Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 09:15 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,722,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
You truly believe you're all "paying the price" for the 11.7% of your state that hasn't taken one of these shots? Really? When much of that 11.7% is little kids, who hardly get sick from this? When Cornell University (not in your state, but an example of a place where almost everyone is vaccinated) is 97% vaccinated and sending kids home for break early because they have so many positive tests? Come on.

What percentage of people aren't vaccinated for measles? I assure you it's not zero. Do we "pay the price" for those people? If the answer to that is "generally, no," as I believe it is, isn't that because those shots work a hell of a lot better than the Covid shots?

Wow. Get defensive much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Just looked up Jacksonville Beach Florida.
They have even lower fully vaccinated rate than Bristol County, but only 6 cases per 100,000.
What gives?

Something isn’t adding up

A lot adds up. Look up the numbers for Jacksonville Beach vs. Bristol County this past August. Then ask yourself what times of year each location experiences more extreme weather. Then answer for yourself what Covid and these pandemics generally do as time moves on.

People really still not aware of this stuff?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:23 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
tribecavsbrowns, you continue to mention 88.3% when it's been clearly pointed out to you that only a small percentage of the 88.3% are up-to-date on their shots. That means that a large percentage of the 88.3% are currently getting little to no protection. That's why cases have gone up so much recently. The initial shots have worn off. And that's why I keep telling you 88.3% is meaningless at this point. It wasn't meaningless during the summer.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:30 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,980,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Wow. Get defensive much?
If I don't want to address the content of a post, I don't post at all. So when others don't abide by this standard and respond to well-thought-out posts just to say "you're deflecting" or "you're defensive," I push back. Again, I hope that you'll consider the cases I've made, but if not, I'm no longer interested in engaging with you.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
tribecavsbrowns, you continue to mention 88.3% when it's been clearly pointed out to you that only a small percentage of the 88.3% are up-to-date on their shots. That means that a large percentage of the 88.3% are currently getting little to no protection. That's why cases have gone up so much recently. The initial shots have worn off. And that's why I keep telling you 88.3% is meaningless at this point. It wasn't meaningless during the summer.
Are you sure these people were protected during the summer, or was it just a less Covid-friendly season, as Jacksonville Beach is having now? Kind of makes you think, doesn't it?

The vaccines work, except after more than six months, or without wearing a face covering, or in winter, or at Thanksgiving, or inside a crowded church service, etc. But yeah, they definitely work. I mean...really?

But I agree, you have a lot of people calling themselves "vaccinated" who have, as you put it, "little to no protection." So why are we treating these people differently from people who haven't taken any shots at all?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
If I don't want to address the content of a post, I don't post at all. So when others don't abide by this standard and respond to well-thought-out posts just to say "you're deflecting" or "you're defensive," I push back. Again, I hope that you'll consider the cases I've made, but if not, I'm no longer interested in engaging with you.

I already stated what concerns me, of which is how to best protect myself and those around me. Debating the effectiveness of Covid vs. Measles vaccines is totally irrelevant to that concern, when overwhelming evidence shows that me being up to date on my Moderna shots is an effective tool in the fight that's currently facing us. If you have any advice to offer me on how to stay healthy and minimize community spread here in Massachusetts, I'm all ears.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Are you sure these people were protected during the summer, or was it just a less Covid-friendly season, as Jacksonville Beach is having now? Kind of makes you think, doesn't it?

The vaccines work, except after more than six months, or without wearing a face covering, or in winter, or at Thanksgiving, or inside a crowded church service, etc. But yeah, they definitely work. I mean...really?

But I agree, you have a lot of people calling themselves "vaccinated" who have, as you put it, "little to no protection." So why are we treating these people differently from people who haven't taken any shots at all?

Because it's really no mystery that certain immunizations wear off over time, and there is overwhelming evidence showing greater levels of protection for the more recently inoculated/boosted vs. those over 6 months out.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I already stated what concerns me, of which is how to best protect myself and those around me. Debating the effectiveness of Covid vs. Measles vaccines is totally irrelevant to that concern, when overwhelming evidence shows that me being up to date on my Moderna shots is an effective tool in the fight that's currently facing us. If you have any advice to offer me on how to stay healthy and minimize community spread here in Massachusetts, I'm all ears.
I'm going to be honest and express moderate disagreement that it's an effective tool, but I empathize with your concerns and I'm not trying to take away the option for you to take more shots if that's what you want to do, especially since I have no idea what your risk level is biologically, or what type of pressures (work, family, etc.) you might be facing to get more shots. As far as minimizing community spread, I wouldn't do a thing differently from the flu -- stay home if you're sick. As far as how to stay healthy, let your eyes meet the sunlight each morning as early as possible, take the stairs wherever possible, laugh a lot, and keep your loved ones close. It's tough for everyone right now. I wish I had more to offer, but I feel my role here is to chime in when someone is trying to push a story that simply doesn't add up, and to explain why it doesn't add up.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Because it's really no mystery that certain immunizations wear off over time, and there is overwhelming evidence showing greater levels of protection for the more recently inoculated/boosted vs. those over 6 months out.
OK, but what is the end game then? I told my family several months ago that this seems headed toward a situation where you get a text from the government that says it's been x months since your last booster, you need to report to your local vaccine center within y days or we press a button and deactivate your driver's license. Responses were: that won't happen, you're crazy, etc. At this point, can it really be said, with a reasonable degree of confidence, that I was off base?

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 12-16-2021 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-16-2021, 10:09 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
A lot adds up. Look up the numbers for Jacksonville Beach vs. Bristol County this past August. Then ask yourself what times of year each location experiences more extreme weather. Then answer for yourself what Covid and these pandemics generally do as time moves on.

People really still not aware of this stuff?
Yes, we are.
Just wanted to hear it from you.
Was trying to make a point

While all the discussions about vaccines and masks will someone please fix our ventilation rates in public spaces and schools?

Aren’t we a superpower? Where are our super powers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts