Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 10:30 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I just spewed coffee on my keyboard.
What, you mean the C-D forum that touts conspiracies about the vaccine killing tens of thousands (and the subsequent government coverup), actively entertains Q-Anon nuttiness, 9/11 Truther conspiracies, Parkland "False Flag" conspiracies and a whole lot more probably isn't a good indicator of the average American's way of thinking? Color me shocked.

That forum is full of the absolute most extreme and off-the-wall ideologies out there. If you find that your thinking aligns with most/all of what people are saying there, you should do some serious self-reflection. It's far beyond the typical political divide and debates... it's absolutely insane stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 11:30 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
What, you mean the C-D forum that touts conspiracies about the vaccine killing tens of thousands (and the subsequent government coverup), actively entertains Q-Anon nuttiness, 9/11 Truther conspiracies, Parkland "False Flag" conspiracies and a whole lot more probably isn't a good indicator of the average American's way of thinking? Color me shocked.

That forum is full of the absolute most extreme and off-the-wall ideologies out there. If you find that your thinking aligns with most/all of what people are saying there, you should do some serious self-reflection. It's far beyond the typical political divide and debates... it's absolutely insane stuff.
would you ever entertain the thought one thing they say might be true? some of those people with those ideologies have predicted what will happen not because they are psychic but because the dots are easy to connect. if you said 5 years ago that vaccine passports would be a thing you would have said its a conspiracy.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:35 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
would you ever entertain the thought one thing they say might be true? some of those people with those ideologies have predicted what will happen not because they are psychic but because the dots are easy to connect. if you said 5 years ago that vaccine passports would be a thing you would have said its a conspiracy.
No, I really wouldn't. The theories bandied about in that forum are so far on the extreme end of the spectrum that they aren't worth listening to. It's too much work to try to weed out the occasional shred of truth in the mountain of crazy there. The dots are "easy to connect" because the people doing the connecting have already made up their minds while simultaneously ignoring the vast majority of available information which contradicts their preconceived notions (usually by labeling it "mainstream media!" "deep state!" "sheep!"). It's the same mindset that can make someone join a predatory cult or believe everything a psychic has told them is the truth.

Who would have said that about vaccine passports? Vaccines have long been a requirement for various aspects of life. There are other instances of vaccines being required during pandemics and epidemics. The idea that proof of said vaccine would be necessary is neither new or unique to COVID. But of course, a conspiracy nut will ignore that fact because it doesn't support what they've already determined to be true.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:39 PM

432 posts, read 415,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
If you said 5 years ago that vaccine passports were a thing you would have been talking about yellow fever.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:10 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
So, it finally happened. My department at work has been very flexible about letting us stay at home. Despite the overall company's stated policy that it's up to our management and despite that we've been more productive than ever through the pandemic, neighboring departments that require more in-person time have complained all the way up the chain that most of us are only working in the office 1-2 days a week.

So now we're being told that within a month, we need to transition to working in the office full time even though most of our jobs can be done 100% from home. Of course the expectation is that we'll still pump out as much productivity, despite trading in an hour or two more work a day for a commute.

I've lost two finalists for open positions we're having a hard time hiring despite great benefits and a decent salary as a result, and suspect that more people will be leaving. I certainly have abandoned my plan to stay for one more year.

Anyone else seeing abrupt changes in their office return to work plans?

Old 10-13-2021, 01:15 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So, it finally happened. My department at work has been very flexible about letting us stay at home. Despite the overall company's stated policy that it's up to our management and despite that we've been more productive than ever through the pandemic, neighboring departments that require more in-person time have complained all the way up the chain that most of us are only working in the office 1-2 days a week.

So now we're being told that within a month, we need to transition to working in the office full time even though most of our jobs can be done 100% from home. Of course the expectation is that we'll still pump out as much productivity, despite trading in an hour or two more work a day for a commute.

I've lost two finalists for open positions we're having a hard time hiring despite great benefits and a decent salary as a result, and suspect that more people will be leaving. I certainly have abandoned my plan to stay for one more year.

We were told January we'd be returning on a hybrid model of 1-2 times a week. No abrupt changes.

If we are told to come back 5 days a week in person I will likely leave.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:54 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

No changes here, but my employer was up-front from the start that return to 5 days in the office was going to happen for most employees. Those who thought they'd change their mind (or would be one of the few) and moved during the shutdown have since tendered resignations. There's no shortage of candidates to replace them.

I'm predicting those in my field who are making WFH a priority will lock up a job somewhere in the next year before the wave of WFH-friendly jobs wanes, and everyone else will be business as usual.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:02 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,532 times
We'll see how that plays out. There are "help wanted" signs all over the place, so evidently it's workers who can be demanding about conditions.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:13 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
We'll see how that plays out. There are "help wanted" signs all over the place, so evidently it's workers who can be demanding about conditions.
I'm not so sure this is happening at corporate offices as much...but forcing people to return 5 days a week feels kind of bad when so many others are being flexible.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:26 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,323,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not so sure this is happening at corporate offices as much...but forcing people to return 5 days a week feels kind of bad when so many others are being flexible.
Correct. These aren't for entry-level positions that people walk in and apply for.

An interesting segue-way from this is that I am hearing more about people who did work in walk-in/entry-level positions playing the current market to try to get in a higher-paying or experience-required position that they previously wouldn't have stood a chance at getting. They're still largely not getting them, but these people do at least feel emboldened to try more than pre-pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts