Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 07:27 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Seems like the vaccines everyone got last spring/summer are wearing off as this covid wave is happening. Not everyone rushed out to get the booster. I know quite a few people who have covid over the past few weeks who were vaccinated. Not sure on whether they were all boosted but I can see where they’d be annoyed at just getting double vaxxed 6 months ago and still got the thing they were hoping to avoid getting.

My work has now made boosters mandatory.
Wow, really? I'm pretty sure that puts your employer at the vanguard!

Turns out our company is still on the fence. Yes, they put out a call asking for proof of our vax status earlier this week, but turns out they did that just in case the mandate for companies > 100 employees is upheld. They want to be able to respond and enforce quickly if so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 08:23 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'll try to use little words so you can comprehend them.

The current data is that vaccinated and boosted, vaccine efficacy is 90% or better against Delta. I'm 90% less likely to be infected and transmit the disease than someone who is unvaccinated. If I'm in a room with everyone vaccinated and boosted and one of them happens to be infected, I'm 90% less likely to get infected myself. If everyone is vaccinated, the transmission rate drops down well below 1.0 and this thing goes away. It's the selfish unvaccinated people who are prolonging the pandemic. If you're not vaccinated, you're selfish. End of story.
How patronizing of you!
As you are being so knowledgeable - care to provide for us - the unwashed masses- the study proving your claim of 90% efficacy against Delta? I didn’t see it in Pfizer or Moderna’s claims- not that I would tend to trust them. 3 parties validated, please.

Please describe your definition of “boosted”- they are on a jab #4 in Israel.

Maybe next you should straighten the UC Davis researches regarding viral loads similar in vaccinated vs unvaccinated

https://www.ucdavis.edu/health/covid...cinated-people

As far as I know - to fly one need to be vaccinated- how did Omicron get here from SA?

In as little words as possible I am saying that vaccinated people spread the virus too.

According to some research they might clear it faster - which is helpful as the vaccinated may infect less people, unless they are asymptomatic - then it is very bad - as they continue walking around and infecting other people vs people with the symptoms who stay home.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 12-16-2021 at 09:08 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 08:32 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The point is: the gold standard for immunity that's being floated is to be current on your Covid shots, but the record of the Covid shots speaks for itself: 88.3% of your state has had at least one shot, many have had three or more shots, you have people wearing masks and doing all this other crap, and you still have Covid all over the place, so it is risible to continue to say that we can get past this if everyone takes their shots. Where is the straight line you can draw, using facts and logic, from our current situation to a measles-like resolution, where a bug inherently more contagious than Covid was controlled with most people taking a one-time set of two shots and without any mitigation efforts that wormed their way into daily life? It isn't there.
The problem is: There are too many people like you who refuse to cooperate.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:35 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
5,883 new cases and 30 new deaths were reported on Thursday.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:37 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The problem is: There are too many people like you who refuse to cooperate.
Of course I refuse to cooperate! I just laid out very clearly why it is ridiculous to cooperate with the plan as prescribed. And all you have to say is, I refuse to cooperate. Well, no s***!

Old 12-16-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So you say you have some rebuttals, but yet you can't find any fault with what I wrote. Where is the mistake?
Really don’t want to write the essay.

You can’t just use the whole population to calculate the ratios like you did.

For example, the attack rate of the infection in the population during a known period - as not everyone in a given population is infected with the Covid.

Are those unvaccinated dead- dead from Covid or other issues? It is not clear.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 12-16-2021 at 09:12 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 08:49 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The point is: the gold standard for immunity that's being floated is to be current on your Covid shots, but the record of the Covid shots speaks for itself: 88.3% of your state has had at least one shot, many have had three or more shots, you have people wearing masks and doing all this other crap, and you still have Covid all over the place, so it is risible to continue to say that we can get past this if everyone takes their shots. Where is the straight line you can draw, using facts and logic, from our current situation to a measles-like resolution, where a bug inherently more contagious than Covid was controlled with most people taking a one-time set of two shots and without any mitigation efforts that wormed their way into daily life? It isn't there.

No the point is who the heck cares. This sort of deflection is all irrelevant to what measures you or I should take to protect ourselves and those around us. Do the right thing, or don't. It's a given that a lot of people won't. All of us pay the price.

Old 12-16-2021, 08:55 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No the point is who the heck cares. This sort of deflection is all irrelevant to what measures you or I should take to protect ourselves and those around us. Do the right thing, or don't. It's a given that a lot of people won't. All of us pay the price.
You truly believe you're all "paying the price" for the 11.7% of your state that hasn't taken one of these shots? Really? When much of that 11.7% is little kids, who hardly get sick from this? When Cornell University (not in your state, but an example of a place where almost everyone is vaccinated) is 97% vaccinated and sending kids home for break early because they have so many positive tests? Come on.

What percentage of people aren't vaccinated for measles? I assure you it's not zero. Do we "pay the price" for those people? If the answer to that is "generally, no," as I believe it is, isn't that because those shots work a hell of a lot better than the Covid shots?

I'm sorry my reply is sort of aggressive, but you called a pretty carefully considered and reasoned case I made a "deflection," which is baseless. I hope you'll consider what I have to say.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 12-16-2021 at 09:13 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The other thing is those that say they have "natural immunity" but yet there's really no testing for that and if there were we'd still be in the situation of testing. It reminds me of a drunk driving argument where some argued that your BAL should be on a individual basis with a test rather than uniform one across the board. Yeah that would be complicated to say the least for law enforcement and litigation. You set a standard and stick to it.
First of all, there are tests for a natural immunity-they are more involved and expensive and the research is available.

Second, using your drunk driving comparison- how do you feel about 100lb person receiving the same amount of vaccines as 300lb person?
80 y.o. getting the same amount as 20y.o?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The state reports the 14-day daily average in Bristol County is 86.6 positives per day per 100,000. With the pathetic vaccination rate in this part of the state, it should blow past 100 in next week's report. My next door neighbor died Tuesday night. This is all so unnecessary.
Just looked up Jacksonville Beach Florida.
They have even lower fully vaccinated rate than Bristol County, but only 6 cases per 100,000.
What gives?

Something isn’t adding up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts