Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2021, 12:38 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Everyone knows by now that the shots wear off and you need the booster.
The problem is that everyone doesn’t know this. Some that do know it are in somewhat understandable denial as they were told being double vaccinated was the gold standard and would stop transmission. Not saying I agree with it, but I’m certainly not surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 12:47 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/16/healt...red/index.html

Saw this in the news yesterday about how J&J is no longer recommended if Moderna/Pfizer are available.

I'm a woman under 50 who got the J&J vaccine and I definitely took the blood clotting data into account.

I've also been very vocal about how I was hesitant to get a vaccine right away because a.) I had covid earlier in the year and had no symptoms (nor do I have long haul symptoms) so for me personally, a vaccine isn't going to keep me out of a hospital. I'm not at risk of having severe symptoms. and b.) I simply wanted MORE data about the vaccines. Yes, I wanted to follow science, but the lack of any long-term data made me uneasy.

Ultimately I got the vaccine because even though it doesn't stop COVID transmission, even if it reduces the chances of transmission that is a win.

I feel like I'm speaking for many of those who are still on the fence about vaccines (not the complete anti-vaxxers, those are a lost cause), but for those who are uneasy about the "newness" of the vaccine, this kind of news is what is unnerving. Are the chances of getting a blood clot still incredibly tiny? Yes. But nothing has changed about this vaccine OR the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines, yet new data is causing the CDC to change its recommendation. It leaves those who feel there isn't enough data thinking "well what else hasn't been uncovered if this info didn't come out in the trials?"
Well said. This is how I feel in terms of vaccinating my 5 and 7 yr old.

Old 12-17-2021, 12:53 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The problem is that everyone doesn’t know this. Some that do know it are in somewhat understandable denial as they were told being double vaccinated was the gold standard and would stop transmission. Not saying I agree with it, but I’m certainly not surprised.
They sure wore off pretty quickly for some. People who shots 6 months ago and a booster this past fall probably thought they were good and I don’t blame them. Don’t look down your nose at people who tried to do the right thing hoping they’d avoid getting sick.

The fact that shots wear off so quickly is perhaps why so many are choosing not to bother getting one at all especially when people are still getting covid when vaxxed.

We could debate this for years. If someone is immunocompromised then they should absolutely get the shots. I did my part by getting vaxxed and I’m getting boosted in a few days. Expecting everyone to get 7 shots a year (basically seems like you have to get two covid shots twice a year and two boosters to ensure they don’t wear off plus a flu shot) to ensure that someone else doesn’t get sick is going to get old for many.

This is all still so new so who knows what’s to come.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

We could debate this for years. If someone is immunocompromised then they should absolutely get the shots. I did my part by getting vaxxed and I’m getting boosted in a few days. Expecting everyone to get 7 shots a year (basically seems like you have to get two covid shots twice a year and two boosters to ensure they don’t wear off plus a flu shot) to ensure that someone else doesn’t get sick is going to get old for many.

Where does this proposal come from?

Two shots were the initial inoculation series. A two shot series, one time.

Then a booster every 6 mos or so. Eventually it may well be combined with other booster shots. A couple of shots a year, and probably not even that much over time, is hardly onerous.

That's 2, not 7.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:11 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
I did my part by getting vaxxed and I’m getting boosted in a few days. Expecting everyone to get 7 shots a year (basically seems like you have to get two covid shots twice a year and two boosters to ensure they don’t wear off plus a flu shot) to ensure that someone else doesn’t get sick is going to get old for many.

I've asked you this several times since the beginning of the pandemic, but I have to ask again:

Why do you think you're invincible?

Old 12-17-2021, 01:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 15,675,599 times
Quote:
They sure wore off pretty quickly for some. People who shots 6 months ago and a booster this past fall probably thought they were good and I don’t blame them. Don’t look down your nose at people who tried to do the right thing hoping they’d avoid getting sick.

The fact that shots wear off so quickly is perhaps why so many are choosing not to bother getting one at all especially when people are still getting covid when vaxxed.

This is all still so new so who knows what’s to come.
My youngest daughter (26) and her husband got their vaccines in April/May last year. At the end of July, start of August they both had Covid. He caught it first and then she caught it from him. So that vax wasn't even good for 6 months.

I asked her last week if she was going to get the booster, but she doesn't see any point to it.

Today, I found out my nephew's wife has Covid. She had her booster a month ago.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:16 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I've asked you this several times since the beginning of the pandemic, but I have to ask again:

I don’t. Where did I say that ? To my knowledge I haven’t had covid. My husband has and pretty sure my dad did dad as well.

I’m guessing it’s cancer that takes me out.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:21 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
My youngest daughter (26) and her husband got their vaccines in April/May last year. At the end of July, start of August they both had Covid. He caught it first and then she caught it from him. So that vax wasn't even good for 6 months.

I asked her last week if she was going to get the booster, but she doesn't see any point to it.

Today, I found out my nephew's wife has Covid. She had her booster a month ago.
It’s frustrating. Even reading people’s responses on this forum is frustrating. Most people here seem to think the vaccine is the answer and science is their God. They criticize anyone who doesn’t get the vaccine or wear a mask but then when people who’ve had the vaccine and still got covid the answer is well yeah there was no guarantee. I at least have empathy towards people who got the vaccine and still got covid. They tried.

At this point it’s not really anyone’s business anymore who gets the vaccine or not. Apparently my job thinks it’s their business…but vaccinated or not you can still get it and spread it.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:36 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
I did my part by getting vaxxed and I’m getting boosted in a few days. Expecting everyone to get 7 shots a year (basically seems like you have to get two covid shots twice a year and two boosters to ensure they don’t wear off plus a flu shot) to ensure that someone else doesn’t get sick is going to get old for many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Quote:
I don’t. Where did I say that ? To my knowledge I haven’t had covid. My husband has and pretty sure my dad did dad as well.

I’m guessing it’s cancer that takes me out.

Well, you're clearly saying that the reason you got vaccinated was to protect others from getting sick. That implies that you don't believe that you would get sick from covid.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:39 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Where does this proposal come from?

Two shots were the initial inoculation series. A two shot series, one time.

Then a booster every 6 mos or so. Eventually it may well be combined with other booster shots. A couple of shots a year, and probably not even that much over time, is hardly onerous.

That's 2, not 7.
Unless it ends up being seven. It's very obvious that you don't have any idea. No one here buys that you have any idea. You're talking just to talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts