Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

From the New York Times yesterday:
Quote:
Indeed, children younger than age 5 may host up to 100 times as much of the virus in the upper respiratory tract as adults, the authors found.

That measurement does not necessarily prove children are passing the virus to others. Still, the findings should influence the debate over reopening schools, several experts said.

“The school situation is so complicated — there are many nuances beyond just the scientific one,” said Dr. Taylor Heald-Sargent, a pediatric infectious diseases expert at the Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, who led the study, published in JAMA Pediatrics.
It’s really incomplete data but if I were an elementary school teacher, I wouldn’t be happy reading it. It certainly explains the big poor urban multigenerational household mortality rate assuming viral load is correlated with mortality rate. Grandchildren shedding huge viral load infecting the grandparents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 10:12 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Work from home article:

https://www.boston.com/news/business...low%3Afacebook

Old 07-31-2020, 10:34 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Fauci wants people to wear goggles.
This does sound crazy but the man does have some truth to his reasoning. Years ago, both my middle school earth science and freshmen year biology teachers warned us that dirty things can easily get into your eyes as well as your nose which is why the school required goggles in labs at all times (not every school had this rule back then). Goggles to have their benefits. No I don't see people wearing goggles or other lab equipment out on the street any time in the future including myself. I think most people are willing to take the risk for the sake of convenience but you can't say that Fauci is a fool for suggesting it.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:45 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This does sound crazy but the man does have some truth to his reasoning. Years ago, both my middle school earth science and freshmen year biology teachers warned us that dirty things can easily get into your eyes as well as your nose which is why the school required goggles in labs at all times (not every school had this rule back then). Goggles to have their benefits. No I don't see people wearing goggles or other lab equipment out on the street any time in the future including myself. I think most people are willing to take the risk for the sake of convenience but you can't say that Fauci is a fool for suggesting it.
I.e., the eyes are highly exposed orifices which, if exposed, offer a direct path to infection.

The input is rational, particularly if one falls into a high risk category.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:45 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I assumed it was her parents' summer house and they weren't there. And I also assumed isolating based on her reaction when some lady wanted her to open a juice bottle.

More details needed, Bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I think that's based on the lack of mask/social distancing compliance? Where that's not happening, goggles definitely make sense as far as protecting oneself (similar concept as face shields). Something I would be eager to do? Definitely not.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:46 AM

Ok goggles seems a bit nuts. Good luck getting people to comply there.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Ok goggles seems a bit nuts. Good luck getting people to comply there.
Goggles is to protect yourself, not others the way masks work. “Compliance” doesn’t matter. It’s a way to reduce your risk.

I bought some 3M reader safety glasses in March in case I needed to be on an airplane. I’ve never used them because I haven’t been in that kind of enclosed space for more than brief shopping excursions. On an airplane, my view is that the mask and glasses keep my from touching my face.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:11 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
It makes sense.

Back in Feb/Mar when I had no idea what would happen when this virus first started to hit the US, I did envision masks and eye protection. I think I even stuck some safety glasses in my car. So I understand the reasoning.

Do I wear them? No. But I also stay pretty far back from people these days. I wear safety glasses all day at work so I am comfortable with them on, and even forget there are there sometimes. I likely won't wear them, but I have seen people wearing face shields in public

Old 07-31-2020, 11:39 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I have worn heavy glasses since first grade. Never forget them because I can't walk across the room without them.

My friend who works in a COVID unit wears the full hazmat suit with goggles and all.

Old 07-31-2020, 12:56 PM

And no going to the cape which is 40 min from my house to hang out with my parents and kids for a night/day ain’t no vacation. Nice try though. I’m just annoyed that everyone else’s destination seems to be the cape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts