Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 03:24 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,052,419 times

Advertisements

There’s a Bus Driver Shortage in the Commonwealth (Seriously)!

https://www.boston.com/news/schools/...p_featurestack

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 03:31 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So old fashioned conservatism is conspiracy theories and pseudoscience? That’s certainly an appropriate description of Newsmax. And your Stalin reference shows you have no knowledge of history. Most on this forum lean a bit European social Democrat. In Europe, that’s a conservative.
Anyone for vaccine passports are not only far to the left they do not stand for American principles of freedom. It's something out of a dystopian movie. Democrats were far more conservative in the 1960's but now they are nothing like they were during that era. The country has gone more to the left.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:32 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Ridiculous! This is what you use the Nat Guard for?
In retrospect, it seems a lot more productive than some of the things we used the National Guard for.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I agree it does seem ridiculous. I know kids need to get to school but seems crazy there wasn't anything else that could be done. Getting bus drivers didn't seem to be an issue in the past but if this is going to become a thing school systems will be in trouble. It isn't sustainable to use the national guard for something like this. My kids take the bus so I guess getting drivers wasn't an issue here. If it was I'd be happy to drive them myself and pick them up.
Unemployment benefits will end soon I can't see this going on for long. Maybe people are more picky about which job they take. In Chicago they required vaccination for all bus drivers that led to thier shortage.

Every place I walk into is hiring I have never seen anything like it. Some don't want to wear a mask or take a vaccine but I doubt that's the only reasons.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 09-13-2021 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-13-2021, 04:39 PM

More problems with vaccine passports... I'd rather have a full hospital of some unvaccinated medical professionals than causing a shortage by mandating vaccines...

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...te/5680714001/

It looks like some don't want the vaccine they are willing to lose their jobs.
https://www.wkyt.com/2021/09/13/hosp...ccine-mandate/

Old 09-13-2021, 05:25 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Anyone for vaccine passports are not only far to the left they do not stand for American principles of freedom. It's something out of a dystopian movie. Democrats were far more conservative in the 1960's but now they are nothing like they were during that era. The country has gone more to the left.
Have read nearly all your posts on this. You haven't yet advanced a cogent argument for why it's OK for states including MA to have vaccine mandates for, like 10 diseases, but not Covid. Mississippi doesn't even have exemptions for religious beliefs!

Old 09-13-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Have read nearly all your posts on this. You haven't yet advanced a cogent argument for why it's OK for states including MA to have vaccine mandates for, like 10 diseases, but not Covid. Mississippi doesn't even have exemptions for religious beliefs!
There should not be any mandates for any vaccine only recommendations let the parents decide. Those older vaccines worked. If you took the small pox vaccine you could not get smallpox. With the covid vaccine you can still get covid or pass it to someone else. It makes more sense for older Americans to get the vaccine because they are at risk versus teens who have no risk and have a chance of heart problems.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 09-13-2021 at 06:29 PM..

Old 09-13-2021, 06:50 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
There should not be any mandates for any vaccine only recommendations let the parents decide. Those older vaccines worked. If you took the small pox vaccine you could not get smallpox. With the covid vaccine you can still get covid or pass it to someone else. It makes more sense for older Americans to get the vaccine because they are at risk versus teens who have no risk and have a chance of heart problems.
But that is not the reality. Point is--mandates do exist and have been in place for decades.

As for your scenario? Guess what: if everyone got vaxxed against Covid, pretty soon there would be nothing to pass on to anyone. Kind of what we've got now with measles, polio, and all those other diseases. Funny how that works

Old 09-13-2021, 06:50 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
A lot of folks here including in this forum make that argument that vaccine passports do not stand for American principles of freedom but what do we know how the Founding Fathers would have felt about a vaccine mandate. Washington, Adams and Jefferson did not have to face a virus like this. They could have just as well declared a vaccine mandate legitimate because it was not mandated by the King but by individuals elected to represent and protect the people. I mean think about it, getting the vaccine could be as American as arming oneself in the time of necessity, only this time arming oneself with an antivirus rather than a firearm. Americans were long taught to swear to protect each other so I don't see how different mandating that every loyal and patriotic citizen and resident get a vaccine is any different. I actually think this mandate is somewhat rightist, not leftist.

Old 09-13-2021, 07:36 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
The older vaccines "worked" because they were mandated. And they didn't work without a small number of persons suffering from Vaccine injury. There exists a Smallpox Vaccine Injury Compensation Program if you search around for it. Smallpox is gone, and unfortunately a small number of persons suffered side effects.

It's always been known that vaccines may not prevent illness outright but would lessen the severity if you do in fact catch the illness you are being vaccinated against. Less symptoms, less viral load, shorter duration. Even the flu vaccine was never touted as being 100% effective but was always assumed to reduce the severity. My wife came down with a very bad case of the flu about 4-5 years ago even after being vaccinated. (bad enough that I never want to experience that myself so i started getting the flu vaccine for the first time after that) The chickenpox and shingles vaccines are other vaccines that have been known to have breakthrough cases.

Nothing we are seeing with the Covid vaccine should be surprising. There is precedent for breakthrough cases, and there is precedent for reduced or symptomatic cases still allowing for the aliment to be spread. There is precedent for a small number of vaccine related injury. We are looking at over 4 billion covid vaccine shots that have been administered to date and over a year of data collection.

There is even evidence of extreme asymptomatic transmission with coronaviruses. This study in 2012 shows that the number of asymptomatic cases of the common cold outnumber symptomatic cases 4 to 1. I wouldn't be surprised if Covid behaves the same way.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0619225719.htm

I've always considered myself to be right-of-center/libertarian leaning, and if you saw my postings prior to 2020 I would definitely sound this way, but when it comes to Covid i can't get on board with that train of thought due to personal experience. I stopped hanging around with certain peers or stopped participating in certain boards/forums because of the "If you aren't with us you are against us" mentality. Being a critical thinker and coming to your own conclusion only prevents you from being labeled a sheep if that conclusion is the opposite of what a democrat tells you. Hell, I did testing on masks for the gov't and found myself being ridiculed because my data aligned with the "liberal agenda to control people". Outside of a few C-D posts, i've just checked out politically. I don't even want to think about the 2024 election.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-13-2021 at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts