Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2022, 09:47 AM

325 posts, read 925,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You're the one who said it dude.

You gonna run from that one now?
Nope. Not running from anything
My point that liberal places are the last to let go of their dictates is a fact. I call it petty tyranny, which is a term that seems to trigger you... but whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2022, 09:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
Nope. Not running from anything
My point that liberal places are the last to let go of their dictates is a fact. I call it petty tyranny, which is a term that seems to trigger you... but whatever.
So more liberal places are more likely to err on the side of public health and safety by asking for a minor and innocuous temporary inconvenience (and its a stretch to call it an inconvenience). Got it. Sounds wise of them.

Old 03-15-2022, 09:54 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Of course there is! The word "tyranny" ruffles feathers because it's laughably stupid when applied this way. It's just plain sad that actual adults who claim to be "reasonable" can look at actual examples of tyranny (both throughout history and in current events) and claim with a straight face that having to temporarily wear a fabric mask indoors in certain locations is the same thing. The problem with your whole nonsensical claim is that one first has to agree that mask wearing is somehow oppressive, as that's the operative word in most definitions. It isn't remotely oppressive. Just like having to wear a shirt or pants in public isn't oppressive. You many not like it, but that does not equate to oppression. And if we're to apply the definition of "tyranny" as loosely as the conspiracy nuts are, then any law or regulation we don't like would classify as "tyranny." I don't like wearing a seatbelt... TYRANNY! I don't like paying taxes... TYRANNY! My mom won't let me sleep over at a friend's house on a school night... TYRANNY!
Wearing a face covering for eight hours a day does fit the definition of oppressive IMO, and I thought the pigheaded rhetorical move of equating it to wearing a shirt or pants went out of fashion several months back.

Old 03-15-2022, 10:06 AM

325 posts, read 925,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
So more liberal places are more likely to err on the side of public health and safety by asking for a minor and innocuous temporary inconvenience (and its a stretch to call it an inconvenience). Got it. Sounds wise of them.
Causing kids to have speech and social development delays is not innocuous. However, I think we agree then that a liberal mindset puts its trust in government to know what's best for you, and to use its unchecked power to impose that - and thus promote groupthink.You just think that's a good thing, methinks otherwise.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:00 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Wearing a face covering for eight hours a day does fit the definition of oppressive IMO, and I thought the pigheaded rhetorical move of equating it to wearing a shirt or pants went out of fashion several months back.
Of course it does. You believe that COVID measures are/were an internationally coordinated conspiracy to take away all of our freedoms, so this hot take isn't surprising in the least. Gotta love the tinfoil hat logic, though. Comparing wearing fabric on your face to wearing fabric literally anywhere else on your body = "pigheaded rhetoric." But calling mask wearing "oppressive" and "tyrannical" when there are inescapable examples of actual oppression and tyranny regularly flowing in from Europe (and elsewhere in the world) on a daily basis = perfectly reasonable.

Old 03-15-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Of course it does. You believe that COVID measures are/were an internationally coordinated conspiracy to take away all of our freedoms, so this hot take isn't surprising in the least. Gotta love the tinfoil hat logic, though. Comparing wearing fabric on your face to wearing fabric literally anywhere else on your body = "pigheaded rhetoric." But calling mask wearing "oppressive" and "tyrannical" when there are inescapable examples of actual oppression and tyranny regularly flowing in from Europe (and elsewhere in the world) on a daily basis = perfectly reasonable.
I call it oppressive and tyrannical because I believe it fits the definitions of those words. No amount of whataboutism you bring into the discussion changes that.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 03-15-2022 at 03:26 PM..

Old 03-15-2022, 03:58 PM

943 posts, read 410,552 times
The White House is warning it won't have funding for vaccines, treatments and testing and we won't be prepared for surges. May no longer have monoclonal antibody supplies to be sent to states as early as late May (will reduce their shipments by next week). There won't be enough money to make a 4th shot free and accessible to all Americans (several European countries are already starting this for the elderly). They are now also warning of a possible imminent increase in cases in light of Europe's surges. And what a joke the administration's covid messaging is. All this just a couple of weeks after changing their masking guidance and promising free paxlovid at pharmacies for all positive patients (which of course won't be coming, either).
https://twitter.com/Laurie_Garrett/s...863489/photo/1 and https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/15/polit...ing/index.html

I guess lockdowns and masking will be the only way to address future surges without treatments and vaccines. Congratulations!

Old 03-15-2022, 04:43 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I call it oppressive and tyrannical because I believe it fits the definitions of those words. No amount of whataboutism you bring into the discussion changes that.
Oh I know that’s what you believe and I’m not even a little surprised. But thankfully, you’ve been waving the conspiracy flag for some time now, and it’s abundantly clear for anyone browsing these threads how far down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole you are. Especially with this latest insanity about face masks being tyrannical and oppressive. Sometimes the jokes write themselves…

Old 03-15-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Oh I know that’s what you believe and I’m not even a little surprised. But thankfully, you’ve been waving the conspiracy flag for some time now, and it’s abundantly clear for anyone browsing these threads how far down the tinfoil hat rabbit hole you are. Especially with this latest insanity about face masks being tyrannical and oppressive. Sometimes the jokes write themselves…
It's really odd to say I'm down a "tinfoil rabbit hole" (the fact that you can't go a sentence or two without using insulting language and/or questioning my intellectual hygiene is noted) when I've correctly predicted, for example, that Boston would remove their vaccine mandate around the same time as Biden's State of the Union address. Despite not following Boston's "Covid numbers," and despite not living there.

Again, if it's so easy to argue that keeping these stupid mask mandates going isn't oppressive or isn't tyranny, then f***ing do it, instead of obsessing so much over me and what my guiding principles might or might not be. The other poster didn't do it, and neither have you, so far.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:23 PM

943 posts, read 410,552 times
And statnews makes the good point "Senior administration officials said the White House is eventually hoping to transition purchasing for some countermeasures to a more traditional model where providers and pharmacies purchase items and insurance pays, but the market dynamic for many items right now means providers in the U.S. would be competing with the governments of other countries"
"https://www.statnews.com/2022/03/15/white-house-begs-covid-funds-omicron-sister/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts