't even peak until January). We didn't have vaccines yet and even with many major restrictions still in place, we were in the middle of what would be come the deadliest wave of cases to date. Hospitals were already at capacity in many places, the projections were much more dire, we were reverting back to many restrictions that were in place in March/April 2020, and the vaccine rollout still was on the horizon.

Today, we do have effective vaccines available for almost everyone. We've had most restrictions largely lifted since May/June, Delta emerged in July, and we still have not seen anything approaching the surge in cases and deaths we were experiencing at this point last year. The vast majority of the hospitalizations and deaths that are taking place now are among the unvaccinated. Meaning, if you're vaccinated, you're in much better shape than you were last year. Of course it's not perfect and we're not completely out of the woods, but there's no way anyone can objectively look at where we are now vs. where we were back then and not say we haven't made a ton of progress.

Nobody is denying that there has been progress, but we are dealing with a very different situation now.

You and some others seem to be:
  • seriously underestimating Delta
  • overestimating the current protection from April vaccinations
  • not understanding the hospital situation with the flu and staff shortages
Nothing I wrote was speculative. And we are not in a better position this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 02:36 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Nobody is denying that there has been progress, but we are dealing with a very different situation now.

You and some others seem to be:
  • seriously underestimating Delta
  • overestimating the current protection from April vaccinations
  • not understanding the hospital situation with the flu and staff shortages
Nothing I wrote was speculative. And we are not in a better position this year.

Who is overestimating 7 month ago jabs or Delta? The Israeli data came out in mid-July when they were getting hit by Delta. I dropped on Amazon and bought a ton of N95 masks and have been using them ever since. If you have Moderna instead of Pfizer, 6 months is less of a concern since the dosage is 3.5x higher and the efficacy at 6 months is considerably better.

In Suffolk County, 8% of ICU beds are COVID-19 cases. 1% of inpatient beds are COVID-19 cases. Looking county by county, the ICUs are pretty full but it's not with COVID-19 patients. Patients delayed their health care and are sicker than usual.

Every hospital in the country has staffing problems. Most Massachusetts hospitals at least don't have the uninsured and lousy Medicaid payment problem that is crushing rural hospitals in the red states. A whole lot of hospitals are going to go bankrupt.

Old 11-18-2021, 03:40 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Patients delayed their health care and are sicker than usual.
Which is nutty since it was only like a month or two where the hospitals were full with covid patients too.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:28 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Which is nutty since it was only like a month or two where the hospitals were full with covid patients too.

Not really so nutty. Hospitals canceled anything optional for months. My dentist pushed my normal dental hygiene visit out 6 months, for example. People with chronic health problems weren't getting treated so their condition got worse.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:32 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
"The Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported on Thursday eight additional COVID-19 deaths and 3,196 new cases."

Old 11-18-2021, 06:43 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
"The Massachusetts Department of Public Health reported on Thursday eight additional COVID-19 deaths and 3,196 new cases."
I'm going to be a heretic and say that case counts are almost irrelevant at this point. It's about preventing hospitalizations and deaths, and I expect that the employer mandate (if the OSHA rule passes muster) will go a long way towards finally getting us to herd immunity.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:37 PM

943 posts, read 410,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm going to be a heretic and say that case counts are almost irrelevant at this point. It's about preventing hospitalizations and deaths, and I expect that the employer mandate (if the OSHA rule passes muster) will go a long way towards finally getting us to herd immunity.
In RI on Nov 16 2021: 21 covid patients in ICU, 14 on a vent. 107 hospitalized
In RI on Nov 16 2020: 28 covid patients in ICU, 14 on a vent. 348 hospitalized
https://ridoh-covid-19-response-hosp...ub.arcgis.com/

Old 11-19-2021, 04:43 AM

875 posts, read 664,684 times
Anyone over the age of 18 is now eligible to get a booster six months after receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or two months since receiving a Johnson & Johnson single-dose vaccine.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massach...d-up/38289454#

Old 11-19-2021, 05:26 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
In RI on Nov 16 2021: 21 covid patients in ICU, 14 on a vent. 107 hospitalized
In RI on Nov 16 2020: 28 covid patients in ICU, 14 on a vent. 348 hospitalized
https://ridoh-covid-19-response-hosp...ub.arcgis.com/
And I know 2 acquaintances in RI, 44 and 51, both apparently healthy, who caught and tragically passed away from Covid. However--and this is my point--both were unvaxxed.

If we were to get to the 85-90% level of vaccination similar to measles, the virus and its variants would be snuffed out for practical purposes.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:39 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,783,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
If we were to get to the 85-90% level of vaccination similar to measles, the virus and its variants would be snuffed out for practical purposes.
MA is pretty much there for 12+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts