Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 02:18 PM

266 posts, read 236,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Again, it's irrelevant.
You are the one who is missing the point Tribecavsbrown is making
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 02:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You're showing a pattern of refusing to answer very simple (and easy) questions. One more time, and then I'll let it go: have there been posters here trying to sell people on the Covid shots by referring to MMR and how, because an overwhelming majority of us have taken it, we don't normally see measles infections? Yes or no?
We don't when everyone is inoculated. We do see outbreaks when there is a segment that is not inoculated.

But its not relevant. All viruses are different, and all vaccines are different. Some I have to take boosters quite frequently, some I have to take less frequently. It's a non issue. Diseases are different, vaccines are different, a body's response to different diseases are different, a body's response to different vaccines are different.

It's being straight up moronic to try to compare and say a medicine, or a vaccine, or whatever doesn't work because another medicine or vaccine works differently with another disease. I mean, that's grade A idiocy.

Old 12-16-2021, 03:07 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Right but what's the recourse? Thoughts and prayers? Look no vaccines are perfect but we're talking about a global strategy. This isn't like pinning the Iraq was on the US. If we want fewer variants this is the only long term solution.

You aren't making a logical argument.
It's quite logical, actually. There are other options (that are not mutually exclusive). What is illogical is your implication that imperfect vaccines alone will stop variants. They won't, so your sole reliance on this is quite puzzling.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:00 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We don't when everyone is inoculated. We do see outbreaks when there is a segment that is not inoculated.

But its not relevant. All viruses are different, and all vaccines are different. Some I have to take boosters quite frequently, some I have to take less frequently. It's a non issue. Diseases are different, vaccines are different, a body's response to different diseases are different, a body's response to different vaccines are different.

It's being straight up moronic to try to compare and say a medicine, or a vaccine, or whatever doesn't work because another medicine or vaccine works differently with another disease. I mean, that's grade A idiocy.
Is it "straight up moronic" to say/imply Covid shots do work because other shots (which work differently) work? Because I see that all the time on here.

Old 12-16-2021, 04:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
Is it "straight up moronic" to say/imply Covid shots do work because other shots (which work differently) work? Because I see that all the time on here.
They can't work the same because one is a real "vaccine" as we understand the definition and one is not.

With the covid injection, you can still get the disease and still spread it, but the symptoms should be milder and not require hospitalization.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
I've not seen that. I've seen covid shots working because the data, from trials and in real life roll out, have been shown to work through multiple multiple studies. Replication is a key component of the scientific method, and this find has been repeated over and over and over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They can't work the same because one is a real "vaccine" as we understand the definition and one is not. .
I have no idea how this fake news gets tossed around. The mRNA vaccines meet the 2020 definition of vaccine, the 2010, 2000, and heck 1950s definition.

Heck, just look at the 2017 definition here, pre covid:

"Vaccines are substances that prepare the immune system to fight a disease-causing germ or other pathogen by imitating an infection. They trick the immune system into making a “memory” of that germ without ever having to fight the real germ in the first place."

Exactly what covid vaccines do. It is a vaccine. A "real vaccine". How it was produced was different than in the past, but that makes it no less real and no less fitting the definition.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've not seen that. I've seen covid shots working because the data, from trials and in real life roll out, have been shown to work through multiple multiple studies. Replication is a key component of the scientific method, and this find has been repeated over and over and over.

I have no idea how this fake news gets tossed around. The mRNA vaccines meet the 2020 definition of vaccine, the 2010, 2000, and heck 1950s definition.

Heck, just look at the 2017 definition here, pre covid:

"Vaccines are substances that prepare the immune system to fight a disease-causing germ or other pathogen by imitating an infection. They trick the immune system into making a “memory” of that germ without ever having to fight the real germ in the first place."

Exactly what covid vaccines do. It is a vaccine. A "real vaccine". How it was produced was different than in the past, but that makes it no less real and no less fitting the definition.
OK. So is your position that you have seen at least one post that claims or implies the Covid shots are ineffective compared to other shots, and you have not seen any posts that claim or imply the effectiveness of the Covid shots should be unquestioned because of the effectiveness of other shots? If so, you somehow missed posts 15356, 15334, 15321, 15324, and 15326.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:47 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
You're showing a pattern of refusing to answer very simple (and easy) questions. One more time, and then I'll let it go: have there been posters here trying to sell people on the Covid shots by referring to MMR and how, because an overwhelming majority of us have taken it, we don't normally see measles infections? Yes or no?
I haven't made any comments about measles. Direct your questions to the posters who have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebruiser500 View Post
You are the one who is missing the point Tribecavsbrown is making

Correct, I am missing his point.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:53 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Seems like the vaccines everyone got last spring/summer are wearing off as this covid wave is happening. Not everyone rushed out to get the booster. I know quite a few people who have covid over the past few weeks who were vaccinated. Not sure on whether they were all boosted but I can see where they’d be annoyed at just getting double vaxxed 6 months ago and still got the thing they were hoping to avoid getting.

My work has now made boosters mandatory.

Old 12-16-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I haven't made any comments about measles. Direct your questions to the posters who have.

Correct, I am missing his point.
The point is: the gold standard for immunity that's being floated is to be current on your Covid shots, but the record of the Covid shots speaks for itself: 88.3% of your state has had at least one shot, many have had three or more shots, you have people wearing masks and doing all this other crap, and you still have Covid all over the place, so it is risible to continue to say that we can get past this if everyone takes their shots. Where is the straight line you can draw, using facts and logic, from our current situation to a measles-like resolution, where a bug inherently more contagious than Covid was controlled with most people taking a one-time set of two shots and without any mitigation efforts that wormed their way into daily life? It isn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts