Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2022, 07:51 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times

Advertisements

With Omicron, I'm pretty much convinced that we're all going to get it at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 08:25 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Happy New Year all.

Been off this site since the 24th and wow has Covid really exploded around here. I know so many folks who have it right now. Fortunately, for those that I know personally, it's been relatively mild or symptom-free.

At this point, i think it's just a matter of time before everyone gets it. Hopefully this is the last hurrah for Covid and we're done.

Schools are a ****show right now with the number of teachers absent.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:30 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Happy New Year all.

Been off this site since the 24th and wow has Covid really exploded around here. I know so many folks who have it right now. Fortunately, for those that I know personally, it's been relatively mild or symptom-free.

At this point, i think it's just a matter of time before everyone gets it. Hopefully this is the last hurrah for Covid and we're done.

Schools are a ****show right now with the number of teachers absent.
You really think so? Why? I've switched to N95 masks outside the home, and refuse to be unmasked in any indoor space where I don't know the vax status of others.

I do agree with the hope that this is the last "hurrah"...although somehow I doubt it. The next variant is already brewing somewhere.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:48 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You really think so? Why? I've switched to N95 masks outside the home, and refuse to be unmasked in any indoor space where I don't know the vax status of others.
Maybe I incorrectly projected my personal situation onto everyone else, but in terms of my exposure, there's not much I can do about it. I've got three kids in three different schools. Every day is a flurry of emails of close contacts and needing to quarantine one kid, or get another tested. So many close calls so far that I don't think it's sustainable for us to continue our good track record. Vast majority of folks i know getting it now are in the school systems, or getting it by way of children who have it.

If you don't have kids you're likely in much better shape in terms of minimizing exposure.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 01-04-2022 at 08:57 AM..

Old 01-04-2022, 08:57 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Maybe I projected my personal situation onto everyone else, but in terms of my exposure, there's not much I can do about it. I've got three kids in three different schools. Every day is a flurry of emails of close contacts and needing to quarantine one kid, or get another tested. So many close calls so far that I don't think it's sustainable for us to continue our good track record. Vast majority of folks i know getting it now are in the school systems, or getting it by way of children who have it.

If you don't have kids you're likely in much better shape in terms of minimizing exposure.
I agree. Not only are the kids in school, but each kid does at least 3 activities, some of those activities include practices/meets three or four times per week. Unless we pull the kids out of school and activities and isolate at home until omicron passes, it feels like it's just a matter of time. I hope once we are on the other side of omicron we'll be in the best possible situation and then fingers crossed any future variant is just as mild or even more mild.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:27 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Maybe I incorrectly projected my personal situation onto everyone else, but in terms of my exposure, there's not much I can do about it. I've got three kids in three different schools. Every day is a flurry of emails of close contacts and needing to quarantine one kid, or get another tested. So many close calls so far that I don't think it's sustainable for us to continue our good track record. Vast majority of folks i know getting it now are in the school systems, or getting it by way of children who have it.

OK...no kids in school systems, which hopefully helps. Otherwise, I see where you're coming from.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:02 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Personally as a country from what I'm reading is that if you are boosted or vaxxed that omnicron isn't that big of a deal. Again it's the unvaxxed taking this on the chin. If we're all vaxed and omnicron is just a mild sore throut what's the issue? If the mutations keep getting weaker I think we'll be done (domestically) by June. At this point it really has to shift to overseas if we want to really get the economy going again.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...-says/3476817/

"Every patient I’ve seen with Covid that’s had a 3rd ‘booster’ dose has had mild symptoms. By mild I mean mostly sore throat. Lots of sore throat. Also some fatigue, maybe some muscle pain. No difficulty breathing. No shortness of breath. All a little uncomfortable, but fine," Spencer wrote.

From there, it goes downhill - slowly, though.

"Most patients I’ve seen that had 2 doses of Pfizer/Moderna still had ‘mild’ symptoms, but more than those who had received a third dose. More fatigued. More fever. More coughing. A little more miserable overall. But no shortness of breath. No difficulty breathing. Mostly fine," he said.

For those who just had the one shot of the J&J vaccine and never took a booster, the situation isn't as good.

"Most patients I’ve seen that had one dose of J&J and had Covid were worse overall. Felt horrible. Fever for a few days (or more). Weak, tired. Some shortness of breath and cough. But not one needing hospitalization. Not one needing oxygen. Not great. But not life-threatening," he tweeted.

And then there are the unvaccinated, who by all data are being hospitalized at a rate 15x or more the vaccinated."

"And almost every single patient that I’ve taken care of that needed to be admitted for Covid has been unvaccinated. Every one with profound shortness of breath. Every one whose oxygen dropped when they walked. Every one needing oxygen to breath regularly," he said.

Spencer's recommendations were straightforward -- get vaccinated if you haven't, get a second dose of something else if you've had one J&J shot, and if you're eligible, get a booster.

"So no matter your political affiliation, or thoughts on masks, or where you live in this country, as an ER doctor you’d trust with your life if you rolled into my emergency room at 3am, I promise you that you’d rather face the oncoming Omicron wave vaccinated," Spencer concluded."

At this point I'm vaxxed boosted and have masks. I'm not really worried.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:21 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I met up with a friend today who had covid last fall. She said she had a fever of 102 for about 5 days...hers is the worst case I personally know of. She said it was a bad few days but has completely recovered. Her husband had it also had a fever...her two kids had it with just runny noses.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:40 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
I wonder if any vaxxed & boostered people who catch Omicron are experiencing (or will experience) any of the long haulers' problems. It's probably too soon to tell.

Old 01-04-2022, 10:45 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
I had it a few weeks ago and I'm not having any issues. I dont know anyone else who is either. Seems to be a lot of media sensation over this 'long haul' issue. Sorry to anyone experiencing it - I'm sure there are people on here who will blast me saying they have it or their uncle does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts