Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2023, 08:36 PM

959 posts, read 540,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I still see people wear masks. in the car alone in the supermarket and public transit when i wanted to avoid driving in Boston because of the summer tunnel fiasco.

i don't get coronavirus but if i went on a cruise I bet I would be the first to get norovirus any sickness with blowing ass I will get. in fact I have gotten norovirus you puke and get diarrhea at the same time. Immodium has saved me many times. though I'm lucky i don't have crohns or ibs knock on wood. you gain weight on cruises too many food temptations. i have heard of people gaining discusting amount of weight. i just lost 9 pounds in two weeks becoming a food nazi. no cruises for me any time soon.
I got Noro in March on cruise ship out of Baltimore. It was the first in 55+ cruises. I didn’t puke at all, but I didn’t want to eat at all and had severe dehydration and from time to time slept lethargically. My skin looked like I was 80.. for a day.

I’ve heard that Noro was mostly on ships from Northeast .. and Noro pandemic started in NJ.

Also as much as Covid measures on ships were not fun.. one thing that really worked (not sure it was working for Covid particularly) was .. mandatory washing hands and crew handling food in buffets. There was no Noro in 2021 and 2022 on ships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 04:42 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
COVID on the rise again.

New variant EG.5 aka Eris.

What to know about Eris, the new COVID-19 subvariant sweeping the US

Old 08-10-2023, 07:12 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
COVID on the rise again.

From what I’ve read, while the contagion is high, the morbidity is extremely low. Will ever strain of the common cold attract this kind of attention?

Last edited by jbgusa; 08-10-2023 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 07:31 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
COVID on the rise again.

Don't worry. Just mask up till October, when the new vaccines that target this strain will be available.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:26 PM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Don't worry. Just mask up till October, when the new vaccines that target this strain will be available.
It doesn't target Eris, but an earlier, still fairly closely related, variant of Omicron. By the time the new vaccine is available, Eris will have peaked and we will be off to yet another, probably less closely related, variant. Also note that Pfizer was able to ship the new vaccine a couple of months ago...so it is our government who is limiting access to shots. Mrna was supposed to be able to adjust to new variants quickly - but they (our governments) are on purpose dragging it out and limiting most of us to one shot a year with a, by then, outdated vaccine.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:59 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
It doesn't target Eris, but an earlier, still fairly closely related, variant of Omicron. By the time the new vaccine is available, Eris will have peaked and we will be off to yet another, probably less closely related, variant. Also note that Pfizer was able to ship the new vaccine a couple of months ago...so it is our government who is limiting access to shots. Mrna was supposed to be able to adjust to new variants quickly - but they (our governments) are on purpose dragging it out and limiting most of us to one shot a year with a, by then, outdated vaccine.
It's still a better match for the current variant than last year's booster. You're never going to be able to hit it "right on" in terms of vaccine rollouts and variants.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:

It depends on your age. In my new geezer-dom, I imagine I'll be on a 6 month boost cycle indefinitely since the vaccine loses efficacy fairly quickly. The data is still pretty strong that a recent vaccination keeps you out of the hospital.

I'd rather the FDA err on the side of safety. That's the whole point of the approvals cycle.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:44 PM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'd rather the FDA err on the side of safety. That's the whole point of the approvals cycle.
Sometimes the result of that is a successful drug and a lot of dead patients.

Old 08-12-2023, 11:43 AM

943 posts, read 410,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It depends on your age. In my new geezer-dom, I imagine I'll be on a 6 month boost cycle indefinitely since the vaccine loses efficacy fairly quickly. The data is still pretty strong that a recent vaccination keeps you out of the hospital.

You forget that the reason they most likely are dragging their feet is not safety, but to sell the idea of a yearly booster, to be offered in time for "cold and flu season". Pfizer quite literally said they had the stock of the new booster to ship when the FDA had its meeting months ago. And if they want most people to only get one shot, they can't possibly release two different shots per year (which mRNA tech would definitely make possible), because people would (rightly) be complaining if they can only get one shot. Also, one shot is not enough for anyone - but they want to sell the idea that "healthy" people only need one shot like the flu shot. I suspect they think that otherwise nobody will want to get a shot if they are told they need two a year, since covid is circulating year round unlike the flu.

Old 08-12-2023, 12:51 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
You forget that the reason they most likely are dragging their feet is not safety, but to sell the idea of a yearly booster, to be offered in time for "cold and flu season". Pfizer quite literally said they had the stock of the new booster to ship when the FDA had its meeting months ago. And if they want most people to only get one shot, they can't possibly release two different shots per year (which mRNA tech would definitely make possible), because people would (rightly) be complaining if they can only get one shot. Also, one shot is not enough for anyone - but they want to sell the idea that "healthy" people only need one shot like the flu shot. I suspect they think that otherwise nobody will want to get a shot if they are told they need two a year, since covid is circulating year round unlike the flu.
This makes absolutely no sense at all. The number of boosters recommended will be based on when the effectiveness of the current vaccine drops. There is no "they" that only want most people to get only one shot. If more than one booster per year is cost effective by reducing severe disease, hospitalization, and death, then more than one will be recommended.

Flu does circulate year round. The incidence is just lower in the warmer months.

Covid is already demonstrating seasonality.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...0of%20seasonal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts