Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 08:29 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,074,486 times

Advertisements

J&J is an old school viral vector vaccine with none of those scaaaaaary gmo mrna 5g microchips but anti-vaxxers still won't take it. Sure, it comes with powerball-winning level chance of fatal blood clots but they'd much rather take their 1.5 in 100 chance of dying of COVID if the catch it (spoiler alert: they will eventually) instead and make a valuable contribution to the COVID variant fund while they're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I think there are still a handful of unvaccinated who would be comfortable with the Novavax vaccine. It's unfortunate it's taken so long to come to market. I think those who are still uneasy about long-term data for the new mRNA vaccines would be more comfortable with a traditional protein-based vaccine because of the longer history with that type of vaccine. I am firmly in the camp that people have the freedom to do what they wish with their bodies and don't feel even slightly threatened by the unvaccinated, but do wish there were a vaccine option that (some) of them were comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 08:35 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
A Facebook "friend" (we met a handful of times years ago, but we weren't close at all) of mine died from COVID last week after a long hospitalization (family regularly posted updates). Over the summer, he was posting a lot of the "vaccines don't work," "vaccines are killing people," "we shouldn't be requiring people to take a vaccine for a virus with a 0.07% fatality rate" misinformation. Apparently, based on GoFundMe and several posts from friends/loved ones, he also lost a couple of other family members to COVID in recent months. It's really sad. I am a very firm believer that everyone has the right to put themselves at risk for whatever reason they choose. But as has been repeatedly stated here, there's a societal impact to these decisions. And not mentioned as much is the impact to friends and loved ones. He paid a great price for the risk he decided to take, but his family is going to be picking up the pieces for a long time and they had no say in any of it.
I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm sure he regretted his decision at the end, which is sad for him and his family. I'm hopeful the Merck treatment will significantly reduce a scenario like this from happening.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:40 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacconn View Post
Seems to me the towns that least need the mask mandates are the ones that have them
Has it occurred to you that maybe the reason those towns you feel least need the mandates is because they've had them?

Old 10-04-2021, 08:45 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
A friend of mine said her dr told her not to bother with getting a booster shot because it's Pfizer and she had the moderna vaccine.
Was wondering about that. I had Moderna, and not that I'm eligible, but was wondering if one could mix/match and get the Pfizer booster.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:46 AM

64 posts, read 67,566 times
I highly doubt COVID would be running rampant in Belmont, Winchester and Lexington were it not for the town mask mandates. The vaccinates did the heavy work for us in dramatically improving safety, not the incremental masking. So when should we stop masking - ever? What happens when the entire town (all ages) is 90% vaccinated (as it will be come Nov when ages 5+ are likely to be eligible)?

Seriously, when COVID is endemic and causes a bad cold (as it does in the vast majority of vaccinated breakthrough cases - which will be all the cases in my town in short order), at what point can we drop the mask and just live with it?

Old 10-04-2021, 08:47 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I'm so sorry about your friend. I'm sure he regretted his decision at the end, which is sad for him and his family. I'm hopeful the Merck treatment will significantly reduce a scenario like this from happening.
Until some joker / Russian bot plants a seed about how Merck's CEO is a buddy of Bill Gates and/or Jeffrey Epstein.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:48 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Was wondering about that. I had Moderna, and not that I'm eligible, but was wondering if one could mix/match and get the Pfizer booster.
This dr advised against it. Maybe moderna will come out with a booster. My friend is eligible for a booster because she had cancer and some heart issues.

https://whyy.org/articles/what-about...fizer-vaccine/

Old 10-04-2021, 08:49 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Of course that was true - in 2020. Not now - vaccinates did the heavy work for us in dramatically improving safety, not the incremental masking in a boutique shop. So when should we stop masking - ever? What happens when the entire town is 90% vaccinated (as it will be come Nov when ages 5+ are likely to be eligible)?

Seriously, when COVID is endemic and causes a bad cold (as it does in the vast majority of vaccinated breakthrough cases - which will be all the cases in my town in short order), at what point can we drop the mask and just live with it?
I would occasionally see people wearing masks before covid. Mainly Asian people. My guess is some folks will keep wearing them. I would mostly see people wearing them on the train...not in supermarkets or malls, etc.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:58 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
J&J is an old school viral vector vaccine with none of those scaaaaaary gmo mrna 5g microchips but anti-vaxxers still won't take it. Sure, it comes with powerball-winning level chance of fatal blood clots but they'd much rather take their 1.5 in 100 chance of dying of COVID if the catch it (spoiler alert: they will eventually) instead and make a valuable contribution to the COVID variant fund while they're at it.
I know, It's almost like the 5g microchip stuff is a strawman created by the media for midwits to parrot, rather than a real phenomenon of any significant size.

Yes, people who don't take the vaccine will eventually get Covid, probably. But, so will you. Fortunately, the chance of dying from Covid is nowhere near 1.5%; even the CDC admitted as much, long ago. This estimate by the CDC puts the infection fatality rate at less than half of 1.5%: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html

Old 10-04-2021, 09:04 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
I highly doubt COVID would be running rampant in Belmont, Winchester and Lexington were it not for the town mask mandates. The vaccinates did the heavy work for us in dramatically improving safety, not the incremental masking. So when should we stop masking - ever? What happens when the entire town (all ages) is 90% vaccinated (as it will be come Nov when ages 5+ are likely to be eligible)?

I don't have the answers, but now doesn't seem to be a good time to drop mandates.

Keep in mind that it's now October and we are approaching the 6 month point after which the vast majority were vaccinated. It's wearing off for many people...and most are not yet eligible for a booster.

Please try to be patient. It's really not such a big deal to put on a mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts