Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2020, 01:13 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Where is "up there"? Lynn? I agree. Not many people wearing masks.
I think by "up there", the poster was referring to Massachusetts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 01:14 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post

I haven't read the contracts to see if they can be delayed or canceled but the South Coast Rail contracts for the main line to New Bedford with all the track work and construction of Middleborough, East Taunton, and the two New Bedford stations, a layover area in New Bedford, along with the track work were awarded in August. The smaller Fall River branch line contract was awarded last June. This is state capital spending with a big chunk of Federal COVID-19 relief funds and not part of the MBTA operating budget.

I don't see how they can stop the project without giving back the Federal money. There will be lots of yellow construction equipment and guys in hard hats in New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, and Middleborough.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:15 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Have you been spending time in Lynn? I was there the past 2 weekends, and everyone I saw was actually wearing a mask.
I spend a lot of time in Lynn. I don't see many masks other than at or around food establishments or shops. The folks otherwise walking around and hanging out are very often without masks. In my observations at least. It's not a knock on Lynn, if that's how it came across.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:41 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,805,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I haven't read the contracts to see if they can be delayed or canceled but the South Coast Rail contracts for the main line to New Bedford with all the track work and construction of Middleborough, East Taunton, and the two New Bedford stations, a layover area in New Bedford, along with the track work were awarded in August. The smaller Fall River branch line contract was awarded last June. This is state capital spending with a big chunk of Federal COVID-19 relief funds and not part of the MBTA operating budget.

I don't see how they can stop the project without giving back the Federal money. There will be lots of yellow construction equipment and guys in hard hats in New Bedford, Fall River, Taunton, and Middleborough.
I hope there is a way out. It would take funds from a project that was of questionable need and put them towards life support measures. I can't imagine what updated ridership projections for this line would be at now. I'd say boondoggle on scale of 1 to 10.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:53 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I hope there is a way out. It would take funds from a project that was of questionable need and put them towards life support measures. I can't imagine what updated ridership projections for this line would be at now. I'd say boondoggle on scale of 1 to 10.
It depends how much of this is grant funded vs operating. It's very hard to siphon off funding from grants. It's much easier if it's operating. In many cases spending takes awhile. ARRA (recovery act) funding took years before bidding and construction. To note CRRC's rail cars are delayed a year but the MBTA has not cancelled the order.

I've seen situations like this time and again where something grant based took awhile and then a recession hit but then others got confused as to what is the local or state government and what isn't.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:58 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

South Coast Rail is in before the cuts. That funding has been issued and is unrelated to any of the budget shortfalls the MBTA is facing in the coming years. Is Phase II (which would electrify it and run it through Stoughton thus speeding up trip time and opening the door for more frequent trains) in jeopardy? Absolutely. But the pandemic and current MBTA shortfalls won't stop the South Coast Rail project at this point.

Old 10-19-2020, 02:57 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
827 new cases today. Highest number since the spring. Yesterday's number was in the 700s.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:47 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
827 new cases today. Highest number since the spring. Yesterday's number was in the 700s.
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

^The graph on page 5 says we had a 864 day on Sept 28th?

Old 10-19-2020, 04:38 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
South Coast Rail is in before the cuts. That funding has been issued and is unrelated to any of the budget shortfalls the MBTA is facing in the coming years. Is Phase II (which would electrify it and run it through Stoughton thus speeding up trip time and opening the door for more frequent trains) in jeopardy? Absolutely. But the pandemic and current MBTA shortfalls won't stop the South Coast Rail project at this point.
Electrification certainly can make things faster. CT put theirs all along the coast which wasn't a bright idea. Maybe they might be able to sell off parts if they switch. I'm not saying diesel is better but electric mixed with rising sea water isn't a good combination. Reminds me the planned idea of Pittsfield to Greenfield to Fitchburg might not be off the table either depending on the scheduling.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 PM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

^The graph on page 5 says we had a 864 day on Sept 28th?
hmm not sure. The source i got this number from says today is the highest day since spring. I dont recall a number in the 800s in september...

I had a conference call with a group from a large pharma company based in chicago and they were all in the office. They said it's pretty contained there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts