Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 10:40 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
OK, but what is the end game then? I told my family several months ago that this seems headed toward a situation where you get a text from the government that says it's been x months since your last booster, you need to report to your local vaccine center within y days or we press a button and deactivate your driver's license. Responses were: that won't happen, you're crazy, etc. At this point, can it really be said, with a reasonable degree of confidence, that I was off base?

I'm generally not the type to live in fear of what I cannot control. More one who grabs life by the bullhorns and takes charge of what I "can" control.

That's my advice of the day for good health and being at peace.

But tell me more about this theory (that our DLs will be deactivated if we fail to report to vaccine center...), it's honestly first I've heard of such. When should we expect this to be implemented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 02:58 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Really don’t want to write the essay.

You can’t just use the whole population to calculate the ratios like you did.

For example, the attack rate of the infection in the population during a known period - as not everyone in a given population is infected with the Covid.

Are those unvaccinated dead- dead from Covid or other issues? It is not clear.
You are confused.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Just looked up Jacksonville Beach Florida.
They have even lower fully vaccinated rate than Bristol County, but only 6 cases per 100,000.
What gives?

Something isn’t adding up
Infection rates have declined for the predominant strain, Delta, in the south, because they had a large Delta surge earlier. Most people in that region have some level of immunity due to either vaccination or prior infection. This is what has caused the rates to slow there. It's the same thing that was seen in India and the UK - Delta raged for a time, infecting and killing many people, but the wave rose, crested and then fell. It's not gone, but the transmission rates fall once you have a significant number of people who've either been vaccinated or had prior exposure. This is why I wrote maybe 4-6 weeks ago that the most prominent feature in the national "hot spots" map was that it looked like the inverse of what it did this summer.

Antivax people often state that the vaccines "don't work" because infection and transmission are still possible for vaccinated people. That's false, because both infection and transmission are significantly reduced, even for the Delta variant - and more importantly there's the protection against the severe consequences of hospitalization and death, which are both greater. People with prior infection can also be reinfected and transmit infection, but again, the rates of these events is lower than with naive individuals who've not been exposed to either the virus or its antigens.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-17-2021 at 04:04 AM..

Old 12-17-2021, 04:32 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
Quite apt for this thread I think:

https://media-exp1.licdn.com/dms/ima...3qwfuS8gZR_Alc

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-17-2021 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 12-17-2021, 05:36 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Wow, really? I'm pretty sure that puts your employer at the vanguard!

Turns out our company is still on the fence. Yes, they put out a call asking for proof of our vax status earlier this week, but turns out they did that just in case the mandate for companies > 100 employees is upheld. They want to be able to respond and enforce quickly if so.
I work at a university. This is what the message said:

Looking to the spring semester, we will require COVID-19 boosters for all members of our community who are eligible, including students, faculty, staff, and researchers (individuals with an approved exemption will not need to submit additional information).

My dad was vaxxed last spring, boosted in September and I think he had covid a few weeks. He was coughing, had a cold and refused to get tested. With cases on the rise I’m thinking that what he had probably wasn’t a cold but that’s what he kept saying.

Another hockey mom showed up at the rink on Sunday wearing a mask and she usually doesn’t wear one. She has been vaxxed and goes oh I woke up this morning with a cold. I think a lot of people who’ve been vaxxed assume it’s a cold especially if it’s mild. I’m sure everyone wants to believe they have a cold over covid. Having covid seems to be like having herpes or something.

It’s kind of sad because I think a lot of people thought they didn’t have to worry about covid anymore once they got vaxxed and then boosted.

I get the impression people here think folks should be still be staying at home even if vaccinated. I think most are doing the best they can but life has to go on. I don’t know anyone who is having a holiday party but people are going to sporting events and on trips. I don’t even know what we’re doing for Xmas which is kind of sad also. No one knows what to do.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:44 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Quote:
First of all, there are tests for a natural immunity-they are more involved and expensive and the research is available.

Second, using your drunk driving comparison- how do you feel about 100lb person receiving the same amount of vaccines as 300lb person?
80 y.o. getting the same amount as 20y.o?
My point is with those side of natural immunity is that there are those that have this Blind Faith but it's not backed up with anything. If we really wanted to go into the audio of natural immunity would have to have some point testing for it and then people would be against those tests to and just say it's based on Blind Faith and not actual empirical data.

I'm not really bad well-versed in medical signs to know about how much of a vaccine is needed for a person. I know there's a debate about fully vaccinated being two shots or if it includes the booster or not.

At this point I think hybrid and virtual employment is the norm. I don't see any major employers next year demanding that employees all come back in the office at the same time for the whole work week.

The other thing to keep in mind in this is bad when people say there's only a 2% chance of death in the average person one no one is really truly an average and even if it is 2% it's 2% for how many number of exposures. If somebody is constantly exposed and that 2% becomes a factor constantly you know it's going to be erode with time. Let me put it to you this way let's suppose you're playing roulette and it's a double green table. You put your chips on red and black you have a 95% chance of hitting each one as a game it looks stupid because you're not really going to win anything but 5% of the time you're going to lose.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Quote:
Aren’t we a superpower? Where are our super powers?
Dying off along with the greatest generation.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:32 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
The COVID enthusiasts are going to be disappointed with this news:

South Africa Hospitalization Rate Plunges 91% in Omicron Wave

"We have seen a decrease in a proportion of people who need to be on oxygen. They are at very low levels,” said Waasila Jassat, a researcher with the NICD. “For the first time there are more non-severe than severe patients in hospital."

Old 12-17-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
My point is with those side of natural immunity is that there are those that have this Blind Faith but it's not backed up with anything. If we really wanted to go into the audio of natural immunity would have to have some point testing for it and then people would be against those tests to and just say it's based on Blind Faith and not actual empirical data.

I'm not really bad well-versed in medical signs to know about how much of a vaccine is needed for a person. I know there's a debate about fully vaccinated being two shots or if it includes the booster or not.

At this point I think hybrid and virtual employment is the norm. I don't see any major employers next year demanding that employees all come back in the office at the same time for the whole work week.

The other thing to keep in mind in this is bad when people say there's only a 2% chance of death in the average person one no one is really truly an average and even if it is 2% it's 2% for how many number of exposures. If somebody is constantly exposed and that 2% becomes a factor constantly you know it's going to be erode with time. Let me put it to you this way let's suppose you're playing roulette and it's a double green table. You put your chips on red and black you have a 95% chance of hitting each one as a game it looks stupid because you're not really going to win anything but 5% of the time you're going to lose.
We had a back to the office week scheduled for January, where everyone was supposed to come in and there'd be meetups (many people have been recently hired and have actually never been in), and we'd discuss the plan to come back steady-state... but that was just cancelled until March.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:36 AM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
CNN and local news is reporting that the flu vaccine is not very effective against the prevalent strain of flu! So another vaccine that isnt doing its job. CDC says around 700,000 people are hospitalized with the flu every yr. So more overloaded hospitals and it wont be all covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts