Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2021, 08:37 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,925 times

Advertisements

Delta is no joke and there’s probably a lot more breakthrough cases than the official stats show as most of those who get one show little or no symptoms and do not get tested. Good news for the vaccinated because even though they still get it their immune system makes quick work of the virus and it’s no worse than a mild cold, awful news for anti-vaxxers because those who are vaccinated typically go back to normal life, with no masks and no six parsec distance to the nearest life form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Htfdcolt, it is awful, but it's not strange at all. Everyone knows what they ought to do, because it's an absolutely deadly risk. Even here in Massachusetts there are still deaths happening.

I also know a woman who got a breakthrough case, and she felt pretty sick for a few days, but never needed to be hospitalized and seems to have recovered well. I have to say "seems to" because we really don't know what the long-term effects are going to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 06:57 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Well, I got some tragic news today. A former colleague of mine passed away from Covid this morning. Only ~50 (from memory), muscular and fit, no known co-morbidities. But unvaccinated (for reasons unclear). Went on a weekend trip to Block Island w/2 buddies, and started feeling sick after he returned. Went to the hospital and it all happened very quickly...in a matter of days.

His 2 buddies? Both vaccinated, not even a hint of sickness. Folks--get vaccinated. The side effects from the vaccine are not worse than getting sick from Covid.
I'm so sorry, htfcolt. That is really sad. It's so strange to me that most people who fit this description (50, fit, no underlying issues) would suffer mild symptoms and be fine. But for some reason there is a handful of people for which COVID is deadly despite those people being relatively young and healthy. That is what is scary about taking the gamble--if you're young and healthy will you probably be fine? Sure. But if you're one of the unlucky ones...and there is no way to know that...then you're going to regret taking the chance.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:01 AM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Right, vaccinated or not it does seem strange to me that someone who is 50 with no known issues would be dead in a matter of days from this.

I'm guessing he had something else going on and there's more to the story but whatever the case it's very tragic.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:15 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right, vaccinated or not it does seem strange to me that someone who is 50 with no known issues would be dead in a matter of days from this.

I'm guessing he had something else going on and there's more to the story but whatever the case it's very tragic.
I've wondered the same thing--for those who were seemingly young and healthy, but ended up losing their lives to COVID, was there an undiagnosed medical condition lurking? Maybe not, but would be interesting to know if that was a contributing factor to some of these deaths.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:25 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Overall I think things are getting better but I still think that we still have to push to get more people vaccinated. I have relatives that have compromised immune systems and have more frequent trips to hospitals and other medical facilities. If it gets to a point where non-vaccinated cannot come in so be it. Potentially exposing people on a repeated basis is not a good idea and most of the medical community know this. I cannot fathom why people in the medical community would not be vaccinated.

I know that there are parts in western Mass that I've reinstituted face masks on the inside of private businesses even for those vaccinated. Report card that I used to go to quite a number of concerts Here There and since it's been far less. Venues are basing the viability on the local area not necessarily those it will show up. I've already seen a few bands that have cancelled shows at areas that have higher amounts of covid-19. So while we asked ourselves that the numbers keep going down is it low enough to avoid forms of litigation?

Old 10-06-2021, 07:49 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I'm so sorry, htfcolt. That is really sad. It's so strange to me that most people who fit this description (50, fit, no underlying issues) would suffer mild symptoms and be fine. But for some reason there is a handful of people for which COVID is deadly despite those people being relatively young and healthy. That is what is scary about taking the gamble--if you're young and healthy will you probably be fine? Sure. But if you're one of the unlucky ones...and there is no way to know that...then you're going to regret taking the chance.
Thank you, NewfieMama. Yeah, very tough to say. It's been barely 24 hrs, details are still not widely known, other than it was only around 5 days from hospital admission to passing. Plus Delta has been more deadly, no doubt...one of my contract engineers in India got it and passed away at an even younger age (28) earlier this year.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:11 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Well, I got some tragic news today. A former colleague of mine passed away from Covid this morning. Only ~50 (from memory), muscular and fit, no known co-morbidities. But unvaccinated (for reasons unclear). Went on a weekend trip to Block Island w/2 buddies, and started feeling sick after he returned. Went to the hospital and it all happened very quickly...in a matter of days.

His 2 buddies? Both vaccinated, not even a hint of sickness. Folks--get vaccinated. The side effects from the vaccine are not worse than getting sick from Covid.
So sorry to hear about your former colleague, htfdcolt.

Old 10-06-2021, 11:33 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
My condolences

Old 10-06-2021, 01:14 PM

875 posts, read 664,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

I know that there are parts in western Mass that I've reinstituted face masks on the inside of private businesses even for those vaccinated. Report card that I used to go to quite a number of concerts Here There and since it's been far less. Venues are basing the viability on the local area not necessarily those it will show up. I've already seen a few bands that have cancelled shows at areas that have higher amounts of covid-19. So while we asked ourselves that the numbers keep going down is it low enough to avoid forms of litigation?
mdovell - did you have a stroke? - blink once for yes, two for no

Old 10-06-2021, 01:33 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
There is nothing wrong with using a speech-to-text app, but I feel it is disrespectful to other members to post replies without proofreading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts