Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2022, 09:36 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
They seem to be implying that is ultimately why she took her own life. She lost her job with WGBH because of her views. Obviously there were issues at play that are hard to understand. She seemed to have it all but mental illness can take over anyone.
Right, but until factual evidence comes out as to the true reasons as to why she took her life, this is all speculation.

I'm not saying that it doesn't look like there may be some truth to it.

Either way. It's a bummer. I liked her as a TV personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 12:29 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Right, but until factual evidence comes out as to the true reasons as to why she took her life, this is all speculation.

I'm not saying that it doesn't look like there may be some truth to it.

Either way. It's a bummer. I liked her as a TV personality.
And the cause of her death has not been released nor has the name of the woman who was hit by the train.

TBS has zero integrity or standards. The headline fits their agenda, has zero evidence, and exists solely to be a clickbait site full of popups.

Old 03-18-2022, 01:21 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
And the cause of her death has not been released nor has the name of the woman who was hit by the train.

TBS has zero integrity or standards. The headline fits their agenda, has zero evidence, and exists solely to be a clickbait site full of popups.
so you think they're lying?

when someone's cause of death isn't released it's typically suicide of drugs.

Old 03-18-2022, 02:52 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
so you think they're lying?

when someone's cause of death isn't released it's typically suicide of drugs.
I doubt they're lying about her being the victim. They probably have a source that confirmed that it's suicide and she was the woman who jumped in front of the train. The "lack of integrity" comes from TBS implication that her suicide was the result of bullying due to her anti-vax views. While it's certainly not a reach to think that those things had a major impact on her mental health, it's irresponsible to publish an article with a headline tying the two together without some pretty substantial evidence to support the claim. Especially when the rest of the article is essentially just a rant on cancel culture and mainstream media. There's nothing wrong editorializing, but this isn't even a thinly veiled attempt at leveraging a tragic death to push a narrative.

The bold isn't necessarily true. Reporting agencies tend to be discreet about how they treat the documentation and release of information about any suicide or potential suicide. In a case like this where it might be an obvious suicide, it's still not "official" until an investigation is conducted. And until that investigation is complete, no authority can actually confirm it's a suicide so no information will be released. And if it's a scenario where the determination of the cause of death doesn't have a legal impact on someone/something else, it's not unusual for "suicide" to be omitted entirely. Many suicides by drugs are classified as "accidental overdoses." Suicide is obviously hard for families and can additionally complicate funeral/burial arrangements, so it's often better for everyone to omit it. But if you're talking about a patient suicide in a mental hospital, it'll be reported be as such since there are a litany of legal ramifications.

Press is an entirely different animal. Outlets often have guidelines and policies about reporting suicides. A few of the reasons they won't report them:
  • Reports on suicides have been linked to increased instances of suicide in vulnerable individuals.
  • Out of consideration to the family
  • The mention of specific cause of death (i.e. suicide) isn't central to the story
There are exceptions, obviously, where a suicide will get reported. Generally high profile cases (celebrities, young children, public/politically motivated cases, etc.) will be mentioned, and this may end up being one of those as the victim was very well known. But it's not unusual at all for it not to be all over the headlines.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:46 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Damn. That's tragic. I grew up watching her on the news giving the weather report.

But why the hell does the article need to point out her anti-vax views? Completely tasteless.
because thats why she was fired due to testifying about her concerns about these vaccines! There is no freedom in this crappy state anymore. I hope her family sues WGBH big time!

Old 03-18-2022, 03:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
because thats why she was fired due to testifying about her concerns about these vaccines! There is no freedom in this crappy state anymore. I hope her family sues WGBH big time!
So at-will employers not being free to fire someone they don't think represents their company well or even puts them in a bad light is "freedom"?

Some people really do have funny definitions for words.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:09 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So at-will employers not being free to fire someone they don't think represents their company well or even puts them in a bad light is "freedom"?

Some people really do have funny definitions for words.
oh they are free to fire in this crappy state for any reason or no reason unless you are part of a protected class. but for a media that touts themselves as educational and give give give to them cause they do such good work reporting the news, but of course only if the person toes their party line. Its why the press has disappeared in this country. And according to the Herald, it was Jim Braude that complained about her views. Typical of that leftist big mouth!

Old 03-18-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
oh they are free to fire in this crappy state for any reason or no reason unless you are part of a protected class. but for a media that touts themselves as educational and give give give to them cause they do such good work reporting the news, but of course only if the person toes their party line. Its why the press has disappeared in this country. And according to the Herald, it was Jim Braude that complained about her views. Typical of that leftist big mouth!
Press has disappeared? She is a meteorologist, she was free do her press / news job. She wasn't hired as a health reporter, for obvious reasons.

I guess the far right doesn't think free speech should have any consequences. That's doesn't surprise me.

Old 03-18-2022, 05:28 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Either way it’s sad. I can’t imagine what her family must be going through

Old 03-18-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Either way it’s sad. I can’t imagine what her family must be going through

It's horrible. The lack of quality mental health care in this country is borderline criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts