Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2023, 01:43 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

I had to go to work lunch today. It was a group lunch, some people I'd never met before. An intern who is in college, sat there at the table, ate pizza, chatted for about an hour with everyone else. When we all got up to leave and go outside they put on a mask. Why? You sat there and probably ate pizza covered with everyone's germs and talked...then put on a mask when the lunch was over and we went outside? Makes no sense. Please don't say wildfires, the air was fine where we were. It's bizarre. Many people have become bizarre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2023, 02:27 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This is such a bizarre take to me. Have folks never been around a cancer patient, for instance? I had to wear a mask way back in 2011 whenever I went out in public. Masks are nothing new.

If folks find it weird then, well, that kind of justifies my contempt at the height of the pandemic. It demonstrates such a lack of understanding of other folks' realities and health concerns.
Again, masks are nothing new. About three years ago there was a large rift in the country where one group equated anything short of staying in your house completely masked at all times as tantamount to genocide and the other group considered COVID a completely fabricated hoax brought on by some sinister shadow government.

We are still living with the polarization. It is perfectly reasonable to wear a mask, even in situations where the benefit is provably negligible. It is also not surprising that some people will be reminded of those who went around making wildly outrageous claims about those not wearing masks and have a negative association with those wearing masks. Even if many of those people wearing masks today aren't the same who participated in the overzealous COVID shaming of 2020 and 2021.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:54 PM

There are occasions where people have masks on that they look foolish...or like yeah that's not doing anything to help you after you just sat inches from multiple people eating, drinking and talking to them.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:56 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There are occasions where people have masks on that they look foolish...or like yeah that's not doing anything to help you after you just sat inches from multiple people eating, drinking and talking to them.
Absolutely. But ultimately, who cares? Who does it hurt?

Old 06-07-2023, 02:59 PM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
People think it is a carryover from the "shaming" days.

Old 06-07-2023, 03:10 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It hurts no one. It's kind of like someone wearing sunglasses indoors. It looks strange and it might even annoy people.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:16 PM

1,044 posts, read 688,004 times
I wouldn't say that that a person needlessly wearing a mask doesn't affect other people.

For example, here in Malaysia, many kids and adults are still wearing masks (more so than back in the US). I have a young daughter who sees these kids wearing them, and one day she might want to wear one to follow this "trend", despite the fact that they do little or nothing to protect her.

And as human beings, we are sociable. We need to see each other's faces in order to have deep, meaningful conversations. Even without covid, I've always struggled to have conversations with Muslim women wearing Burqas or Niqabs (both cover the mouth and sometimes entire face...not to be confused with a hijab that only covers hair). When I talk to someone face to face, seeing their facial expressions are a part of communication. If we can't see their expressions, we might as well talk to them over the phone because we've lost a valuable part of communication.

And much like the Burqa, I think it dehumanizes us.

That being said, my father needed to wear a mask years before covid because of his cancer treatments. And I understand why some people are not willing to get rid of them. Still, as a society, we should be helping people to understand that in most cases, masks are not necessary. We need to teach people to be humans again.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:23 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I wouldn't say that that a person needlessly wearing a mask doesn't affect other people.

For example, here in Malaysia, many kids and adults are still wearing masks (more so than back in the US). I have a young daughter who sees these kids wearing them, and one day she might want to wear one to follow this "trend", despite the fact that they do little or nothing to protect her.

And as human beings, we are sociable. We need to see each other's faces in order to have deep, meaningful conversations. Even without covid, I've always struggled to have conversations with Muslim women wearing Burqas or Niqabs (both cover the mouth and sometimes entire face...not to be confused with a hijab that only covers hair).
^But isn't that the point of the these coverings? Precisely to shield Muslim women from male attention?

Old 06-07-2023, 07:33 PM

1,044 posts, read 688,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
^But isn't that the point of the these coverings? Precisely to shield Muslim women from male attention?
Yeah, and it dehumanizes them in the process.

(I should have written in my original comment that they cover the mouth AND nose, and sometimes rest of the face).

Old 06-07-2023, 08:00 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Yeah, and it dehumanizes them in the process.

(I should have written in my original comment that they cover the mouth AND nose, and sometimes rest of the face).
^I'm not a Muslim, and not defending the practice...but it seems like your wanting to converse (as a male, presumably) with Muslim women is precisely the type of unwanted interaction the covering is designed to head off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts