Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2020, 06:07 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I have a few friends who work in administrative roles at mass general and they were told they won’t be back to the office until at least the summer of 2021.
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
That’s weird, my sister runs a pretty large department at Mass General and has been working at the hospital non stop since this began. And she still complains about the endless daily meetings they have in person at the Hospital. If your friends are working at home they are most likely not very essential to the Hospital. Most of the administration has been there all along.
Mrs. Robr2 is a MG/Brigham IT worked and was advised last week that she won't be going back until June 2021. She works at HQ in Somerville which with it's open office environment makes it very difficult to keep employees apart. Does your sister run a clinical department that needs to be at the hospital?

What I read between the lines is that they understand that:
  • as a health care provider they need to take a leading role in limiting transmission
  • as the largest private employer in MA, they need to take a leading role in limiting transmission
  • childcare for the next year is going to be a major issue
  • they don't feel confident that a viable vaccine will be available until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 08:25 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
We got the official “no return until Jan ‘21 the earliest” today.

Those deemed essential are still on a rotating schedule to go in, with an “appreciation bonus” plan.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:11 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
This is hot off the press but truly amazing. Think of 20K cases in Greater Boston alone due to the Biogen event in February...not counting the far-reaching impact as attendees returned to their home cities.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...ews:newsletter

Old 08-25-2020, 08:22 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
This is hot off the press but truly amazing. Think of 20K cases in Greater Boston alone due to the Biogen event in February...not counting the far-reaching impact as attendees returned to their home cities.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/08/...ews:newsletter
I don't think we know the half of its spread from that meeting, and never will. My possible bout with it hit about 2 weeks after having dinner with friends who were staying at the Long Wharf when the Biogen meeting took place. Supposing for a moment (and, yes, it's just a hypothetical) that I did in fact carry it, it means they likely carried it, which means that between the party at our dinner, we were asymptomatic spreaders to Manhattan, London, and several other large indoor hubs (airports/train stations) which in turn handed it to countless others.

But the thing is, even if I was positive, contact tracing could never be completed which means we'll never know how many cases like mine could be linked back to it. That number could just as easily be 500,000 as 20,000.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
I've always suspected you were an intercontinental super-spreader, id77. Thank you for finally owning that.

My wife is back to work in Boston, someone in our circle just tested positive, and on and on. It seems inevitable at this point. It's only a matter of time.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:43 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I personally know someone who got corona from that Biogen meeting.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:50 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Any idea how some of these cases are catching it? It's one thing to see them reported, but it would be good to know what sort of risk-factors the person was engaging in. Were they very cautious and just happened to get it somehow from an unknown source? Or were they at a weekend party indoors, without masks? Are the 100-200 or so daily cases originating from nursing homes? Hospitals? Camps, schools? Public transportation? people who are in constant contact with others all day, etc etc.

I just wonder if this sort of data/contact tracing is being done to shut down those mechanisms of spread and/or alert the public to the activities/risks that leave them most vulnerable.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:34 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Any idea how some of these cases are catching it? It's one thing to see them reported, but it would be good to know what sort of risk-factors the person was engaging in. Were they very cautious and just happened to get it somehow from an unknown source? Or were they at a weekend party indoors, without masks? Are the 100-200 or so daily cases originating from nursing homes? Hospitals? Camps, schools? Public transportation? people who are in constant contact with others all day, etc etc.

I just wonder if this sort of data/contact tracing is being done to shut down those mechanisms of spread and/or alert the public to the activities/risks that leave them most vulnerable.
I'm wondering the same thing. 200+ cases per day, despite the kind of low positivity % and measures we have in place...just seems like we're missing a mode of transmission somewhere.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:46 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I agree it would be good to know more details on who’s getting this.

A few weeks ago we thought my brother in law had it. He was having trouble breathing and sweating. I was sure he had it as he’s not very health conscious and takes Ubers to work. Turns out he was experiencing alcohol withdrawal symptoms and everyone was relieved lol. Whole other issue but negative for corona. Caused a lot of drama waiting for those test results.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:38 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Baker says Massachusetts coronavirus cases traced to RI wedding

https://twitter.com/NBC10/status/1298311613037121537
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts