Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2020, 06:43 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

"More colleges are sending students home after coronavirus outbreaks on campus."

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status...55322831826944
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 07:18 PM

A little off topic. A guy is walking around NYC (West Village) and filming live. Interesting to see how many people are out. Wearing and not wearing masks. There were tons of people in Washington Square Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB8SJ_glkf4

Old 09-04-2020, 08:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Not sure why the parents would be angry with Northeastern.
I suppose it’s hard to be objective from up in the ivory tower. Classes have not even begun for Northeastern. Sure, kick the kids out for the semester to make an example out of them, however you can’t reasonably bar them participating in remote classes to earn credits while pocketing $36,500 per student. Law suits incoming.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:45 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger, wolfgang.
I've seen the model, which is a complete joke. So we will have more deaths in the next 4 months then the previous 8 months, ok, sure. I would like to actually see what this model is basing anything on, cause it is widely inaccurate. Numbers in the vast majority areas after a peak decline substantially, regardless of masks and lockdowns. It peaks for about 4 to 8 weeks and then some sort of herd immunity is developed.

Let us see what else is inaccurate, the tests, the modeling, the virus, the lockdowns, etc. They have been wrong at every turn, but yet they continue to scare people. They are already scaring colleges when many are testing positive but not contagious or even sick at all.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:52 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I suppose it’s hard to be objective from up in the ivory tower. Classes have not even begun for Northeastern. Sure, kick the kids out for the semester to make an example out of them, however you can’t reasonably bar them participating in remote classes to earn credits while pocketing $36,500 per student. Law suits incoming.
The students were part of the small (under 200 students) NUin Program which normally goes abroad their first semester. NU set up a program in Boston this year. Students take their classes in a small cohort with some at other institutions and limited online opportunities. Technically, it's not part of the normal NU program and the credits are treated as transfer credits.

Just as it is thousands of colleges, refunds are not given when a student is dismissed due to an infraction.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I've seen the model, which is a complete joke. So we will have more deaths in the next 4 months then the previous 8 months, ok, sure.
I wouldn't be surprised. Schools being open, flu season, decline in mask wearing, the need to be indoors...

Old 09-05-2020, 11:27 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
I've seen the model, which is a complete joke. So we will have more deaths in the next 4 months then the previous 8 months, ok, sure. I would like to actually see what this model is basing anything on, cause it is widely inaccurate. Numbers in the vast majority areas after a peak decline substantially, regardless of masks and lockdowns. It peaks for about 4 to 8 weeks and then some sort of herd immunity is developed.

Let us see what else is inaccurate, the tests, the modeling, the virus, the lockdowns, etc. They have been wrong at every turn, but yet they continue to scare people. They are already scaring colleges when many are testing positive but not contagious or even sick at all.
That's not true. Texas and Florida, for example, appear to have peaked, but it's not due to "herd immunity", it's due to them changing from ignoring the virus to them doing something about it. The TX governor ordered bars to close and restaurants to cut capacity by 50% on June 26th, and instituted a mask order on July 2nd, and within 3 weeks the cases had leveled off. They're now declining.

Old 09-05-2020, 02:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Just as it is thousands of colleges, refunds are not given when a student is dismissed due to an infraction.
NU was upfront about saying the students would be welcomed back next semester. Again, this was not a mid semester in fraction. Classes have not even started yet.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:12 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
NU was upfront about saying the students would be welcomed back next semester. Again, this was not a mid semester in fraction. Classes have not even started yet.
As I noted, the program is technically not part of the normal NU program. They were dismissed from that program, not NU.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:53 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:

How can you say this? The IHME model has been consistently predicting lower than the actuals so far (e.g. in June they said 180,000 deaths by Oct 1; we've surpassed that already). So the latest projection should be alarming.

You must not understand the concepts of exponential growth and the equations upon which the epidemiological models are based. There are "adjustable" parameters based on how mobile people are, how many people on average they come in contact with, % wearing masks consistently, etc. So they always predict a range. The 410,000 number was the most likely in the range...the low end was 288,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts