Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 01:36 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I agree that playing amateur psychologist online should be done sparingly. I don't agree with the second part of your post. If someone came on here and said that, I would say, "for what strange reason are you afraid you're going to sticking your fingers in an electrical socket? How does that supposed threat even get to the level in your head where you feel compelled to share the precautions you're taking against it?"

If there was some new fad going on where kids were sticking their fingers in electric sockets and posting it on TicTok (I know, but stranger things have happened), then I would absolutely share the risks involved in doing so (to the best knowledge available). I might even say "I will not stick my fingers in an electrical socket". Whichever logic or emotion motivates me to act that way, is irrelevant, inconclusive, and nobody here's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 06:43 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I never had desire to visit that state even before the pandemic so don't you worry.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:57 AM

12,384 posts, read 9,483,835 times
There is a clear upturn in nation-wide Covid-19 case rates. They are still relatively low compared to all time highs, but they've tripled in the past month. The increasing prevalence of the delta variant is believed to be the main factor in the increasing case rate. Only about half of Americans are fully vaccinated. Plot courtesy of NYT, and can be interacted with here:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...1&d=1626947794
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus in Massachusetts-daily-covid-19-cases-jul-22  

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-22-2021 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 07-22-2021, 09:11 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,809,353 times
Covid is starting to remind me of education. The amount of educational attainment in the northeast is pretty high, much higher than the national average. One time I told my girlfriend only 8% of the general public in the US has a masters degree. She thought I was lying. This has opened up other issues. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to argument that those with more education value health more. Poorer people smoke more and affluent exercise more etc.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:12 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Covid is starting to remind me of education. The amount of educational attainment in the northeast is pretty high, much higher than the national average. One time I told my girlfriend only 8% of the general public in the US has a masters degree. She thought I was lying. This has opened up other issues. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to argument that those with more education value health more. Poorer people smoke more and affluent exercise more etc.
For what it's worth even the Skoal-dip-using tradesmen on my men's league hockey team are fully vaccinated. Perhaps that's because even their Hudson/Marlborough High education is still superior than that of the average American, or possibly there's a cultural difference where they do not distrust the government or state-level politicians to the same degree as other regions of this country. Regardless, I've been pleasantly surprised that they've both A) avoided the toxic ethnonationalism of certain party, and B) fully embraced social distancing and vaccinations.

Conversely, the worst anti-vax types in my sphere continue to the low IQ, but well educated leftist moms who view anything and everything as a 'toxin' ... though their awful 'natural' wines appear to be exempt.

Not trying to be too political here, but in MA at least, I'm highly doubtful the anti-vax types are dominated by moderate Republicans buying into the latest Tucker trope. My anecdotal experience suggests there's no shortage highly educated, but vaguely spiritual/'crunchy' MA residents out there who maintain some rather, um, 'interesting' views on vaccines.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 07-22-2021 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-23-2021, 09:02 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Cambridge has issued a mask advisory?

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...cases/2438863/

Old 07-23-2021, 09:09 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:

Cambridge, huh? Must be because of the low vaccination rate, caused by low education level. LOL

Clown world.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:20 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,060 times
Quote:

Also worth noting

Gov. Charlie Baker, meanwhile, said Thursday he doesn’t plan to reimpose statewide restrictions. The Republican rescinded most of the state mandates at the start of the summer as Massachusetts has achieved one of the highest vaccination rates in the nation

Old 07-23-2021, 09:28 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I saw that Baker is not issuing masks again. Cambridge really marches to the beat of its own drum.

Old 07-23-2021, 09:43 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
in MA at least, I'm highly doubtful the anti-vax types are dominated by moderate Republicans buying into the latest Tucker trope. My anecdotal experience suggests there's no shortage highly educated, but vaguely spiritual/'crunchy' MA residents out there who maintain some rather, um, 'interesting' views on vaccines.

In the economic wasteland of the South Coast, I attribute the pathetic vaccination rate to education level. New Bedford is still at 42% fully vaccinated. 61% Biden, 37.2% Trump. 17% college educated adults. 25% don't even have high school diplomas. 36.8% don't speak English at home. I suspect the state did a heck of a lot more community outreach in the similar demographic places inside 495. In the early public vaccination days after they were done with nursing homes and health care workers, the closest place to get vaccinated was an hour away in Gillette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts