Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2020, 12:31 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

They developed a condition caused Transverse Myelitis. Unclear if it is related to the vaccine, or a coincidence.

Quote:
A participant enrolled in a Phase 2/3 trial in the UK was diagnosed with transverse myelitis, an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord that can appear after viral infections. It’s unclear at this time whether the vaccine caused the adverse effect or whether it was something else that triggered it. The condition is treatable with steroids, which also happen to be useful against COVID-19.
https://bgr.com/2020/09/09/coronavir...erse-myelitis/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_myelitis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 02:18 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The reaction must have been quite serious as it was in a single patient.
Required hospitalization (neurological issue) and therefore categorized as a serious adverse event necessitating a pause.

Transverse myelitis is rare but not an unheard of autoimmune response to some vaccines.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:07 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
They developed a condition caused Transverse Myelitis. Unclear if it is related to the vaccine, or a coincidence.

https://bgr.com/2020/09/09/coronavir...erse-myelitis/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_myelitis
Yes, they had 30,000 people that were scheduled to be enrolled in the trial, so it could simply be a coincidence, unrelated to the vaccine, or it could be due to the vaccine but quite rare - even rarer than 1-in-30,000 on average.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-09-2020 at 03:17 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 03:26 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Governor touting the low positive rate, and sticking to his guns on bars & nightclubs

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/09/...ts-violations/

Old 09-09-2020, 03:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
It is getting kind of ridiculous. Seems like there’s lots of press about low numbers yet life has barely returned to normal. I think people just need to accept that life won’t be able to return to normal if we want to keep numbers low. I guess that’s what frustrates me is that people keep talking about returning to normal. People do still have choices in all this. You can go out to eat, the beach, the mall an amusement park, tj max, etc. you have to wear a mask while doing it but I can’t say I feel like any freedom has been taken away from me. I can’t go to my office which I’m happy about, school looks a bit different for my kids, we might not have halloween or the holidays. I can handle that.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It is getting kind of ridiculous. Seems like there’s lots of press about low numbers yet life has barely returned to normal. I think people just need to accept that life won’t be able to return to normal if we want to keep numbers low. I guess that’s what frustrates me is that people keep talking about returning to normal. People do still have choices in all this. You can go out to eat, the beach, the mall an amusement park, tj max, etc. you have to wear a mask while doing it but I can’t say I feel like any freedom has been taken away from me. I can’t go to my office which I’m happy about, school looks a bit different for my kids, we might not have halloween or the holidays. I can handle that.
Totally agree with this bold statement. Until we have a safe, effective vaccine that's been widely administered, we can only make a choice between accepting the costs of mitigation to the economy, or accepting the costs of indifference to mortality and morbidity. I am optimistic though, that by next summer, we will have had a safe, effective vaccine that's been widely administered and continues to be administered.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:04 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
We’ll see. I’m hopeful but vaccines are tricky. More certain is that several treatments which make this more controllable will be coming into use by the end of the year. There are also anti virals (think tamiful) in development that could be available in early 2021.

Last edited by porterhouse; 09-09-2020 at 04:45 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 04:12 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Required hospitalization (neurological issue) and therefore categorized as a serious adverse event necessitating a pause.

Transverse myelitis is rare but not an unheard of autoimmune response to some vaccines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, they had 30,000 people that were scheduled to be enrolled in the trial, so it could simply be a coincidence, unrelated to the vaccine, or it could be due to the vaccine but quite rare - even rarer than 1-in-30,000 on average.
...and this is why trials are not rushed.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I also see a lot of people who think the election is going to influence anything we’re doing. I’m not sure why people think this. Trump or Biden is not going to have any influence over my day to day life. They aren’t going to make the virus disappear.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and this is why trials are not rushed.
Yep. Overall I am a vaccine advocate, but 2/3 of vaccines fail in clinical trials on average, so trials cannot be rushed and they cannot be a rubber stamp - it's not a pro-forma exercise. You've got to be rigorous. Moreover, in this case, there are several new vaccine technologies that have been researched for years but have never been widely tested and have never won approval in a clinical trial before - RNA vaccines, DNA vaccines, adenovirus vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts