Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2021, 09:57 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right. I just know there was not this fear of unvaccinated or sick people pre-covid. I recall being deathly ill from a stomach virus two years in a row pre covid that my kids picked up at school and it was hellish. I remember thinking whoever gave this to me and my kids is an A-hole! lol. But seriously it wasn't kosher to think like that pre-covid but now people want to know who to avoid in terms of being vaccinated/un-vaccinated. Where was everyone trying to avoid these horrible stomach viruses and not wanting to be around anyone who had one? Ugh.

Because obviously far more people are willing to gamble with a flu or stomach virus than Covid, which did not exist then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 10:05 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Because obviously far more people are willing to gamble with a flu or stomach virus than Covid, which did not exist then.
The flu is more dangerous for kids. Lots of people die from the flu. It's the propaganda on the tv which got people worried. If they talked about the flu 24/7 people would worry about that just as much. You could get hit by a bus tommorow or get terminal cancer . Death is apart of life.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:07 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
After what I experienced (and I hadn't had a stomach bug since elementary school) I do not want to gamble with a stomach bug either. It felt like it was the flu as i could barely move, muscle aches and vomiting. I also had my nursing toddler who had the same bug who i couldn't peel off of me. Most healthy people who get covid have cold symptoms or none. Notice I said most. I don't want to get Covid either but sounds better than whatever i had. And I get a flu shot every year.

I think this will be the problem with Covid for a long time to come...people see the extreme cases and fear that is what will happen to them. Then there will be the people who may not mind getting covid to the point of not living life even though they're vaccinated. I think the people who are deathly afraid will just have to avoid large events or not have kids lol.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:51 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
After what I experienced (and I hadn't had a stomach bug since elementary school) I do not want to gamble with a stomach bug either. It felt like it was the flu as i could barely move, muscle aches and vomiting. I also had my nursing toddler who had the same bug who i couldn't peel off of me. Most healthy people who get covid have cold symptoms or none. Notice I said most. I don't want to get Covid either but sounds better than whatever i had. And I get a flu shot every year.

I think this will be the problem with Covid for a long time to come...people see the extreme cases and fear that is what will happen to them. Then there will be the people who may not mind getting covid to the point of not living life even though they're vaccinated. I think the people who are deathly afraid will just have to avoid large events or not have kids lol.
I had a stomach flu when I was about 38 weeks pregnant and also had a toddler and it was completely miserable. I'd vomit, which must have scared the baby, so she'd kick and make it worse. Naturally my toddler also got the stomach flu right after the baby was born so had the nursing newborn and sick toddler combo happening. Given that I did not even spike a fever when I had Covid, I would take Covid over a stomach flu every single day of the week. If I could guarantee it wouldn't spread and kill somebody.

I know hundreds of kids died in the U.S. each year from the flu, but I think because it was something we had all lived with all of our lives, we accepted that risk. We got our flu shots (though not required), kept our kids home when sick and hoped other parents did the same. Obviously covid is new and more deadly--for adults--so I completely understand that it's not the same. When there were no vaccines, it was especially new and scary. Now we have the vaccines, but the virus is still spreading among the vaccinated and we aren't sure how long the vaccinations last, so it doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. I think for some (especially vaccinated), the level of fear has decreased and for some (even vaccinated), it has not.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:57 AM

Well we're on the same page then that i might prefer my household get Covid than a stomach bug. Next to dying or getting an incurable disease vomiting and dealing with others vomiting is the worst.

Why is there no vaccine for norovirus? ugh.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:02 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Well we're on the same page then that i might prefer my household get Covid than a stomach bug. Next to dying or getting an incurable disease vomiting and dealing with others vomiting is the worst.

Why is there no vaccine for norovirus? ugh.
You bring up an interesting point. Were we to have a pandemic with symptoms like a stomach "flu" that didn't just go away after 24 hrs, but as contagious as Covid, I wonder if folks (not us on this forum) would have acted differently?

Old 09-15-2021, 11:05 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Right, your house, your rules. My in-laws have decided not to get vaccinated and we had the whole conversation about how if they die, it's on them, and they said "yup, don't feel compelled to get vaccinated on our behalf, we're ok with risk".

I think if you are vaccinated and still afraid to be around the unvaxxed, you may need to stay home forever.
I'm not one of those. I've been traveling extensively since April (by air and car)...have been to Ohio, Texas, and California...and closer by, to NY, NH, & Maine. But honestly, I've been consistent in avoiding indoor settings where I'm close to unmasked, unvaxxed people. Everyone has their risk tolerance...that's where my line's drawn.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:14 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You bring up an interesting point. Were we to have a pandemic with symptoms like a stomach "flu" that didn't just go away after 24 hrs, but as contagious as Covid, I wonder if folks (not us on this forum) would have acted differently?
yes I think if covid caused vomiting and ebola like symptoms there would have been more hysteria than there already was.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:16 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm not one of those. I've been traveling extensively since April (by air and car)...have been to Ohio, Texas, and California...and closer by, to NY, NH, & Maine. But honestly, I've been consistent in avoiding indoor settings where I'm close to unmasked, unvaxxed people. Everyone has their risk tolerance...that's where my line's drawn.
I have honestly not had much fear at all of being around people on planes, outdoors, and in restaurants since about April/May. The one time I felt uncomfortable was a few weeks ago at the Wilbur Theater. We were there for a show on the last night before the indoor masks mandates went back into effect. That space was crowded, hot, and cramped with people without masks. We were at Gillette on Sunday - zero issue with that. But I don't think I'd pack myself into the Wilbur (or some place similar) where everyone is maskless again for a bit. That's my personal level of tolerance.

On the other hand, we're going to visit my fiancee's parents this weekend (both of whom are vaccinated), and we just got COVID tested first. They're older, have some other health issues, and they're not comfortable with crowds like we experienced last weekend - a different tolerance for risk.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:24 AM

I have always been on alert if someone in my space is coughing or sneezing or blowing their nose. I get that sometimes you can't help it but it's always kind of bothered me if someone can't go into a bathroom to blow their nose. My feelings on that obviously haven't changed. I'm also aware people have allergies but unfortunately if they're severe those people should avoid crowded places or else they will **** people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts