Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2021, 08:18 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uh no. In mass the Quinn bill easily provides incentives to obtain more education for police officers in mass. Not all pds are the same. Baton Rouge will take those with just high school and typing. Down south judges are elected and that hurts in following the law
Until 2010 when the state eliminated its portion of the funding. Then in 2012 the Supreme Court ruled that cities/towns aren't obligated to pay the state's contributions. But yes, your overall observations are accurate. This varies across the country. In some parts of the country cops are paid worse than fast food employees so the fact that their median IQ is 6 points higher than the median for an average American is somewhat encouraging. Sad to say. This of course is besides the point that many of those with higher IQ's would demonstrate other deficiencies in skills needed to be successful (ie: common street sense).

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 09-12-2021 at 08:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 08:29 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,142,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
But more substantive than this illogical poisoning the well response, and I tend to pay more attention to those on the ground doing the job than those in their basements watching CNN.

I'm not a "centrist" and really don't care what you think about my personal political philosophy, so have no desire to maintain anything other than seek practical and evidence-led solutions to problems consistent with the principles of of a democratic republic. I know that is decidedly at odds with a corporate-sponsored 'progressive' who demands sheep-think or nothing, but too bad.
That sounds like a beautifully rational position, however, if you actually adhered to this belief you wouldn’t be linking posters to trash ‘think tanks’ like CIS which even the likes Cato and Heritage largely disregard as ideological hacks.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
That sounds like a beautifully rational position, however, if you actually adhered to this belief you wouldn’t be linking posters to trash ‘think tanks’ like CIS which even the likes Cato and Heritage largely disregard as ideological hacks.
Hearsay, trash....Blah blah blah, says the trash talking person using hearsay and logic fallacies.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Deflection? Politicizing vaccines? This is what you do here daily, Mr. "civic duty." If anybody has contributed to vaccine hesitancy it's many of the people using your tactics.
When did doing your civic duty become political? I’m done with you ignorant deplorables.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
When did doing your civic duty become political? I’m done with you ignorant deplorables.
Who died and left you arbiter in chief of what civic duty means? You expect me to believe you got a vaccine solely because it's your civic duty? As for me, long before the vaccines arrived when you and some of the other snivelers here were sitting at home on your private beaches complaining about how the world wasn't moving fast enough for you, I and millions of others were getting up everyday and going to work, many being exposed and naturally infected by COVID. That said, I believe in vaccine science and believe in medical choice.

But don't lecture me or anyone about civic duties.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:54 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
With respect to immigration the vast majority of those that we would call it illegal immigrants are actually those that have overstayed visas. There are ways of remedying that and certainly we do need to check up on that but planes can fly over walls. Walls are not exactly that big of a stop to this and we actually did have an amnesty for illegals back in 1986. Most lohin work gradual is going to be automated. In the book Reefer Madness it graphically described the strawberry trade. If you've ever tried to grow strawberries it's next to impossible to make that deficient without manual stoop labor until recently. If you get too much water they pop did you get to little they dry up etc.

Getting back to covid in Massachusetts I think we've done a relatively good job. The fact of the matter is that yes most people will not divert covid 8 cats it however it can transmit and it can also mutate. Those that are most likely to die from this or get sick from this or those with compromised immune systems and pre-existing conditions. One could argue that many of these might also be considered protected classes so we do have a bit of a legal moral and ethical obligation to try to minimize the amount of deaths. Anybody advocating that we should just let it spike out and just let hundreds of thousands or millions of people died he's not really thinking with the legal let alone moral aspects would be. In the past I have worked and actually been supervisor of many elderly people. I had no lie neighbor that was easily in her eighties next to me for a number of years. I think I have an obligation to ensure that people around me are able to be around me and that meant getting a vaccine. More importantly those that do survive or not necessarily all at 100%. Some I know I've gotten over this in a few days and I've heard about some re-infections. It obviously is not the flu because the flu normally kills 30,000 people not over 600,000.

Non violent death kills more than violent death so if we can make an argument that half of the country's a gun ordered to defend themselves but yet they won't wear masks to get a vaccine even though you're *much* more likely to get covid then you are actually getting assaulted, murdered or raped. It is hypocritical for something to make the argument that the not afraid of the virus but they *are* afraid of the vaccine.

Those that promote not getting the vaccine logically have no real obligation to prove you have not been vaccinated. In other words let's say people like Alex Jones and Louis Farrakhan say not to get the vaccine but it turns out they really did but they're not telling people. Do the HIPAA laws they don't really have to disclose that to their followers even though they probably did get it.

As for border control the best border controls to simply continue work from home. There you go and that means we still can send you the same status quo that we've had for the past 16 months.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Hearsay, trash....Blah blah blah, says the trash talking person using hearsay and logic fallacies.
Did you read the article you posted? High on rhetoric, low on substance. No shortage of dog whistles.

I’m sorry, but it’s hard to take you position seriously when you disregard data on NYT because it’s a leftist rag, but then post links to NY Post and CIS as though that content deserves serious consideration. It is, at best, wildly inconsistent and not at all rational.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Did you read the article you posted? High on rhetoric, low on substance. No shortage of dog whistles.

I’m sorry, but it’s hard to take you position seriously when you disregard data on NYT because it’s a leftist rag, but then post links to NY Post and CIS as though that content deserves serious consideration. It is, at best, wildly inconsistent and not at all rational.

Yes, it links to your beloved NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/u...el-centro.html as well as the WaPo and WSJ. What, exactly, do you disagree with and why?

I don't expect you take to anything seriously that doesn't fit your hard-left narrative, so no need to offer your patronizing, sorry. Intellectually, you're an ideologically driven joke who comes here to flame anyone who dares venture outside your pre-approved Massachusetts progressive dogma.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
With respect to immigration the vast majority of those that we would call it illegal immigrants are actually those that have overstayed visas.
Immigration was raised in connection with public health and overall COVID policies and for no other reason. Otherwise, it is completely unrelated to this thread.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, it links to your beloved NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/u...el-centro.html as well as the WaPo and WSJ. What, exactly, do you disagree with and why?

I don't expect you take to anything seriously that doesn't fit your hard-left narrative, so no need to offer your patronizing, sorry. Intellectually, you're an ideologically driven joke who comes here to flame anyone who dares venture outside your pre-approved Massachusetts progressive dogma.
I disagree with their language, which IMO, is leveraging words like ‘refugees’ to dogwhistle illegals when the content of the article largely points to a reopening spike and US citizens recrossing the border.

While it should be noted that this article was pre-Biden, the same argument is being made by the likes of TX AG Paxton against illegals through far right channels like Newsmax … albeit with less whistle and more bull horn (cue the use of ‘China virus’).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sta...amp/8116347002

I’m not suggesting illegals aren’t contributing to the problem, but to suggest local behavior (I.e., low vax rates amongst low income and minority populations and poor risk mitigation) isn’t the primary driver is an argument without much merit. It’s misdirected blame versus acknowledging Covid is a challenging governing problem.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 09-12-2021 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts