Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2021, 02:20 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times

Advertisements

Well this just happened. France is making covid shots mandatory for medical personnel by sept 15. If you want to get on a train or see a movie in theater you need proof of a vaccine or a negative test.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/fran...h-workers.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 02:55 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well this just happened. France is making covid shots mandatory for medical personnel by sept 15. If you want to get on a train or see a movie in theater you need proof of a vaccine or a negative test.
There still isn’t a vaccine approved for those under 12, a group that appears to be largely unaffected by the virus. Hopefully they make exceptions for kids at least until there is a viable vaccine for them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...nd-11625785260

Old 07-12-2021, 03:11 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Apparently provincetown is seeing an uptick:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...etown/2427606/

https://patch.com/massachusetts/barn...cases-cape-cod

Old 07-12-2021, 04:36 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I just don't see how you can have healthcare staff who work with the public refuse vaccination and continue their duties. People come to a healthcare facility to improve their health, not to degrade it - that's not a subtle point, do no harm. Further I think it reflects poorly on those who refuse - whether it's their medical understanding, their judgement, how much they value patients... Of course if someone has a known health issue that constitutes a special risk, I can see making rational exceptions for them. But for others, especially in that line of work, I just don't see how you can accept that behavior. It's not accepted for many other microbial risks, and this is another one, it's not some completely different animal that's somehow fine for healthcare workers to pretend doesn't exist.

Old 07-12-2021, 05:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
OutdoorLover, I entirely agree. Everyone ought to understand that this is a question of life and death.

Old 07-12-2021, 06:21 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Regarding the effectiveness of masks, I haven't gone back to the literature, but my understand is that viral particles will often not be naked virus, but will be virus entrained in tiny mucous droplets. Not only do these make the effective particle size significantly larger, they make them "stickier", and if a particle touches the fiber of the mesh of a mask layer, even if can fit through the adjacent opening, it will be trapped on the mask by binding to the fiber. So simple analyses based on mesh opening size and naked viral particles may underestimate the effectiveness of masks. I know they're not 100% effective, but my impression from the articles I've read in the past is that the protection is significant.
What you’re saying is plausible but largely (educated) conjecture. In the absence of rigorous study it remains the best of many guesses. Maybe by now rigorous transmission studies have been done, but I haven’t seen them. A casual glance at infection rates vs mask policies suggest the effect is small.

That’s not to knock masks. It’s just to compare it to the vaccine research which is conclusive and overwhelming. I understand why people are skeptical of masks (even if I don’t entirely agree), but for goodness sake, vaccines definitely work. I know I’m shouting into the wind here, but I wish more people would listen.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:47 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Well, it's an argument that the vaccines don't work well enough not to need a booster shot. Which makes the bleating about "get vaccinated so we can get back to normal" ring more than a little hollow. Which is what some of us have been saying the entire time.
In a way, the annual flu shot is a booster shot because the effectiveness wears out after half a year or so. The Covid vaccine works similarly I believe. We who recently got fully vaccinated with the Covid vaccine might not need a booster now but come six months time, things may change. Then you're probably one of those who don't believe in getting flu vaccines either.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:08 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
What you’re saying is plausible but largely (educated) conjecture. In the absence of rigorous study it remains the best of many guesses. Maybe by now rigorous transmission studies have been done, but I haven’t seen them. A casual glance at infection rates vs mask policies suggest the effect is small.

That’s not to knock masks. It’s just to compare it to the vaccine research which is conclusive and overwhelming. I understand why people are skeptical of masks (even if I don’t entirely agree), but for goodness sake, vaccines definitely work. I know I’m shouting into the wind here, but I wish more people would listen.
It looks like people have started doing studies, for instance https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...293-4/fulltext
I haven't studied the details to see how rigorous it is, however...And one study is not overwhelming evidence.
Another thing that would be interesting is to see if the usefulness of masks varies. For instance, I know that there has been concern about transmission via the eye - and I could imagine that this would be a larger concern with the much more infectious delta variant. At any rate, wearing a cloth mask when nobody else is wearing a mask is probably not all that useful these days...
Masking (by everybody) may also be more useful if you are quickly passing another shopper in a grocery store, than if you are sitting right next to someone for hours in a concert hall or classroom..

Old 07-12-2021, 09:37 PM

4,662 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
In a way, the annual flu shot is a booster shot because the effectiveness wears out after half a year or so. The Covid vaccine works similarly I believe. We who recently got fully vaccinated with the Covid vaccine might not need a booster now but come six months time, things may change. Then you're probably one of those who don't believe in getting flu vaccines either.
Haha. The old "you're right, but you're still an *******" gambit. I'll take it. As long as folks are dropping the dumbass "get vaccinated so we don't have to worry about this anymore" crap and are recognizing that the only sane way to approach this is as an endemic virus like flu, with an annual (or semi-annual, or whatever) shot for those who decide they want it.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:54 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Haha. The old "you're right, but you're still an *******" gambit. I'll take it. As long as folks are dropping the dumbass "get vaccinated so we don't have to worry about this anymore" crap and are recognizing that the only sane way to approach this is as an endemic virus like flu, with an annual (or semi-annual, or whatever) shot for those who decide they want it.
People have given up on eradicating COVID via the vaccine/herd immunity for quite some time now. The "get vaccinated so we don't have to worry about this anymore" attitude is mostly about preventing large scale outbreaks and limiting hospitalizations and deaths so that we can return to normal. The vaccine goes a long way toward helping that. I haven't heard anyone claim that the vaccine is going to make COVID disappear entirely for about a year now. The issue with the resistant folks is that they still make up a large enough chunk of the population for COVID to cause real problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts