Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2020, 03:51 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Keep an eye on the number of cases. The percent positive doesn't mean much these days as the overwhelming majority being tested (and constantly retested) are healthy college kids. And yet the percent positive is the main consideration when making important decisions.
There's 2 metrics being looked at these days--one that discounts the number of repeat individuals being tested (e.g. college students). As I remember from ~2 weeks ago, the absolute metric still had MA at ~1% whereas removing the repeats had us at ~2.8%. It's reassuring that they're looking at both...I think Baker still has the 5% threshold in his head to take further action if needed.

As someone else remarked here, I can see rolling back indoor dining as cold weather approaches, as devastating as that may be to the restaurant industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 03:58 PM

943 posts, read 410,552 times
A lot of people (such as college students and employees are tested multiple times a day) - at least in RI, that keeps the percentages down. In RI there is also a push to do more asymptomatic testing. Hospitalizations have been increasing a lot, too, unfortunately, as have deaths. Wisconsin is running out of hospital beds, as are some countries in Europe that relaxed too much over the summer. Lockdowns are starting up back there: It was obvious that cases were increasing, but they didn't react fast enough until the situation was dire. I am afraid we will do the same. You have to react early - but nobody seems to have the willpower to do so.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:39 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I don't think people are going to stop going to restaurants unless they are closed down. I've done indoor dining as lately as last week and everytime i go I'm shocked to see the amount of elderly people in there as well.

Also what is up with the lines at places like Homegoods and Kohls? I went into Homegoods in marshfield today at 1:30pm and was baffled by the size of the line. It was as long as could be. I left. There was nothing I needed there that badly and I wouldn't have waited that long on a Saturday or Sunday. I would think the staff would be trying hard to get people out of the store as quickly as possible. Apparently the economy is doing well! People have money to spend.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:08 PM

943 posts, read 410,552 times
As a follow up to my last post: I just linked to this article on the RI forum - recent spike in cases in the middle aged and older people, following the surges in the young. As expected, but not good news. https://www.wpri.com/target-12/were-...varies-by-age/

Old 10-15-2020, 05:13 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
you have yet to provide any reliable data that shows colleges as a source of increasing case numbers.
Wake up and smell the bacon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Fm1q41kHc

Old 10-15-2020, 07:09 PM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Wake up and smell the bacon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Fm1q41kHc
LOL - I like it! Just what we needed in these difficult times!

Old 10-15-2020, 07:15 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
As a follow up to my last post: I just linked to this article on the RI forum - recent spike in cases in the middle aged and older people, following the surges in the young. As expected, but not good news. https://www.wpri.com/target-12/were-...varies-by-age/

Hmm....parents of still-living-at-home twenty-somethings perhaps?

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-15-2020 at 07:36 PM..

Old 10-16-2020, 05:57 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Hmm....parents of still-living-at-home twenty-somethings perhaps?
As parents of a twenty-something who unexpectedly deferred the start of grad school due to this pandemic, we faced into this also. Our child took up a job to bridge the gap year, and decided to move into an apt rather than continuing to live with us. While we had mixed feelings about this (the unnecessary rent $, potential exposure in the apt building), it does minimize our risks from any exposure our child gets at work.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:28 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
We're going to get hit hard in january folks.
https://www.salemnews.com/news/local...7e5d913ba.html

Minimum wage hike

Insurance Hike for those that pay from the state

Paid leave

Unemployment insurance hike (average $320 more per employee!!)

I would not want to be working for a small to mid sized employer at this point. They have to freeze this grand bargain. There's no way you can tell me the state can afford this given the current climate.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:51 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
I'm still shocked that so many people have kept their jobs through all of this. Mostly white collar people of course. I don't know one person who works in an office who has been laid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts