Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2021, 10:46 AM

199 posts, read 67,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Two natural follow-up questions:

1) Given that there have been 48,000 confirmed positive tests in vaccinated people, and given that not every infection is confirmed by a positive test, what is the best cumulative estimate of infections in vaccinated people in Massachusetts?

2) Again, keeping in mind that not every infection is confirmed by a positive test, what is the best estimate of total infections (vaccinated + unvaccinated) in Massachusetts since vaccines became available?
MA has been reporting the number of breakthrough cases and deaths since July 24th.

Using this data and comparing it to the total MA numbers over the same period, the relative reduction in cases is 7.4X and deaths is 7.5X for the vaccinated vs the unvaccinated.

As this is the total non-age adjusted number the actual reduction is likely higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 10:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Two natural follow-up questions:

1) Given that there have been 48,000 confirmed positive tests in vaccinated people, and given that not every infection is confirmed by a positive test, what is the best cumulative estimate of infections in vaccinated people in Massachusetts?

2) Again, keeping in mind that not every infection is confirmed by a positive test, what is the best estimate of total infections (vaccinated + unvaccinated) in Massachusetts since vaccines became available?

The data are that you're 6x more likely to be hospitalized and 13x more likely to die if you're not vaccinated. The CDC also says that if you're unvaccinated and have been infected previously, you're 5x more likely to be hospitalized than if you are vaccinated.

Keep asking your Fox News spin questions that deflect from the facts that matter. We'll keep laughing at you.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:05 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,223,904 times
You can keep laughing all you want but I don’t know what’s so funny about it. Regardless of what your data shows people have gotten covid while being vaccinated and some unvaccinated folks have never had it.

I’ve been vaccinated and that’s really all that matters to me at this point. Others have had their opportunities to get vaccinated, if they chose not to then that’s on them. I hope they don’t die from this…but for many it will just be like having a cold if they get it.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:12 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,223,904 times
There are people out there also suffering from anxiety issues who maybe can’t bear the thought of this vaccine since it’s so new and I respect that. They’re wrong but it’s their illness getting in their way of rationale. It’s unkind to laugh and act like a big shot behind your computer with all your data and stats.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:26 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
This is not a joking matter. Take a look at the stock market.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The breadth of subjects on which you are confidently ignorant is quite impressive. The stock market needed an excuse for a day like today. This was well telegraphed, valuations are absurd, the rubber band from the DMAs was stretched too far, # of new lows increasing. No, this time wasn't different. The catalyst could have been inflation, China, etc., etc. Nu is good enough for the sheeple though. The only thing that remains to be seen is if this is the beginning of a more meaningful correction or simply another buying opportunity.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:04 PM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I think you don't give Fauci (and the NIH community) enough credit, or maybe are unsure of how this works. The gene sequencing has already been shared, and we should have at least a theoretical view of how the vaccines should perform without waiting for anyone to die.
According to Biontech, they will have information about vaccine effectiveness against the new variant in two weeks (!!) at the latest. By the time we know if a travel ban is an "informed decision", as Fauci calls it, it will already be far too late for any such measures (and surely the variant is already here in the US anyway). My point is the EU and many other countries have already reacted. The US...crickets. If it turns out the vaccines work - a travel ban or hotel quarantine or testing requirements can be reversed (in some other countries, everybody who has arrived from that part of the world within the past 10 days is told to get a PCR test and stay at home with their household members until cleared!).
I personally don't even think a travel ban in and of itself will do much - all it does it buys some time. And the US has shown over and over and over again that our pandemic response sucks and we ignore what happens in the rest of the world.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:06 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YevTK View Post
MA has been reporting the number of breakthrough cases and deaths since July 24th.

Using this data and comparing it to the total MA numbers over the same period, the relative reduction in cases is 7.4X and deaths is 7.5X for the vaccinated vs the unvaccinated.

As this is the total non-age adjusted number the actual reduction is likely higher.
Thanks for the guidance. Sounds plausible to me based on how I've looked at the numbers so far. Only feedback I would add is it doesn't account for differences in testing levels in the vaccinated vs. unvaccinated population (I think at this point, the actual-infection-to-confirmed-case ratios are probably quite different between the two populations -- I'm not sure how to quantify this, but maybe you have an idea).

Old 11-26-2021, 12:08 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
The breadth of subjects on which you are confidently ignorant is quite impressive. The stock market needed an excuse for a day like today. This was well telegraphed, valuations are absurd, the rubber band from the DMAs was stretched too far, # of new lows increasing. No, this time wasn't different. The catalyst could have been inflation, China, etc., etc. Nu is good enough for the sheeple though. The only thing that remains to be seen is if this is the beginning of a more meaningful correction or simply another buying opportunity.
You continue to embarrass yourself.

CNN: Dow logs worst day in over a year as fears over new Covid-19 variant grip global markets

NBC News: Dow closes down 900 points as new Covid variant sparks market sell-off

Wall Street Journal: Stocks, Oil Drop Sharply on Concerns Over New Covid-19 Variant

AP News: Stocks sink on new COVID variant; Dow loses 905 points

CNBC: Dow tumbles 900 points for worst day of year on fears of new Covid variant, S&P 500 drops 2%

Old 11-26-2021, 12:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
The Dow was 29,400 in February 2020 before the COVID-19 plunge. It’s 34,900 now after a small market correction. Anyone in the market has done quite well in the COVID-19 era. We’ve had 13 or 14 years of endless stimulus with big deficits and artificially low interest rates. We could very well have a market collapse and I’m the world’s worst at predicting it but I think it’s unlikely that COVID-19 will be the root cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts