Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2021, 05:39 AM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Here's another counter to that. A reassuring quote from the article below. Boost now, everyone!

One bit of good news: studies have suggested booster doses can, at least for a time, elicit such sky-high levels of antibody that they can broadly withstand a mutated virus, even if the antibodies aren’t targeting the specific viral proteins as well.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/11/26/...-south-africa/
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That's some serious looking for a silver lining.

When you combine the stock market, the quickness with implementing travel restrictions, and scientists scrambling to hold emergency meetings...this looks bad.
Quote:
What's the alternative? There is no appetite for even a regional, let alone a national, lockdown.

The alternative is honestly assessing the situation. Minimizing it is misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 06:09 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
The alternative is honestly assessing the situation. Minimizing it is misleading.
Which is what is happening. There isn’t enough data on the latest B.1.1.529 virus variant yet. We know that in South Africa, it is impacting younger people who largely aren’t vaccinated. Only 25% of 18 to 34 in South Africa are vaccinated.

Old 11-27-2021, 09:18 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Canada requires a molecular test. Down here in the third world of West Portugal where nobody travels, we have to drive 45 minutes to get a same day PCR test at a CVS. From personal experience, Quest Diagnosics PCR tests often don’t come back in time for your flight so you get shaken down $250 for a 1 hour test at Logan. Even the CVS 4 hour turnaround test is pretty expensive.
Why even pay? I mean, maybe MA is very different, but I doubt it, but in RI almost all our PCR tests are back in less than 48 hrs. Generally I've gotten mine in 24-28 hrs from the free testing sites.

Old 11-27-2021, 11:18 AM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Which is what is happening. There isn’t enough data on the latest B.1.1.529 virus variant yet. We know that in South Africa, it is impacting younger people who largely aren’t vaccinated. Only 25% of 18 to 34 in South Africa are vaccinated.

There's a lot more known than that. Did you not see the statement from Moderna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
""The recently described Omicron variant includes mutations seen in the Delta variant that are believed to increase transmissibility and mutations seen in the Beta and Delta variants that are believed to promote immune escape," Moderna said Friday in a news release.
"The combination of mutations represents a significant potential risk to accelerate the waning of natural and vaccine-induced immunity," the company said."

Old 11-27-2021, 11:56 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
There's a lot more known than that. Did you not see the statement from Moderna?
Sure. They said there’s risk and they’re testing to collect the data. They did not say the Moderna vaccine doesn’t work against B.1.1.529. They said that if it’s a problem, they’re testing 3 different boosters and could have a 529-specific booster ready for the approvals cycle in 100 days. Pfizer has said pretty much the same thing.

Recall that much of this also went on with Delta.

Worst case, I continue to wear my N95 masks indoors and get the fast tracked booster in another 4 months or so on my regular 6 month booster cycle.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:00 PM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
I know. I have close friends there. But if they act fast...it's not a good sign.
To follow up on this. Boris Johnson just gave a speech. They are re-imposing mask mandates in stores and in addition to their travel ban, anyone coming into the country from anywhere has to quarantine while taking a PCR test a couple of days after arrival. This is the UK, not the most cautious of nations in regards to covid.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:38 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
I'm confused by your comment. rach said people went from South Africa to the Netherlands. What's stopping those people from going from the Netherlands to the US?
They'd have to observe Netherlands entry requirements first, for one thing. Then the US would require them to get a negative PCR result before flying to the US.

If they're just connecting in Amsterdam, but their trip originated in one of the restricted countries, the US restriction would forbid them.

Old 11-27-2021, 12:46 PM

Perhaps the most balanced advice so far!

“We’ll know more in coming days to weeks,” Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, wrote on Twitter. “There will be those who will spread fear ― and those who downplay it. Please ignore both groups.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/11/...-overreaction/

Old 11-27-2021, 01:19 PM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Perhaps the most balanced advice so far!

“We’ll know more in coming days to weeks,” Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, wrote on Twitter. “There will be those who will spread fear ― and those who downplay it. Please ignore both groups.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/11/...-overreaction/
I don't think re-imposing mask mandates and forcing people (not just foreigners) who travel into the country from high risk regions to quarantine and do PCR tests is an overreaction. Especially when we already have so much covid around and we have just entered the holiday season. Note that in his article, Jha makes no mention of anything but research and vaccines. No PPE, reduction of social contacts etc. - all measures that we know work and that our ER twitter stars like Megan Ranney are twittering about again. AND they would help our already strained health care system even if Omicron turned out to be a false alarm. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/24/u...nor-baker.html
The reason *I* am alarmed is not primarily because of Omicron (which is quite worrisome in itself), but because I know the US will not act accordingly until it is far too late, as usual.
In the meantime some information about symptoms of Omicron in the healthy young (very small elderly pop in South Africa). https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...says-symptoms/

Old 11-27-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
In the meantime some information about symptoms of Omicron in the healthy young (very small elderly pop in South Africa). https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...says-symptoms/
If the symptoms are elevated heartbeat and fatigue with the Omicron variant, I think we're getting off relatively easy. Keeping fingers crossed. Of course, the vulnerable populations are naturally going to be at most risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts