Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2023, 03:29 PM

943 posts, read 410,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This makes absolutely no sense at all. The number of boosters recommended will be based on when the effectiveness of the current vaccine drops. There is no "they" that only want most people to get only one shot. If more than one booster per year is cost effective by reducing severe disease, hospitalization, and death, then more than one will be recommended.

Flu does circulate year round. The incidence is just lower in the warmer months.

Covid is already demonstrating seasonality.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...0of%20seasonal
I suggest that you follow Eric Topol on twitter - he links a lot of the official studies. The bivalent booster was effective for a very short time period. For example: "Relative effectiveness of the bivalent vaccine at preventing hospitalization or death due to COVID-19 was 67.4% at 2 weeks after vaccination, then steadily declined to 38.4% at ≥20 weeks after vaccination."
https://www.jwatch.org/na56045/2023/...-covid-19-mrna
A lot of other studies also quietly changed the story from the vaccine providing protection against hospitalization and death to protection against critical illness (as in ICU admission - not hospitalization) and death. You can also watch the loooong video (8hrs?) from the FDA meeting a couple of months ago.

Flu season circulates at very low levels outside of flu season here (some areas of the world, like Hong Kong, actually do have two distinct flu seasons). Covid still has multiple waves per year (albeit with a more significant spike in winter), and often circulates at high rates outside of the waves (2022 was particularly bad - it remains to be seen what happens with the current summer wave, and how it will merge into a fall and then winter spike). Just look at wastewater (and trim the insane 2021/22 winter Omicron spike to be able to appreciate the waves!).

So all this to say - it would not be surprising that a covid boosting schedule does not follow a flu boosting schedule given the very different behavior. The frequent re-infections and the complications from long covid would also suggest that a focus on speedy development of better vaccines (or at least exploiting the current mRNA technology to pivot to the latest variant more quickly) would be worthwhile. But there is no funding for this.

I am hypothesizing that they (our governments) are limiting access to boosters in an attempt to increase uptake (requiring multiple boosters may turn people off from getting vaccinated altogether). I don't have evidence on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2023, 07:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
I suggest that you follow Eric Topol on twitter - he links a lot of the official studies. The bivalent booster was effective for a very short time period. For example: "Relative effectiveness of the bivalent vaccine at preventing hospitalization or death due to COVID-19 was 67.4% at 2 weeks after vaccination, then steadily declined to 38.4% at ≥20 weeks after vaccination."
https://www.jwatch.org/na56045/2023/...-covid-19-mrna
A lot of other studies also quietly changed the story from the vaccine providing protection against hospitalization and death to protection against critical illness (as in ICU admission - not hospitalization) and death. You can also watch the loooong video (8hrs?) from the FDA meeting a couple of months ago.

Flu season circulates at very low levels outside of flu season here (some areas of the world, like Hong Kong, actually do have two distinct flu seasons). Covid still has multiple waves per year (albeit with a more significant spike in winter), and often circulates at high rates outside of the waves (2022 was particularly bad - it remains to be seen what happens with the current summer wave, and how it will merge into a fall and then winter spike). Just look at wastewater (and trim the insane 2021/22 winter Omicron spike to be able to appreciate the waves!).

So all this to say - it would not be surprising that a covid boosting schedule does not follow a flu boosting schedule given the very different behavior. The frequent re-infections and the complications from long covid would also suggest that a focus on speedy development of better vaccines (or at least exploiting the current mRNA technology to pivot to the latest variant more quickly) would be worthwhile. But there is no funding for this.

I am hypothesizing that they (our governments) are limiting access to boosters in an attempt to increase uptake (requiring multiple boosters may turn people off from getting vaccinated altogether). I don't have evidence on this.
Yes, the effectiveness of the vaccines wanes. Protection from previous infection wanes. The virus also evolves.

Decisions about boosters are complex, just like decisions concerning which viruses to include in the flu vaccine each year.

I see no evidence that "our governments" are "limiting access to boosters".

Old 08-13-2023, 06:10 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
The more complicated the process, the less people that will do it.

That applies to just about everything in life.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:00 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The more complicated the process, the less people that will do it.

That applies to just about everything in life.
Agree. That's why I think the "3-in-1" Covid/Flu/RSV vaccine at the same time every year, will be a winner. In terms of public health, acceptance / participation is as or more important than absolute effectiveness.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:01 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I noticed 3 people driving in cars while wearing masks this morning. Hadn't seen that in a while.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:07 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I noticed 3 people driving in cars while wearing masks this morning. Hadn't seen that in a while.
Perhaps they are at high risk.

They do know the proper way to use a mask.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...sk-article.pdf

"Don’t take your face mask on and off.
Once your mask is on, keep it on. Even if you are just getting back
in your car between errands, removing your mask can get it dirty
and allow potentially harmful particulates near your nose and
mouth when you put it on again."

Old 08-13-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I agree that's a bit inane, but who am I to question...

Old 08-19-2023, 07:09 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
The mask mandates and lockdowns will happen this fall. The first place will be on air travel. TSA agents and airline passengers will be required to wear masks. This is being predicted online from TSA whistle blowers . This post will prove it was predicted. It's all about control. Another reason it will allow mail in ballots for the election in 2024.they are talking about a new variant now. They are setting the stage.i first saw on Infowars a website many of you make fun of . Thier always will be a variant so they can use the excuse.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:11 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I agree that's a bit inane, but who am I to question...
Masks are coming back bow to the government. Stay at home you have no rights.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
The mask mandates and lockdowns will happen this fall. The first place will be on air travel. TSA agents and airline passengers will be required to wear masks. This is being predicted online from TSA whistle blowers . This post will prove it was predicted. It's all about control. Another reason it will allow mail in ballots for the election in 2024.they are talking about a new variant now. They are setting the stage.i first saw on Infowars a website many of you make fun of . Thier always will be a variant so they can use the excuse.
Most states already have / allow mail-in ballots by law, and exercised it again during the 2022 election. FYI the GOP is now encouraging their voters to use mail-ins/early voting also, as they realized that railing against it (as you are) ended up hurting them in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts